Team news

trousers

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/articles/article.php?page_id=10753

"Saints boss Jan Poortvliet will have plenty of options at his disposal this weekend as Saints entertain Watford at St. Mary's. The Dutchman is boosted by the return of Simon Gillett, who is now fully fit following a knee ligament injury that has kept him out since the Barnsley match on September 20th.

New loan signing Ryan Smith could also be in contention following two promising performances for the Reserves that have given him the chance to adapt to Saints' style of play, as Poortvliet explains.

"Simon Gillett is back in good shape," he said, "and Ryan Smith is there as well. He has had some good games in the second team, promised a lot and we will decide whether he is starting on the bench."

Stern John is also expected back shortly from his World Cup qualification exploits in mid-week with Trinidad and Tobago, but Saints have otherwise made it through the international break relatively unscathed, with no new injuries to report and several players now significantly closer to making a return.

Poortvliet continued: "Michael Svensson is out for this weekend, but he's working hard to come back. Morgan Schneiderlin is still out but hopefully he will be back to train with us on Sunday and then we will look whether he can be fit for the Tuesday game. [against Sheffield United]

"Romain Gasmi (broken metatarsal) is also here now and on Sunday shoud be available to train with us, whilst Jason Euell (dislocated shoulder) is training as well and is physically OK but the only thing is his shoulder and he has to wait a little longer before he can play a game."

Frenchman Gasmi has been eased into training with his new team mates this week and Saints medical staff have been impressed with his fitness levels that he has worked hard to maintain throughout his injury lay-off.

The RC Strasbourg loan player will undergo an x-ray on foot today and is hopeful of beginning full training on Sunday if given the all clear.

Long-term absentees Lee Holmes and Wayne Thomas are both progressing well, with Holmes aiming at making it back into initial training within six to seven weeks.

Anthony Pulis is also expected to finalise his move to the south coast shortly and could join up with Saints in around two weeks if given the all clear by the doctors."

Stern John back "shortly"? How soon is 'shortly'? The last time I looked there was just over 24 hours left before the game....:confused:

Anthony Pulis is also expected to finalise his move to the south coast shortly and could join up with Saints in around two weeks if given the all clear by the doctors."

This is an odd statement. Compare this with the Player profile on the OS that states "Anthony Pulis joined Southampton on 29th August 2008 on a free transfer having penned a two year contract with an option for a third"

Its difficult to know these days who to believe.

This is an odd statement. Compare this with the Player profile on the OS that states "Anthony Pulis joined Southampton on 29th August 2008 on a free transfer having penned a two year contract with an option for a third"

The OS also says this about Skacel....

"He made 33 league starts and showed his versatility by slotting in strongly at left-back towards the end of his first campaign in English football and with a full pre-season behind him, he is set to be a key man in the coming year."

There is no contradiction, one says he hasn't moved to the south coast yet,

the other talks about contract. Never signed a contract for a job that starts in the future? If you signed a contract today for the 1st of January 2009 it would still be valid although it is as yet non operative.

I suspect it is dependant on passing a medical, which while he has been injured, he has been unable to take.

There is no contradiction, one says he hasn't moved to the south coast yet,

the other talks about contract. Never signed a contract for a job that starts in the future? If you signed a contract today for the 1st of January 2009 it would still be valid although it is as yet non operative.

So you think "finalised his move to the South Coast" means he hasn't contacted Pickfords for his house move? I think thats a rather obtuse view of what "finalised his move" means to most football people, where this would imply that the contractual terms have not been formalised. But no matter, I doubt we will ever seem him actually play in the first team.

The OS also says this about Skacel....

"He made 33 league starts and showed his versatility by slotting in strongly at left-back towards the end of his first campaign in English football and with a full pre-season behind him, he is set to be a key man in the coming year."

I believe that hasn't been updated since last summer.

RE: Pulis, I think by finalising the move, they probably mean he has signed a contract with us, but was still living in Stoke and being treated by their medical staff. Just a guess, but I am fairly sure he would have to have signed the deal before the transfer window closed.

I believe that hasn't been updated since last summer.

RE: Pulis, I think by finalising the move, they probably mean he has signed a contract with us, but was still living in Stoke and being treated by their medical staff. Just a guess, but I am fairly sure he would have to have signed the deal before the transfer window closed.

Well yes, because it's not possible afterwards.He could only sign on loan for a maximum of 93 days if he signed AFTER the 1st September.We'd have to wait until 1st January to give him a full transfer contract.

I always though he was 5 foot 11. I wouldn't call that shortly.

Doesn't look like he's in the squad today;

Interpreting the "from" on the OS team looks like

Davis

James Wotton Lancashire Mills

Smith Lallana Surman Cork

Robertson McG

Subs Bart, Perry,Pekhart,Gillett ,Thompson

I quite like that team.

Of note, no place in the squad for BWP

Doesn't look like he's in the squad today;

Interpreting the "from" on the OS team looks like

Davis

James Wotton Lancashire Mills

Smith Lallana Surman Cork

Robertson McG

Subs Bart, Perry,Pekhart,Gillett ,Thompson

I quite like that team.

Of note, no place in the squad for BWP

Off those 4 midfielders, Cork is the only one who CAN'T play at LM.

I think they will line up more like, R2L: Lallana - Cork - Surman - Smith, if that is indeed the line-up.

RE: BWP. Good!

Off those 4 midfielders, Cork is the only one who CAN'T play at LM.

I think they will line up more like, R2L: Lallana - Cork - Surman - Smith, if that is indeed the line-up.

RE: BWP. Good!

Obviously I didn't pay enough attention to the way I typed it out.:(:(

Although from the OS it shows Smith in front and McG in midfield.