Southampton Nostalgia - Department Stores

spyinthesky

I seem to recall the Green Shield Stamp showroom being along Queensway, opposite Debenhams.

Connor & Mitchell's also used to have a shop in East Street, back in the days when you had independent sports stores.

Wasn't the store in Woolston John Conning, before it was taken over by Trevor Mitchell who changed its name to Connor & Mitchell?

Blimey, I even remember walking into Debenhams through the East St entrance and never failing to be amazed by their range of fishing rods and other outdoor pursuit equipment.

Not quite as big a range as here, though: http://www.basspro.com/homepage.html

Then there was that other modelling shop a just a bit further down Below Bar on the other side of the street, spent a lot of time in there drooling over (and occasionally buying) bits of balsa wood and solid fuel rocket motors. That was just by the bus stop where you got the Number 14 to go home from the Swimming Baths. Couldn't possibly rtell you the name of it though

Patstone & Cox. Also had football shirts in wooden draws marked 'QPR', 'West Ham' etc

and all the subuteo teams

Connor and Mitchell was run by Barry Connor who was Secretary of Southampton Sunday Football league in early 70's

Patstone & Cox. Also had football shirts in wooden draws marked 'QPR', 'West Ham' etc

Worked there on saturdays for a couple of years. Used to keep maggots for fishing in a fridge in the cellar. Then 1 day I was stood at the top of the stairs and could hear a buzzing. The door of the fridge had been left open and all the maggots had hatched! Couldn't get into the cellar for bluebottles:)

Not quite in Southampton, but can anyone remember a supermarket in Eastleigh where Litten Tree (and other units either side) is now?

It was called Torbocks or something.

I remember going there as a kid and buying my Star Wars figures from the toy section upstairs.

Torbocks it was and they used to do home delivery, with an old boy packing all your shopping into cardboard boxes before going off on his rounds. No toy section until later, early 70's? when the store extended upstairs.

Torbocks it was and they used to do home delivery, with an old boy packing all your shopping into cardboard boxes before going off on his rounds. No toy section until later, early 70's? when the store extended upstairs.

I remember it from the late 70's early 80's.

Also, there used to be a carpark where the Swan Centre now is.

Then there was that other modelling shop a just a bit further down Below Bar on the other side of the street, spent a lot of time in there drooling over (and occasionally buying) bits of balsa wood and solid fuel rocket motors. That was just by the bus stop where you got the Number 14 to go home from the Swimming Baths. Couldn't possibly rtell you the name of it though

I think this was called 'Beatties'. Sold Hornby railway bits & bobs & Airfix models as well.