Duram v Hants 40 overs

Weston Saint

Hampshire won the toss and will field

Durham team

P Mustard†, ID Blackwell, BW Harmison, WR Smith*, DM Benkenstein, GJ Muchall, BA Stokes, GR Breese, LE Plunkett, WRS Gidman, C Rushworth

Hampshire team

MA Carberry, JHK Adams, JM Vince, ND McKenzie, N Pothas*†, SM Ervine, LA Dawson, DG Cork, H Riazuddin, DR Briggs, Tomlinson

Edited by Weston Saint
late team change Tomlinson for Griffiths

They seem too casual with poor leadership and discipline - but maybe they are just not good enough.

C'mon fellah, chin up we started like this two years ago...then Tahir appeared & we almost won the championship. Lumb's coming back, Dimi's coming back, Jones is nearly fit & we've got some foreign spinner who no ones ever heard of, in the last stages of Visa clearance. We haven't become rubbish overnight. I think we're be ok.

C'mon fellah, chin up we started like this two years ago...then Tahir appeared & we almost won the championship. Lumb's coming back, Dimi's coming back, Jones is nearly fit & we've got some foreign spinner who no ones ever heard of, in the last stages of Visa clearance. We haven't become rubbish overnight. I think we're be ok.

Indeed so, a team something like this doesn't seem at all bad and with Jones hopefully able to play a few games our bowling will improve heaps and early season batting is often up and down with Hants.

Lumb

Carberry

Adams

McKenzie

Vince

Pothas

Ervine

Mascarenhas

Kabir

Tomlimson

Herath

Herath is the 2nd spinner in the Sri Lankan team behind Muralitharan, has taken something like 640 1st class wickets with an average around 24/25. Very experienced ( 32 I think) so should add a lot to our team.

Lumb's not coming back for a while, he's going to play in the T20 World Cup. Dimi is out injured until at least June, Jones is unlikely to play until June/July at the very earliest and I don't see Herath doing much better than Briggs who has started the season well.

Big mistake to let Tahir go (which he'll no doubt prove in the Championship match this week). I'm worried, it already looks like the season is going to be T20 or bust which is a shame as although a bit of fun, it's not really cricket.

Lumb's not coming back for a while, he's going to play in the T20 World Cup. Dimi is out injured until at least June, Jones is unlikely to play until June/July at the very earliest and I don't see Herath doing much better than Briggs who has started the season well.

Big mistake to let Tahir go (which he'll no doubt prove in the Championship match this week). I'm worried, it already looks like the season is going to be T20 or bust which is a shame as although a bit of fun, it's not really cricket.

Too many players with commitments elsewhere, until we can sort out some kind of settled side we will only go down, we cannot only plan for the lottery of the 20/20 each year which seems our intention

Too many players with commitments elsewhere, until we can sort out some kind of settled side we will only go down, we cannot only plan for the lottery of the 20/20 each year which seems our intention

Ah I know, i may have been overly optimistic in my previous post, but the word is that Herath may be the dog's swingers (visa pending!) Too be honest the championships a bit of a lottery. At the start of the season I thought we could come first ...last...mid-table....god knows, theres so many factors (weather, England call-ups, sporting declarations) I'll be honest i'm a bit of a purist myself, but i'd love Hants to do well in T20 & get in the 'World Champinship of mega-stars' or whatever it's called. I mean I used to watch Nigel Cowley bowl in-front of 3 supporters & 6 stewards fot god's sake!

It annoyed me that Dimi was in the ITV4 studio doing the punditory for the IPL final yesterday, rather than with the team in Durham. I know he's injured and I know, if he wasn't, he'd still have been in India but as club captain, I would have thought his commitment was with them.