Favourite regional foods

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Over on the worst food threads it appears that one man's meat is another mans...

well you get the idea.

I know a lot of people travel around either following Saints or for work and must come across many types of food only available in one area.

What are your favourite foods that you can't seem to get anywhere else?

Gypsy Tart

Romany Slag

Medway Mud

Saw it for sale once in a Shirley bakery but otherwise only found it in Kent by myself. I've tried baking one myself before but failed, wish I could talk mrs h into making them but she thinks that they taste (and look) like ****. tbf they do look like a **** pie but as for taste, no way hose A.

Pure unadulterated pleasure in a shortcrust pastry case.

Lardy Cake.

You have NO idea how much I miss those, especially early in the morning from Reeves the Bakers while still warm.

Down here? Grilled Haloumi Cheese and Lebanese Red Wine.

Hell, Cornish Pasties? they're even sold down here, alongside Haggis (yuk)

Cornish pasty you idiot, this should be everyones answer.

Kip is right of course. Not Ginsters though. Proper pasty.

But then that doesn't really cover the "what are your favourite foods that you can't seem to get anywhere else?" bit. As you can get and indeed smash pasty just about everywhere.

So i'll go for sobrasada. It's like a spreadable chorizo. Found in Spain but with apparently no supplier in the UK. Which is a travesty as it's f::ckin lush.

Gypsy Tart

Romany Slag

Medway Mud

Saw it for sale once in a Shirley bakery but otherwise only found it in Kent by myself. I've tried baking one myself before but failed, wish I could talk mrs h into making them but she thinks that they taste (and look) like ****. tbf they do look like a **** pie but as for taste, no way hose A.

Pure unadulterated pleasure in a shortcrust pastry case.

luv em bake my own now, plenty of bakers round here sell em

Chilli Bites.

Sold at a number of Farm Shops down in SA on the road from Sun City to Jo'Burg

Is like a beef jerky - technical name Biltong with Chilli in. Can get pre-packed ones but never the same.

INGREDIENTS

• 500 grams roasting beef.(Silverside, Topside or such)(London Broil) cut into very thin long strips
  • 2 tbs of brown vinegar
  • 1 tbs of Worcestershire sauce
  • Some good quality coarse salt (about a cup should do)
  • 1 tbs of soft brown sugar
  • White pepper
  • 1 tsp of chilli powder or peri-peri spice
  • Roasted ground coriander.(a very important spice in Biltong so be liberal!!)
  • A teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, especially if venison or a lower grade of meat is used

METHOD

• Punch some small holes in the lids of two small bottles and pour the vinegar in one and the Worcestershire sauce in the other
  • Dust the meat with some white pepper, the bicarbonate of soda, coriander and chilli powder or peri-peri spice
  • Sprinkle a little of the coarse salt and sugar on the bottom of the marinating dish
  • Layer the meat in the dish with the thicker pieces at the bottom
  • Over each layer sprinkle a bit of the vinegar and the Worcestershire sauce
  • Sprinkle a little more salt and sugar
  • Ensure that you utilize the spices in such a manner that they run out just as you pack the last pieces of meat in the dish
  • Let the meat draw in its own brine for about 12 hours
  • Remove the meat and squeeze dry with your hands ensuring that no salt or spices cling to the meat
  • At this stage you may want to press some more coriander, coarsely ground black pepper and chilli powder or peri-peri spice(watch out, don't make it too hot!) into the meat.
  • Make sure that you take note of the proceedings so that you are able to make adjustments later, if necessary, with subsequent batches.
  • Skewer the meat and hang

NOTE

In the BILTONG MAKER it will take overnight to dry.
    Under the rafters it will take longer and watch out for the flies!

@ Dubai Phil, they sell them on Shirley High Street, in the Carribean Food Shop, or World Food Shop, not sure if it changed names or not. Big Posters in the window saying BILTONG

Biltong is the generic family, seen them in Tesco's when I was back it's the Chilli Bites that kick ass, especially with a few beers

Another Kent one and as far as I am aware only available from a certain family chain of butchers.

The amazing Burger Puff.

I am quite sure that it is the presence of the Burger Puff that has prevented Maccy D's from setting up shop poisoning the local population.

SandwicSaint and Colinjb (amongst others) I am sure will endorse this food item. Much as I like Gypsy Tart, it is the Burger Puff that keeps calling me home.

Knew a scouse colleague who would go into a chippy and ask for a fried pie. Nice fella, sadly died of a heart attack a few years back. Never sure whether it was the fags, the booze or the fried pie that saw him off.

:lol:

I had a friend who was partial to a doner meat pizza back at uni... I imagine you can get that anywhere though. Apart from Norfolk or Cornwall.

Another Kent one and as far as I am aware only available from a certain family chain of butchers.

The amazing Burger Puff.

I am quite sure that it is the presence of the Burger Puff that has prevented Maccy D's from setting up shop poisoning the local population.

SandwicSaint and Colinjb (amongst others) I am sure will endorse this food item. Much as I like Gypsy Tart, it is the Burger Puff that keeps calling me home.

Please explain what a burger puff is. I am intrigued.

Please explain what a burger puff is. I am intrigued.

In simple terms it is a gert big burger, topped with really tangy relish and baked in puff pastry. They cost about 80p and one is never enough for me. They bake them in-store but for some unexplained reason they stop baking them at about half one in the afternoon so invariably run out.

Not to be confused with your run of the mill beefburger.

Thanks. They do look nice but I fear I would get too fat.

Define?

Thus is making me hanker for one right now arghhh!

I should also add that as the delicacy cooks the juices from the (Kentish) beef ozzes into the bottom layer of pastry making every last crumb full of flavour. It's the kind of food that you have to shake the bag that it comes in to get the last bits into one corner and hold it aloft tipping every last bit into your mouth.

Let's have another lokk:

097764146a394b239658a319ae9f27fc.jpg