Hants v Durham

chrisobee

Hants won toss and will bat. Teams:

Hampshire team

JHK Adams, MA Carberry, JM Vince, ND McKenzie, CC Benham, N Pothas*†, SM Ervine, Kabir Ali, JA Tomlinson, DR Briggs, DA Griffiths

Durham team

MJ Di Venuto, KJ Coetzer, WR Smith*, DM Benkenstein, ID Blackwell, BA Stokes, P Mustard†, LE Plunkett, CD Thorp, ME Claydon, M Davies

So still no Rangana Herath, is he playing in the 20/20 WC ?

Hants won toss and will bat. Teams:

Hampshire team

JHK Adams, MA Carberry, JM Vince, ND McKenzie, CC Benham, N Pothas*†, SM Ervine, Kabir Ali, JA Tomlinson, DR Briggs, DA Griffiths

Durham team

MJ Di Venuto, KJ Coetzer, WR Smith*, DM Benkenstein, ID Blackwell, BA Stokes, P Mustard†, LE Plunkett, CD Thorp, ME Claydon, M Davies

So still no Rangana Herath, is he playing in the 20/20 WC ?

I believe there has been some aeroplane problems, somewhere. At least I thought that's what I heard. ;)

Pleased to see Vince in for Dawson, he looked a real class act the few times I saw him last season.

I think I read that Herath was having problems with his visa. Can't say I'm too bothered as I don't think he'll set the world alight in April and it gives Briggs, another youngster who looks promising, a good opportunity.

Hants 66/0 at present so a solid start.

Wishful thinking but maybe the pitch isn't that good after all ! Hard to explain why year after year we seem to collapse like this, a middle order of McKenzie, Benham, Pothas and Ervine isn't that shabby though I'm not sure Kabir Ali is a no 8 ?

Wishful thinking but maybe the pitch isn't that good after all ! Hard to explain why year after year we seem to collapse like this, a middle order of McKenzie, Benham, Pothas and Ervine isn't that shabby though I'm not sure Kabir Ali is a no 8 ?

The pitch seemed Ok when Carberry and Adams were at the crease.

Couldn't say for sure of course because we don't get cricket here but I'd wager there have been more than a few one day hoicks in our collapse.

At least the tail will wag us past 300

The pitch seemed Ok when Carberry and Adams were at the crease.

Couldn't say for sure of course because we don't get cricket here but I'd wager there have been more than a few one day hoicks in our collapse.

Possibly and just one reason why I'm totally convinced there is too much one day cricket. If they were going to do away with 50 overs a side then just drop that competition and have 4 day games and 20/20. That way those who enjoy the longer format like quite a few of us should get enough "proper" cricket and those who enjoy 20/20 will get their fix. Just how boring is the IPL smiley-sleep001.gif

Yeh Kabir is probably one place too high at number 8 but until Dimi comes back not a lot else we can do.

Yeh Kabir is probably one place too high at number 8 but until Dimi comes back not a lot else we can do.

I totally agree and it's not a criticism of Kabir but an observation. Don't forget Corky isn't playing either and he could bat at 8. When Dimi returns he might even find himself coming in at number 8 !

All out for 345. Just missed the bonus point then. Good to see Danny Briggs get some runs - he made a quickfire 28. I used to do some coaching work with Hampshire a few years back and worked with Danny's age group when he was 13 and 14. Obviously he's a great bowler and has been recognised for that, but i reckon in a few years, providing he continues to work on his batting, he could turn into a genuinely all-rounder and bat at 6 or 7.

Not too sure how clued up on the youth system you guys are, but there are a few young lads with real ability coming through the ranks at the minute, so the future certainly looks bright for us.

Well Durham have made a similar start to ours, passing 100 without losing a wicket. I bet they don't waste it like we did yesterday. When is Corky back and when is Jones likely to be fit? Like our middle order, without Lumb and Dimi, our bowling attack seems to lack penetration (yet again).

Yeah, there's enough overs left for Durham to win this comfortably. Very disappointing result, but it is hardly surprising with what is basically a second string bowling attack.

Is it though? Apart from Dimi and Herath if he ever turns up who else do we have. Jones clearly needs to work still on his fitness and I assume Cork is mainly going to play one dayers.

Is it though? Apart from Dimi and Herath if he ever turns up who else do we have. Jones clearly needs to work still on his fitness and I assume Cork is mainly going to play one dayers.

Taking Jones out the equation, it is still a much weakened attack for me. Corky would be in my Championship every game. Not just for his bowling, but he also chips in with very useful runs down the order. He's also clearly a leader in the dressing room.

Dimi is also a huge loss to our bowling attack as well. He would have been ideal today in the Durham run chase. Looking at the seamers who have been playing so far, Griffiths, Kabir, Tomlinson and especially Ervine all stray it around. The line up really lacks a 'control' guy, and once Dimi is fit again he should slot right in.

As well as those two then, you add in one of the overseas spinners, and then that's pretty much half the attack.

As far as the batting goes, with Lumb back in for Benham, and then Dimi in for someone else, the line up looks very solid and much more balanced than it has done in the last 2 games.

Carbs, Adams, Lumb, McKenzie, Pothas, Ervine, Dimi, Cork, Kabir, Tomlinson, Briggs.

That looks a very very good championship side, and i haven't even included one of the overseas spinners. I'm hopeful that we can still have a successful season, although it may take a month or so to get our full line up available. Until then, continue to play the likes of Vince, Briggs and Griffiths. Frankly, i've been really impressed with all three of them so far.