Jan Poortvliet is brilliant

s0108787

i've just watched all of his interviews on saints tv.

The man speaks absolute sense (in a round-a-bout dutch way) and clearly knows what he is doing.

People make snap judgements about team selections, tactical choices and his actions on the touchline. But the reality is that the posters on here and most fans actually have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and are making judgments based on flawed information.

Given time i remain convinced that Jan could be one of the best managers that we have ever had. He tells it like it is and frankly is a breath of fresh air compared to the inane rambling of old school managers like 'arry' and other such luminaries as kevin keegan.

The man speaks absolute sense (in a round-a-bout dutch way) and clearly knows what he is doing.

People make snap judgements about team selections, tactical choices and his actions on the touchline. But the reality is that the posters on here and most fans actually have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and are making judgments based on flawed information.

Given time i remain convinced that Jan could be one of the best managers that we have ever had. He tells it like it is and frankly is a breath of fresh air compared to the inane rambling of old school managers like 'arry' and other such luminaries as kevin keegan.

Have you been drinking

He is just Lowes yes man can you not see that

you sound just like Lowe !! spin spin spin or are you Rupert !!!

Have you been drinking

yes i'm rupert you idiot.

So what, rupert appointed him, big deal!

I tend to have to do what my boss says too and i'm certainly no ones "yes man".

People like you ASSUME that rupert is running the football side - from what i can see most of the negative posters on have a massive chip on their shoulders that blinds them to reality and makes them see the spectre of the devil Lowe around every corner.

What is worse than assumption, is stating that assumption as fact.

No one on here can say conclusively that RL is meddling in first team affairs, people are just drawing conclusions that help them sleep at night when they choose to jeer and boo the team, or not attend matches at all.

As much as i dislike Redkrap, he and Keegan have managed teams in the top flight unlike Jan who has been at lower league dutch football which is probably conference south standard.

People like you ASSUME that rupert is running the football side - from what i can see most of the negative posters on have a massive chip on their shoulders that blinds them to reality and makes them see the spectre of the devil Lowe around every corner.

No one on here can say conclusively that RL is meddling in first team affairs, people are just drawing conclusions that help them sleep at night when they choose to jeer and boo the team, or not attend matches at all.

Who are you calling an idiot

did I hit a nerve think Lowe has ranted and raved at few people, just like you have just done !!!! I wonder

I know for a fact the Lowe is meddling in team affairs I can assure so I dont ASSUME anything is that conclusive enough for you !!!

As much as i dislike Redkrap, he and Keegan have managed teams in the top flight unlike Jan who has been at lower league dutch football which is probably conference south standard.

So what.

KK only got the newcastle job in the first place on the back of his reputation as a player and HR is the worlds biggest chancing blagger, both have had limited success on massive budgets. Keegan#s capitulation as England coach and HR's destruction of us goes a long way to shoing up the "quality" of proven premier league managers.

Ability and intelligence is not the sole preserve of the EPL or english football.

Please dont preach to me about Lowe.

I had, had enough of him last time,but here he is again dragging our club down again.

He sacks a manager who had the backing of the players and fans and had earned the right to keep us in this league.

But of course Lowe with all his football knowledge knows better.

Lets get a Dutch bloke who has NEVER managed in this league to try and keep us in the Championship.Note that while most teams try to get promoted,at the start of this season,the best we were hoping for was to stay where we were.

Then we get rid of all of our proven goalscorers and replace them with a team of reserves who are out of their depth.

Then when we lose most of our games,people wonder why the ground is half empty?

With Lowe back,i wonder why the ground is half full.

He's definatly a nice bloke and his honesty is refreshing.

I'm not sure he is up to the job though.

Please explain why you think he is not up to the job.

You maybe right but I think he is good value for the money he is being paid.

It is not entirely his fault we miss penaties and do stupid things.

Reallistically we could have another four or five points this season if stupidity/lack of experience did not occur v Cardiff Blackpool and Watford

Who are you calling an idiot

did I hit a nerve think Lowe has ranted and raved at few people, just like you have just done !!!! I wonder

I know for a fact the Lowe is meddling in team affairs I can assure so I dont ASSUME anything is that conclusive enough for you !!!

uh

you?

:rolleyes:

Please dont preach to me about Lowe.

I had, had enough of him last time,but here he is again dragging our club down again.

He sacks a manager who had the backing of the players and fans and had earned the right to keep us in this league.

But of course Lowe with all his football knowledge knows better.

Lets get a Dutch bloke who has NEVER managed in this league to try and keep us in the Championship.Note that while most teams try to get promoted,at the start of this season,the best we were hoping for was to stay where we were.

Then we get rid of all of our proven goalscorers and replace them with a team of reserves who are out of their depth.

Then when we lose most of our games,people wonder why the ground is half empty?

With Lowe back,i wonder why the ground is half full.

well i wasn't preaching to you specifically, but if it makes you feel better i value your opinion.

Lowey and Wildey to go next week and take the Dutch team with them..enough is enough.

Time to bring in real football people to try and turn it round before it is too late.

Does "real football people" mean the good old fashioned English "up and under", "hoof and hope", "up and at 'em" and "battle hard for every ball" tactics we all know and love?

Wow i'd pay to watch that!! :rolleyes:

Lowey and Wildey to go next week and take the Dutch team with them..enough is enough.

Time to bring in real football people to try and turn it round before it is too late.

I dont understand why so many people think this. Last season was a disaster and we narrowly avoided relegation. After selling players and cutting the wage bill people set their pre-season expectations as fighting relegation again. Now that the season has started, why are people unhappy/ surprised that we are struggling? What did people expect from this season? :confused:

I dont understand why so many people think this. Last season was a disaster and we narrowly avoided relegation. After selling players and cutting the wage bill people set their pre-season expectations as fighting relegation again. Now that the season has started, why are people unhappy/ surprised that we are struggling? What did people expect from this season? :confused:

I suspect that most people at least expected NP to be kept on and for us to be mid table.

But of course Lowe ruined any thoughts of expectation.

With Lowe in charge,all we can expect is relegation.

Does "real football people" mean the good old fashioned English "up and under", "hoof and hope", "up and at 'em" and "battle hard for every ball" tactics we all know and love?

Wow i'd pay to watch that!! :rolleyes:

People like Pearson a young English Manager/Coach that Lowey talked of a while back.

Problem is and has been quite clearly obvious to me no one really stands a chance with Lowey and Wildey at the races. JP poor sod.

So you will see some time back in my posts I was there trying to support the team and the coach, JP. But after he or the Director of Football continually got it wrong time after time and kept bringing in sub standard players, some injured and on very good wages, the frustration set in and after 51 years I do not go anymore and neither does my children or some other members of my faily and group of freinds.

We all have the same feeling about Lowey this time like last time..He does not care one iota for Southampton Football club.

IN truth if you took away season ticket holders the actual attendance is down around 10/11 thou and will be under at the next game because for starters I don't go and for some reason nor does John B. You?? maybe you do

maybe you don't.. but I have lost it with Lowey and Wildey..Sorry to say one big joke in my opinion.

Sorry for the young lads and the true supporters.

God bless The real Saints..

Well I think that NP always said how it was , I would not consider him old school. In the Echo today Jan is discussing how the older experienced players can help the development of the young ones, big picture of SJ , within a few days he is out on loan....so there is no way Rupes is dictating who stays who goes.....Jan is his own man ........

After Wednesdays match it was pretty clear that the "youth only" approach was in the process of being ditched by JP and the experienced players were in the process of a comeback.

Only, of course, Lowe wasnt going to have any of that, so he slapped the rebellion down by loaning out Stern John.

Well, that's what I think anyway. When JP has had a gutful, he'll quit (Lowe wont sack him - costs too much, and sod the decline until he reaches that point) and Wotte will take over a no additional cost.

I reckon Lowe's real plan was for Wotte (we know Lowe had his eye on him for a while) - he only brought JP in to serve as scapegoat/front to the fans during the nightmare upheaval period of getting rid of all our decent players. Once their gone, JP can be discarded and Lowe can get on with the real "master plan"

Well I think that NP always said how it was , I would not consider him old school. In the Echo today Jan is discussing how the older experienced players can help the development of the young ones, big picture of SJ , within a few days he is out on loan....so there is no way Rupes is dictating who stays who goes.....Jan is his own man ........

i don't think jan is in the reprographics department of the echo so i'm not sure the SJ picture is his fault. :rolleyes:

If you listen to his interview on saintstv he mentions Skacel, Perry and Svensson as looking after the youngsters not SJ.

After Wednesdays match it was pretty clear that the "youth only" approach was in the process of being ditched by JP and the experienced players were in the process of a comeback.

Only, of course, Lowe wasnt going to have any of that, so he slapped the rebellion down by loaning out Stern John.

Well, that's what I think anyway. When JP has had a gutful, he'll quit (Lowe wont sack him - costs too much, and sod the decline until he reaches that point) and Wotte will take over a no additional cost.

I reckon Lowe's real plan was for Wotte (we know Lowe had his eye on him for a while) - he only brought JP in to serve as scapegoat/front to the fans during the nightmare upheaval period of getting rid of all our decent players. Once their gone, JP can be discarded and Lowe can get on with the real "master plan"

Personally i reckon it will be Hockaday when the " way out of their depth" dutchmen go.

i don't think jan is in the reprographics department of the echo so i'm not sure the SJ picture is his fault. :rolleyes:

If you listen to his interview on saintstv he mentions Skacel, Perry and Svensson as looking after the youngsters not SJ.

Well that is refeshing then ..as all 3 have stood shoulder to shoulder with these youngsters during some of the maulings we have had this season..

With Pearson definitely promotion candidates. I supported JP until he started being shafted but still thought an outside chance of play off place..I can dream.

Fighting relegation no chance..but now with what has taken place we are almost almost in that bottom 4-6 that the three will come from..

My worry is that after to-day we are down..

I am very worried and very unhappy and therefore I am out.

While Rupert's in charge, no one else's opinion matters. His word is law. We must all bow down and worship, including Jan, Wotte, Hockaday, etc.

The sad truth is that not even a billionaire could oust him without the help of all the other shareholders, so for now, we must just get behind JP and the team and hope that BWP and McG can score goals like Stern John did last season. :( Ho hum!

With Pearson definitely promotion candidates. I supported JP until he started being shafted but still thought an outside chance of play off place..I can dream.

Fighting relegation no chance..but now with what has taken place we are almost almost in that bottom 4-6 that the three will come from..

My worry is that after to-day we are down..

I am very worried and very unhappy and therefore I am out.

Very naive if you think we could lose the players we had to and still achieve top half. Pearson / JP / Ferguson would make no difference, it was always going to be bottom half.

Very naive if you think we could lose the players we had to and still achieve top half. Pearson / JP / Ferguson would make no difference, it was always going to be bottom half.

You are right I have always been a dreamer my boss was Freddie at one time..

But at least there was hope with Pearson and a reasonable crowd behind him

but gradually we slip towards the 10 thou mark and probably less.

Naive to think that they would bring in at least fit young players and some who might have been as good as the ones we had.

I will take bottom half now but only see relegation looming, boom or bust..

we are already there.

But I will continue praying for my big lottery win..that is how naive I am

I still think I can get Pearson back get rid of the Lavendar Hill mob and get us on the rise again.. all with my 10 quid winnings.

But I still love the Saints but not enough to go anymore...

Was Jan naive in making the:

"We're aiming for the play-offs."

statement after the Derby game?

Why not aim high? It's not Jan's fault that we have crummy players and loan out any of our half decent ones. If Surman Davis and lallana are sold in January then relegation will be round the corner (and admin!)

jan's quote of the day along the lines of "Bristol's style will suit Stern more as they play 4-4-2". Yes you ****ing idiot, the formation in which he scored 20 goals last year. Why didn't we try it you ***.

Very harsh. I certainly do not hold Jan responsible for this situation. I think most managers would find it hard to do well considering the players we have lost/are losing.

jan's quote of the day along the lines of "Bristol's style will suit Stern more as they play 4-4-2". Yes you ****ing idiot, the formation in which he scored 20 goals last year. Why didn't we try it you ***.

Billy , I'm sorry but that statement is just common sense...come on get a grip man

Very harsh. I certainly do not hold Jan responsible for this situation. I think most managers would find it hard to do well considering the players we have lost/are losing.

However, 1 of the stated reasons Jan was appointed was that he had achieved good results whilst on a low budget and developing young players. I think jan has to be accountable for results as Pearson , Burley were just as accountable.

However, 1 of the stated reasons Jan was appointed was that he had achieved good results whilst on a low budget and developing young players. I think jan has to be accountable for results as Pearson , Burley were just as accountable.

We're not in the relegation zone at this moment which I think is pretty good considering we have lost most of our decent players.

We're not in the relegation zone at this moment which I think is pretty good considering we have lost most of our decent players.

Not disputing that , just saying the Jan is responsible for results , he plays his system , not really worked out to be that effective . Irrespective who he can play or not, all managers have some form of restriction who they can play

Not disputing that , just saying the Jan is responsible for results , he plays his system , not really worked out to be that effective . Irrespective who he can play or not, all managers have some form of restriction who they can play

I personally think our results are down to the inability of the players more than the system we play. I suppose it's difficult to play.

I personally think our results are down to the inability of the players more than the system we play. I suppose it's difficult to play.

I'm sure that Jan had the correct intentions comming to SFC , obviously he wanted to ply his trade at a higher level, what manager don't.However, the step up from Helmond Sports to Championship football is massive. I think his inexperience will come back to haunt him in this league , it will come at a cost and that could be us being relegated. Yes, i am sure his hands are tied , however he came here on the back of his low budget achievements and has to take full responsibilty of results. Making the claim after the Derby game was foolish, aiming targets in public for the next 10 games some what odd. I think the enormity of the task is just to much for him. He has not been under such pressure as a manger and that in effect will have some reflection on the players who are looking for guidance from him , especially when Plan A fails completly

You surely are on the payroll.

I'm sure that Jan had the correct intentions comming to SFC , obviously he wanted to ply his trade at a higher level, what manager don't.However, the step up from Helmond Sports to Championship football is massive. I think his inexperience will come back to haunt him in this league , it will come at a cost and that could be us being relegated. Yes, i am sure his hands are tied , however he came here on the back of his low budget achievements and has to take full responsibilty of results. Making the claim after the Derby game was foolish, aiming targets in public for the next 10 games some what odd. I think the enormity of the task is just to much for him. He has not been under such pressure as a manger and that in effect will have some reflection on the players who are looking for guidance from him , especially when Plan A fails completly

We're not currently in the relegation zone so I currently consider him a success. IF we get relegated then it's a different story.

Have you been drinking

I have Saints TV too, and all the interviews I have seen of JP makes me realise that this is a man of real intelligence and tactical know how. It isn't JP who isn't up to the task. It's the team he has to pick from a squad that isn't up to the task. He has financial constraints laid upon him that any manager would have severe trouble dealing with. I'm no fan of Lowe in the slightest, and I'd like to see the back of him ASAP, but I don't see anyone really doing a better job than JP at present, and remember, the dutchman has never failed at anything he has done in management. This is almost certainly the toughest task he's had to face, but I think he is capable of bringing the club through it. And it won't be because Rupert has picked him, backed him, picked the team [because he doesn't, JP does] or whatever little combination anyone can think of. It's because JP will find a way - he has to. Nobody else is going to.

I don't suppose it's a mere coincidence that one of the few times Stern John was picked to play [sheff Utd], he promptly got loaned out afterwards. As a manager, that's the kind of backing nobody needs.