Plan B

cellone

Can't be any worse than our previous Plan B. Sticking Zoltan Liptak up front for the last 10 mins.

Thought he did quite well up there ;) Gotta be down as one of the most pointless signings ever along with Gasmi who never played.

To Be Fair to Liptak , he probably came closer to scoring than most of our strikers that season minus Mcgoldrick.

I heard he does not have a plan B but a plan C instead.

Wow this Nigel must eat 4 shedded wheats for breakfast.

Seriously now, good managers have a Plan B but if you don't have a good bench then it's impossible to change anything.

A plan B could also mean switch the two wingers but IMHO that's something any manager should do to keep the fullbacks guessing.

I, like most people on here would like to think i know a little about football tactics and what's needed via substitutions, to change a game.

I bore everyone ****less at games analysing the way we play, the formations etc; and over a number of years i have come away from games trying to work out what a particular manager was trying to do with his "Plan B". Now as you all know we have not been short of football managers over the last few years, but quite frankly i am bemused at some of the strange team selections and substitutions that have been made.

Of course you could say i am basing this on the fact that i think i am right, of course i do, but for just once i would love to understand what is going on, and the thinking behind a substitution .Nigel Adkins, over to you.

Not exactly about having a 'plan b' but found this article, written when S****horpe were last in the Championship, which gives a fairly detailed profile of Adkins' early management career.

http://soccerlens.com/nigel-adkins-profile/6223/

Unfortunately the punctuation doesn't show up properly, but here are some of the more interesting bits related to his style of play and management:

Style of Play

Adkins has a rigorous approach to football management, and frequently varies his tactics based on opposition strengths and weaknesses. Although he has only been managing at league level for two seasons, and has managed in two vastly different divisions during that short time, certain patterns have emerged with regard to Adkins’ preferred style. At Bangor, Adkins created a team which played from the back, with a more patient style. He used strong midfielders and created chances from both clever passing moves and through placing a strong emphasis on wing play and crossing.

During his first season as S****horpe boss, Adkins had two main focuses: set pieces, and defensive discipline. He knew from his previous time with the Iron that they were a real handful going forward, and continued to favour young, enthusiastic, and pacy forwards (Keogh and Sharp, Beckford and now Paterson). However, it became necessary to shore up a leaky backline, which he promptly did by conducting extra training sessions with the brief of stopping opposition goals from set pieces, and retaining defensive discipline until the last (United had been conceding late goals on a regular basis).

Defensive soundness was the key to Adkins’ early success, and it is telling that in a season in which the club won the league with a massive 91 points, the player of the season was Steve Foster, and the club only let in 35 goals all season, the best record in the division by some length. Adkins also worked assiduously and ardently on attacking set plays, and whilst The Iron have not been known for their attacking flair, either in the title-winning canter or in the relegation scrap – one of the few charges we can level at the man – his side outperformed all others in League One in terms goals scored from set pieces. A great percentage of United’s goals this season have come from dead ball situations, and the club can expect to continue in this vein now that Grant McCann is fit to deliver.

Management style

Adkins is a very passionate and popular manager who treats his players with respect and sensitivity and generally eschews the spotlight. Hardly the hairdryer type, he is evidently very approachable, as shown from his time as a physio, when his players would use him as a “shoulder to cry on” and pick his thoughts when they had problems. He is also very much a thinker, and can be clearly seen to be attempting to mould together his own particular philosophy, lacing together disparate strands of knowledge – his full UEFA A badge, his physiotherapy qualifications, his sports psychology diploma, his business and finance degree, and his experience from the Warwick Business School “applied management in professional football” course, which can count the likes of Mark Hughes, Aidy Boothroyd and Paul Ince amongst its graduates – to offer his players and his club a holistic service. As Adkins told the Daily Mail:

” All of it is put to use […] Knowledge is valuable. Everything is relevant to somebody. It’s all about finding a trigger to get the best out of that individual”.

A “modern” manager, he is not afraid to try new things to motivate his players, as we can demonstrate with an anecdote. At the beginning of the season, one of his players suggested, with some temerity, that they mightn’t be able to cut it at Championship level. Adkin’s response? He cut a film, intersticing shots of the players’ title-winning season with scenes from the movie Gladiator, to demonstrate the power of resistance and positive thinking.

I have to admit that, having only downloaded his albums from the other side of the planet, i thought he was black, a dizee rip off (1st album) and a Marvin Gaye copycat (2nd album). Imagine my surprise when I saw a picture of a white kid in a recent Q!.

Anyway, back to NA, - anyone who can win promotion from this league on a budget "playing football" MUST have several strategies to get the best out of limited resources.

Remember too, that our first win last season was 2-0 vs Yeovil on, or around the 20th Sept (i know 'cos I was there and turned 50 on that day). NA has time - there's no need to panic yet.

Cheers for digging that out for-heavens-saint. The more I find out the more I like NA. Starting to regain a bit of confidence in saints, hopefully this will grow even more after tomorrows game.

Ozkieth2 check out Dizraeli for good honest british hip hop.

I remember him coming off the bench once with 10 minutes to go, tripping over himself on the halfway line, then stumbling all the way into the oppositions penalty box before falling over. He was like a giraffe on crack.

This is starting to become urban legend - I assure you he fell over on the edge of our box and stumbled to the halfway line (all the time with the ball variously about his person, somehow).

I have never seen a giraffe on crack but sounds about right.

I, like most people on here would like to think i know a little about football tactics and what's needed via substitutions, to change a game.

I bore everyone ****less at games analysing the way we play, the formations etc; and over a number of years i have come away from games trying to work out what a particular manager was trying to do with his "Plan B". Now as you all know we have not been short of football managers over the last few years, but quite frankly i am bemused at some of the strange team selections and substitutions that have been made.

Of course you could say i am basing this on the fact that i think i am right, of course i do, but for just once i would love to understand what is going on, and the thinking behind a substitution .Nigel Adkins, over to you.

Honestly ? I don't think we've made a substitution at St Mary's in about 5 years when it hasn't been immediately apparent what the plan was.

Other than taking Oxlade-Chamberlain off last week of course, which has retrospectively been allocated to "cramp" by Wilkins' comments about his substitution in the following match.

I have to admit that, having only downloaded his albums from the other side of the planet, i thought he was black, a dizee rip off (1st album) and a Marvin Gaye copycat (2nd album). Imagine my surprise when I saw a picture of a white kid in a recent Q!.

Anyway, back to NA, - anyone who can win promotion from this league on a budget "playing football" MUST have several strategies to get the best out of limited resources.

Remember too, that our first win last season was 2-0 vs Yeovil on, or around the 20th Sept (i know 'cos I was there and turned 50 on that day). NA has time - there's no need to panic yet.

It was on the 19th. Are you sure you know when your birthday is? :D

Honestly ? I don't think we've made a substitution at St Mary's in about 5 years when it hasn't been immediately apparent what the plan was.

Other than taking Oxlade-Chamberlain off last week of course, which has retrospectively been allocated to "cramp" by Wilkins' comments about his substitution in the following match.

Ok fair enough, you are right, some i did understand, a lot i couldn't. I even took to drinking a few beers before the game to get a better understanding, during the Burley era.Can you say you have not been at a loss to what some of our managers have been doing over the last 5 years.You seem to, by your posts, have a good understanding of the game?

Anyway, let's hope the 11 on the pitch are playing so well that we don't need to make substitutes tonight.