Problem, Reaction, Solution

Crab Lungs

One for the conspiracy theorists.

You may have heard of this terminology before. The only way I can describe it is that it is allegedly a government ploy to turn the world into a police state.

Create the problem, generate a reaction (outrage) from the populace and then provide an already mooted solution (approval because of the incident).

Case in point was at the turn of the year. Rumours about that airports will be trialling body scanners, which some people believe to be intrusive. Within days of the news of the scanners, some nutter trys and blows up his pants on an airplane.

Then, strangely enough, a solution is offered - body scanners! Now, because of this incident body scanners will become a mandatory thing (as if they weren't already - the were already on order!)

You may or may not agree with the thinking behind this theory but having listened to alot of Alex Jones' (prisonplanet.com) shows recently it has certainly got me thinking. Whilst he is notably vociferous with his tirades, it does make you think - what if this is how governments act? What if there are agendas beyond our own knowledge?

The example above was one of many and I'm sure many of you on here will have heard of many similar incidents which could be categorised as 'Problem, reaction, solution' - manufactured problems to create hysteria amongst the public so that governments can push their ideas and plans through - but how many of you believe it?

FWIW, anything that makes the public safer is a great idea but is there more behind what we are commonly told?

Over to you, theorists!

within 2 days of 9/11 a guy i knew said that he reckoned the US government were 'behind it', and did so in order to get the world's backing for invading Iraq (primarily for the oil). I dismissed it as nonsense at first, but a matter of months later Iraq is invaded.. then when you watch things like the Michael Moore documentary about it, it does make you sit up and think "hmmm, there might BE something to this conspiracy theory ". :smt102

the same guy that i spoke to also claimed that the US government was responsible for bombing Pearl Harbour,in order to gain backing from the American public to join the War! ( seems extremely barbaric and totally unjustifiable to normal people , but who knows how the inner workings of a government REALLY work) :confused:

Edited by saint boggy

the same guy that i spoke to also claimed that the US government was responsible for bombing Pearl Harbour,in order to gain backing from the American public to join the War! ( seems extremely barbaric and totally unjustifiable to normal people , but who knows how the inner working of the government REALLY work) :confused:

Hmmm, sounds similar to what many people say. Allegedly the US public had a rather indifferent attitude towards the wars raging overseas, a kind of 'it's not our war' mentality.

Then of course there is also the viewpoint that a war is 'good' for the economy, though I do not know enough to comment intelligently about that theory.

From what I've read and seen, the US did do quite a lot provoke the Japanese if I was to believe some theories. And, worringly, when you do look at it from this somewhat morbid perspective sometimes you get the feeling that there is always an ulterior motive beyond our knowledge...

I was listening to Radio 5 Live whilst driving the other day and they were reporting on the stockpiles of swine flu vaccine.

One expert suggested that the whole swine flu thing had been vastly overdramatised by the drug companies (and GSK in particular) in order to boost the orders for the vaccine.

Apparently, Poland refused to buy any of the vaccines and NOT A SINGLE PERSON died of swine flu in that country.

How true this all is I haven't a clue - but it does make you wonder.

The drugs companies are very clever at manipulating worried people. Think about all the pressure groups they 'support' that pressure for some cancer drugs that haven't been fully trialled to be available. They feed off the understandable hopes of some sufferers.

From what I've read and seen, the US did do quite a lot provoke the Japanese if I was to believe some theories. And, worringly, when you do look at it from this somewhat morbid perspective sometimes you get the feeling that there is always an ulterior motive beyond our knowledge...

I think the Japanese didn't need any provocation to attack and invade large parts of Asia and the Pacific islands. The war didn't start with Pearl Harbor, millions of Chinese were massacred long before then, starting in 1931, and in the Nanking massacre of 1937 the troops killed over 200,000 men, women and children. They don't teach this part of their history in Japan today.

I think the Japanese didn't need any provocation to attack and invade large parts of Asia and the Pacific islands. The war didn't start with Pearl Harbor, millions of Chinese were massacred long before then, starting in 1931, and in the Nanking massacre of 1937 the troops killed over 200,000 men, women and children. They don't teach this part of their history in Japan today.[/QUOTE]

no, i bet they don't!... WG, i know the War didn't start with Pearl Harbour, but that's when the US's Military involvement did. And the conspiracy theorist could argue that the US used the Japanese's reputation for unprovoked brutal attacks to their advantage.....i mean who wouldn't believe that the Japanese were capable of plotting against the Americans and carrying out viscious and deadly attacks when they had been known to do it ,as you say, in Asia and the Pacific Islands??? It certainly makes you wonder, doesn't it! :cool:

no, i bet they don't!... WG, i know the War didn't start with Pearl Harbour, but that's when the US's Military involvement did. And the conspiracy theorist could argue that the US used the Japanese's reputation for unprovoked brutal attacks to their advantage.....i mean who wouldn't believe that the Japanese were capable of plotting against the Americans and carrying out viscious and deadly attacks when they had been known to do it ,as you say, in Asia and the Pacific Islands??? It certainly makes you wonder, doesn't it! :cool:

There was certainlky a lot of 'pressure' from Churchill for America to enter the war but Roosevelt was restricted by the strong pacifist elements in society. From the military point of view the attack was not a surprise and indeed the carriers were sent to sea as a precaution, but it was a massive blow to the Pacific fleet and the government would not have needed such destruction to have won over the American people. It may have been a miscalculation in that an attack by the Japanese would have been welcomed by some quarters of the military but that the resulting devastation was far greater than they had expected. Interestingly the Japanese had learned from the success of our attack on the Italian fleet at Taranto and had put a lot of research into attacking a fleet in a protected anchorage, even into how to launch aerial torpedos into shallow water.

One for the conspiracy theorists.

You may have heard of this terminology before. The only way I can describe it is that it is allegedly a government ploy to turn the world into a police state.

Create the problem, generate a reaction (outrage) from the populace and then provide an already mooted solution (approval because of the incident).

Case in point was at the turn of the year. Rumours about that airports will be trialling body scanners, which some people believe to be intrusive. Within days of the news of the scanners, some nutter trys and blows up his pants on an airplane.

Then, strangely enough, a solution is offered - body scanners! Now, because of this incident body scanners will become a mandatory thing (as if they weren't already - the were already on order!)

You may or may not agree with the thinking behind this theory but having listened to alot of Alex Jones' (prisonplanet.com) shows recently it has certainly got me thinking. Whilst he is notably vociferous with his tirades, it does make you think - what if this is how governments act? What if there are agendas beyond our own knowledge?

The example above was one of many and I'm sure many of you on here will have heard of many similar incidents which could be categorised as 'Problem, reaction, solution' - manufactured problems to create hysteria amongst the public so that governments can push their ideas and plans through - but how many of you believe it?

FWIW, anything that makes the public safer is a great idea but is there more behind what we are commonly told?

Over to you, theorists!

Get a job!

within 2 days of 9/11 a guy i knew said that he reckoned the US government were 'behind it', and did so in order to get the world's backing for invading Iraq (primarily for the oil). I dismissed it as nonsense at first, but a matter of months later Iraq is invaded.. then when you watch things like the Michael Moore documentary about it, it does make you sit up and think "hmmm, there might BE something to this conspiracy theory ". :smt102

the same guy that i spoke to also claimed that the US government was responsible for bombing Pearl Harbour,in order to gain backing from the American public to join the War! ( seems extremely barbaric and totally unjustifiable to normal people , but who knows how the inner workings of a government REALLY work) :confused:

Both seem to be quite widely subscribed schools of thought.

There is also an idea Bush orchestrated 9/11 as he was very insecure in his seat as President due to the whole recount debacle in the 2000 election. Post 9/11 this entire debate to his legitimacy vanished overnight.

Im not claiming that this is neccessarily my view. But there are many that think this. With these sorts of theories and theorist (as those mentioned in the OP and Zeitgiest series of films) it has to be remembered they must be taken with a pinch of salt.

They are often made by extremely intelligent and eloquent people, that are cherry picking facts/stats/accusations in order to present a case they wish to project. In my opinion whilst they often make interesting points they are regularly guilty of exactly what they are accusing other groups/governments of doing.

Both seem to be quite widely subscribed schools of thought.

There is also an idea Bush orchestrated 9/11 as he was very insecure in his seat as President due to the whole recount debacle in the 2000 election. Post 9/11 this entire debate to his legitimacy vanished overnight.

Im not claiming that this is neccessarily my view. But there are many that think this. With these sorts of theories and theorist (as those mentioned in the OP and Zeitgiest series of films) it has to be remembered they must be taken with a pinch of salt.

They are often made by extremely intelligent and eloquent people, that are cherry picking facts/stats/accusations in order to present a case they wish to project. In my opinion whilst they often make interesting points they are regularly guilty of exactly what they are accusing other groups/governments of doing.

I have to agree with this. I tend to think that there probably is alot of under-handed things going on in governments that we don't know about, but I have yet to see any REAL evidence of it.

I've watched some of the Zeitgeist series and, if nothing, it's at least interesting. However, it's way too biased. Like you say, these are intelligent people, but they seem to miss out one of the most importants aspects of debate: showing both sides of story.