Japanese F1 GP

Guest Hacienda

Fernando Alonso has vowed to help Felipe Massa beat his former McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton to this year's World title.

Last season Alonso, then driving for McLaren, was the one involved in a title battle with Hamilton, which led to a great deal of rivalry and animosity within the team and Alonso's subsequent departure after just one year.

This year, though, it's Massa whose locked in the title race with Hamilton, with Alonso vowing to do all he can to help the Ferrari driver beat his former team-mate.

"Yes, no doubt, if I can help, I will help Massa," Alonso told AS newspaper.

As for this year's Championship battle the Renault driver concedes that either driver has reign supreme as both Massa and Hamilton have lost points to each other as well as others during the course of the season.

"They have lost a lot of points," Alonso said of the title rivals. "After 16 races the leader has 84 points. In 2006 I had 82 in nine races.

"In this Championship the drivers who are up there have scored few points. But in the end the one who makes the least errors will win. We'll see."

With a total of 20 points still to play for Hamilton holds a five-point advantage over

Fernando Alonso has inadvertently confirmed that he judged Lewis Hamilton's penalty in the Japanese GP fully deserved without even knowing what the Englishman was punished for.

In the post-race press conference conducted immediately after Sunday's event, the three podium finishers were asked if they thought Hamilton's drive-through penalty was fair. While Kimi Raikkonen and Robert Kubica both replied that they "didn't know" because they "didn't see the whole thing", Alonso, without hesitation, declared he "agreed" with the decision.

However, speaking later to a Spanish newspaper, the former McLaren driver, who endured a fractious relationship with Hamilton during his season at Woking, admitted he didn't know what had happened or even what the stewards had found him guilty of.

"I don't know what he did," said the Spaniard, "but it's good he's punished anyway."

Alonso, the most outspoken critic of Hamilton's driving in the Belgium GP, went on to confirm that, "without a doubt", he would attempt to help Felipe Massa win the title ahead of Hamilton.

What a ****.

Thought I'd go back to your two "Quotes" there Andy.

The first, about helping Massa, was made in the context of 'which driver would you help to win the title?' and shouldn't come as any surprise whatsoever. He will not and can not really act upon his answer without compromising his own race and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't expect him to do that. One thing Alonso holds in high interest is his own performance.

The second was a comment made in Spanish, which literally translates to, "I don't know what he did but he was well punished." Make of that what you will but I'm assured it's meant as "I don't know what he did but it was a big punishment."

You're perfectly entitled to interpret the two quotes as you see fit. I'm just giving you some extra information to work with.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/10/8530.html

Have a watch of the official FA.com highlights of the 3 incidents. Looks how damaged Lewis' tyres are after the lock up. There was no way he could have carried on for 20+ laps on those anyway...

Interesting that there is no on-board footage from the FRONT of Massa car in the Bourdais incident. From the side-on view, it looks like Massa had the corner position and Bourdais should have held back. but what do I know...

lewisvc1.jpg

w522.png

Not something I'm normally this interested in, but I went to the Official F1 Website to have a look at some images and videos. Some good videos there, in very good quality, and buffered 100%, just in case your internet link is ponderous. Not sure but I think you may be able to download them via Realplayer too... Just checked and it appears you can.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/10/8530.html

The upshot of all that was noticing Kovalainen doing what a very good teammate does of following Hamilton into the first corner and squeezing out Raikonnen. If anything, it was he who deserved the penalty points, but I'm sure he was asked to stay close to Hamilton's gearbox, if he got away well, up to the first corner, so he was just doing his job.

All my surmise, of course.

Thought I'd go back to your two "Quotes" there Andy.

The first, about helping Massa, was made in the context of 'which driver would you help to win the title?' and shouldn't come as any surprise whatsoever. He will not and can not really act upon his answer without compromising his own race and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't expect him to do that. One thing Alonso holds in high interest is his own performance.

The second was a comment made in Spanish, which literally translates to, "I don't know what he did but he was well punished." Make of that what you will but I'm assured it's meant as "I don't know what he did but it was a big punishment."

You're perfectly entitled to interpret the two quotes as you see fit. I'm just giving you some extra information to work with.

I don't think you can blame the translation there Ponty. Alonso said after the race that he agreed that Hamilton deserved the penalty, and then went on to tell a spanish newspaper that he didn't know what the penalty was for. That last bit of his quote, however you translate it, is irelevant.

He's a **** of the highest order.

As I said, make of it what you will.

It's curious how fans' favourites like Trulli, Glock, Webber and Button have all echoed the thoughts of the title challengers that Lewis' driving is erratic and dangerous.

There seems to be some kind of witch hunt around Hamilton at the moment - and for the life of me I really can't see why. Yeah, i'm not his biggest fan, but some of the comments in the last few days have been damn near slanderous.

The boy is so talented every single team in the pit lane would have him in their car at a moments notice... so some of the comments coming from senior sources in F1 astound me.....

...for that fact, I hope Lewis wins the Championship and shoves the comments back down their throats!

The biggest compliment you can pay him is that similar accusations were levelled at Schumacher. Of course that may not be a compliment depending on your view of Schumacher's tactics.

I used to hate Schumacher for his tactics and still think he is a member of the Christian Union Netball Team for his shunt on Hill but have realised over the years that he was winning at any costs - although it didnt endear him to fans and other drivers alike.

I used to hate Schumacher for his tactics and still think he is a member of the Christian Union Netball Team for his shunt on Hill but have realised over the years that he was winning at any costs - although it didnt endear him to fans and other drivers alike.

But often he got away with it, as the stewards looked the other way. Even the video replays.

To me Schumacher's success, however nausiating, did make it extra sweet when he was beaten, crashed or whatever.

Who remembers:

Getting it all wrong trying to knock Villeneurve off the track at Jerez '97

His burst tyre at Suzuka '98 to hand Hakkinen the title.

Hakkinen passing him for the lead at Spa 2000

Coulthard passing him from the lead at Brazil '01 in a very similar move.

Montoya slamming into the back of him in Monaco '04, behind the safety car

Shumi smashing into the back of DC at Spa '98, then losing it in the Macca pit garage and Damon Hill winning.

His engine failure at Suzuka '06 to all but hand Alonso the title (think Ponty might)

There seems to be some kind of witch hunt around Hamilton at the moment - and for the life of me I really can't see why. Yeah, i'm not his biggest fan, but some of the comments in the last few days have been damn near slanderous.

The boy is so talented every single team in the pit lane would have him in their car at a moments notice... so some of the comments coming from senior sources in F1 astound me.....

...for that fact, I hope Lewis wins the Championship and shoves the comments back down their throats!

I agree. Maybe it's bacause he's black!

Seriously though. Is all this negative press really necessary? A couple of misdemeanors and he's the devil incarnate himself on the racetrack. I just don't get it myself. You'd think these other drivers had never made a mistake in their life, it's just so self righteous.

I just hope Lewis plonks it on pole and stays there all the way to the chequered flag. It'll be even better if Massa tangles with Alonso, leaving them both in the gravel as they try to pat each other on the back as Alonso lets him through.

I suspect if that happened then Lewis would then get a 25 second penalty for lapping the last place Force India on the pit straight and endangering the other Ferrari 50 seconds behind him in 4th place.

Cynical? Me? Never!

I think alot of the time it's just his confidence in his own ability that rubs people the wrong way,although saying maybe some of the drivers at the press conference are envious of him might be a bit much when you had Raikonnen and Alonso with 3 championships between them there.

But we have seen it before Schumacher and Senna etc who have that win at all cost mentality,and they seem to be the ones who then have the talent to back the arrogance up.

I think alot of the time it's just his confidence in his own ability that rubs people the wrong way,although saying maybe some of the drivers at the press conference are envious of him might be a bit much when you had Raikonnen and Alonso with 3 championships between them there.

But we have seen it before Schumacher and Senna etc who have that win at all cost mentality,and they seem to be the ones who then have the talent to back the arrogance up.

It's a fine line between self-confidence and arrogance IMO.

If a driver doesn't totally believe in himself, his abilities, his car and his team he doesn't stand a chance of winning.

It happens in so many 'sports' (and in the arts and business) and it is an essential ingredient for being the best in the chosen field.