Eye floaters

Red Alert

Bet someone thought only they had them :D

What the feck are these things anyway, you can always see them but cannot look at them. Why can I not control them to go where I look?

Someone needs to investigate the eye floaters and find out what their true motives are. :smt096

This thread reminds me of a time when I was a kid, about 8 or 9, when, on a trip to Chessington, I somehow managed to get a bogey lodged behind my eyeball, and spent the whole day in the First Aid office getting drenched in water as the park employee vainly tried dislodging it. It did come out eventually, but I missed the whole day of fun.

This thread reminds me of a time when I was a kid, about 8 or 9, when, on a trip to Chessington, I somehow managed to get a bogey lodged behind my eyeball, and spent the whole day in the First Aid office getting drenched in water as the park employee vainly tried dislodging it. It did come out eventually, but I missed the whole day of fun.

That is amazing, did you sniff really hard? or pick your nose and decide it would be best to poke your eye with the goods.

My wife gets them.

To change subject slightly. Anyone get ocular migraines? Imagine visuals of a CD spinning (flashing a rainbow of colours) in one eye and slowly makes it's way to the other eye in an arc. They're quite fun to watch when they're happening at the time (unless you're driving) but are usually followed by tiredness and and a headache.

Why can I not control them to go where I look?

Great thread, I was thinking about these the other day whilst in the garden, looking at the sun with my eyes slightly closed and trying to get mine to stay still. They are funny little buggers aren't they, you can kind of move them but they have a mind of their own and move back to where they were to start with.

I kept trying to move one to the left and I could get it to move each time I moved my eye to the left, but then the floater moved itself back to the right again. This went on for a while until I tired of trying as I know they can't be controlled for more than a split second.

And also, why are they see-through, but yet you can still see them? That's a bit odd.

That is amazing, did you sniff really hard? or pick your nose and decide it would be best to poke your eye with the goods.

If memory serves, my Hay Fever had been acting up, and I sleepily wiped my eyes (as you do first thing in the morning), and took a bogey to the eyeball. Not pleasant, it bloody hurt. They eventually fished it out with water and the corner of a tissue, but to this day I'm pleased I don't have to wear contact lenses, it would freak me out.

My wife gets them.

To change subject slightly. Anyone get ocular migraines? Imagine visuals of a CD spinning (flashing a rainbow of colours) in one eye and slowly makes it's way to the other eye in an arc. They're quite fun to watch when they're happening at the time (unless you're driving) but are usually followed by tiredness and and a headache.

i started getting those when i was pregnant with my first child. quite scary when driving,i lost most of my most peripharal (sp) vision. never actually got the headache's afterwards though (thank god!)

it went on sporadically for a year and a a half before i went to the Doctor about it. He said that it is closely linked with excessive amounts of oestrogen (sp) ,which linked in nicely to the pregnancy thing!. He also said that they can, in the worst case scenario,be a precursor to a stroke!, :shock: so was advised to come off the pill to see if they stopped then..... and they did stop! :)..PHEW!!!

Edited by saint boggy

Anything to do with the eye you should get it checked out.

I discovered a couple of months ago that I have macular degeneration, typically only old people get this but apparently it's hereditary. I noticed that I was gradually losing part of my central vision in my left eye, especially when focusing on something. Went to the optician on a Monday to have my sight checked & he picked up on a grey sac behind my eye (it's weird seeing a photo of the back of your eye !), he told me to go to my GP to be referred to the eye hospital within the week, got on the triage list at my doctors the next morning. She referred me there & then to the emergency eye dept at QA, got an appt the same afternoon, they couldn't decide on what it was so had to go back on the Wednesday for more tests, diagonised MD and was booked in the following day for the beginning of a course of injections in my eye !

I was told that eye floaters are caused by small fibrous particles around the retina detaching and floating around in the fluid within the eyeball. Because they are located within the eye it is not possible to focus on them and hence they appear faint and blurred. It is quite normal as you get older to start seeing them apparently...I hope so, I have loads!