Is it me, or is John McCain....

bridge too far

But in a nation like the US (you know built on immigrants etc), the american dream etc then it seems anachronistic.

When people get upset about immigration over here, I often ask them how many generations their family have been here or if they have a problem with me being here as I am a recent, albeit legal, immigrant. They mutter something and change the subject.

Edited for my other point - when Arnold became governor of California, there were some short-lived rumblings about changing the rule so he could run for President.

Edited by RoswellSaint
Forgot my second point

Well, that seems to be a very polite shut up!

Seconded. The elephant in the room with all this crap, of course, is that Obama has the temerity to be black - so of course he's untrustworthy, a terrorist, a 'muslim in disguise', etc, etc. In a British context, we'd see this kind of garbage spilling out from the BNP or worse. The fact that it comes from a mainstream political party in the US is a source of national shame.

Interesting article on this today, by the New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/22/opinion/22dowd.html?th&emc=th

Of course, it's distantly possible that Obama's grandparents may have planted the announcement just in case their grandson needed to prove his U.S. citizenship in order to run for president someday. We suggest that those who choose to go down that path should first equip themselves with a high-quality tinfoil hat. The evidence is clear: Barack Obama was born in the U.S.A.

Where's yours St. George? :D

They've caught two young men in the US that were planning to assassinate Obama. The first of many plots?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7694254.stm

Good to see he's got a huge lead in the polls though. With McCain having to stay in "republican" states in his campaign it looks very very promising. Btw, what is the biggest win in a presidential race after WWII?

They've caught two young men in the US that were planning to assassinate Obama. The first of many plots?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7694254.stm

Good to see he's got a huge lead in the polls though. With McCain having to stay in "republican" states in his campaign it looks very very promising. Btw, what is the biggest win in a presidential race after WWII?

Reagan over Mondale, 525 to 13 in 1984.

Seconded. The elephant in the room with all this crap, of course, is that Obama has the temerity to be black - so of course he's untrustworthy, a terrorist, a 'muslim in disguise', etc, etc. In a British context, we'd see this kind of garbage spilling out from the BNP or worse. The fact that it comes from a mainstream political party in the US is a source of national shame.

Interesting article on this today, by the New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/22/opinion/22dowd.html?th&emc=th

First chance back at this thread, thanks Roman.

What irked me was the part where the piece reported that the Obama retinue did not want two girls with headscarves on in a picture with Obama. Instantly I realised that, like sometimes over here, they were too scared of this because the McCain campaign were wrongly polarising the American electorate. It's a shameful scenario.

Well done Colin Powell for standing head and shoulders and denouncing this use of misplaced American , jingoistic, national pride.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but how come Obama is referred to as black? He's just as much white as he is black.

He won't be the first black president, he'll be the first mixed race president.

Good point, but try telling that to the Hillbillys.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but how come Obama is referred to as black? He's just as much white as he is black.

He won't be the first black president, he'll be the first mixed race president.

Fair point

Good point, but try telling that to the Hillbillys.

An even more salient point! Those hillbillys 'don't want nuthin' in the white house that ain't got a red neck!' (and several spare white sheets).

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
It's the old "one drop" rule which goes back to slave times. Even if your grandfather's grandfather was black, you still count as a black. Crazy f*ckers!

Even more offensively I've heard it referred to as 1 drop of perfume in a barrel of sewage = sewage.

1 drop of sewage in a barrel of perfume = sewage.