What are you public sector lot up to on Weds then?

JackanorySFC

I've just read something very interesting.

The Local Government Pension Scheme has £120 billion in assets, enough to pay out benefits for 20 years WITHOUT FURTHER ADDITIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS.

Every year it takes in £4-5 billion more than it pays out.

The scheme is a major investor in British business, property and regeneration.

The average pension is £4K a year, and £2,600 for women.

I asked our army of hard done by state workers on here while ago where our Government should find the money to maintain their comparatively generous pensions arraignments (in perpetuity presumably) should come from. While we still await a cogent reply to that request, let's look at some options:

Do you lot think we should just abandon any attempt to reduce our spiraling national debt and borrow even more ?

Perhaps you feel this nation (despite all the evidence to the contrary) is massively under taxed somehow and it's about time the rest of us to payed up ?

Maybe we should complete the dismantling of our armed forces started in the last defence review and give the money to you instead ?

Should we keep the armed forces and use them to invade Switzerland and raid their Banks ?

The truth is that everyone is suffering, and believe it or not, there are plenty of low paid private sector workers who are much worse off than you are. Despite the cast iron sense of entitlement to superior treatment that obviously comes with a state employment contract, you really can't escape the economic whirlwind that is engulfing much of Europe I'm afraid, and any number of strike days is not going to change that one iota.

I asked our army of hard done by state workers on here while ago where our Government should find the money to maintain their comparatively generous pensions arraignments (in perpetuity presumably) should come from. While we still await a cogent reply to that request, let's look at some options:

Do you lot think we should just abandon any attempt to reduce our spiraling national debt and borrow even more ?

Perhaps you feel this nation (despite all the evidence to the contrary) is massively under taxed somehow and it's about time the rest of us to payed up ?

Maybe we should complete the dismantling of our armed forces started in the last defence review and give the money to you instead ?

Should we keep the armed forces and use them to invade Switzerland and raid their Banks ?

The truth is that everyone is suffering, and believe it or not, there are plenty of low paid private sector workers who are much worse off than you are. Despite the cast iron sense of entitlement to superior treatment that obviously comes with a state employment contract, you really can't escape the economic whirlwind that is engulfing much of Europe I'm afraid, and any number of strike days is not going to change that one iota.

Even I realise that borrowing needs to be reduced etc etc, however I think it is a bit rich to expect the public sector (and private sector for that matter) to pick up the tab. The government should, as a token of their much publicised "we are all in this together", state that for one financial year all 'mega bonuses' (i.e those of over say £100,000) paid to bankers should go into the public purse as some form of "you ****ed the country up" tax. Then, they should also close all the loop holes that allow the super rich to escape billions and billions of pounds worth of tax. Lets face it CCC neither you nor I caused this financial meltdown so why should we pay for it?

Only then will I accept that indeed we are 'all in this together' (what a load of bull****) and only then will I, as a public sector employee, think to myself "O.k, fair enough" because from where I'm stood, the sector that caused this entire mess has, and still is, getting away with it!

I hope this answers your question.

Edited by Thorpe-le-Saint

A damp squib - is how David Cameron describes Thorpe-le-saint and his chums little strike.

:lol::lol::lol:

Hmm 75% of schools either shut or partially closed, 2 million people out and well supported by over 60% of the general public, the ConDem's approval rating sinking like yourself on mastermind...if that is a damp squib, Mrs Cameron must have an outstanding sex life.

Hey, have you managed to find out yet why the government refuses to carry out an audit on the cost of public sector pensions? Thanks for taking the time to look in to this for me dunce, it is really appreciated and I'm sure you'll get back to me with an answer soon. Cheers.

Edited by Thorpe-le-Saint

Um I should have clarified my earlier point re trousers question. The ht might have had an indicative indication of who was and wasn't going in. Managers can ask the employee if they are coming in . They do not have to respond as is there right but some professional people do tell their managers in advance . Also I concur that the ht would not know actual numbers until the actual day of the strike. The ballot process is secret and should remain so . Thats why we have Employment legislation such as Turer etc

Even I realise that borrowing needs to be reduced etc etc, however I think it is a bit rich to expect the public sector (and private sector for that matter) to pick up the tab. The government should, as a token of their much publicised "we are all in this together", state that for one financial year all 'mega bonuses' (i.e those of over say £100,000) paid to bankers should go into the public purse as some form of "you ****ed the country up" tax. Then, they should also close all the loop holes that allow the super rich to escape billions and billions of pounds worth of tax. Lets face it CCC neither you nor I caused this financial meltdown so why should we pay for it?

Only then will I accept that indeed we are 'all in this together' (what a load of bull****) and only then will I, as a public sector employee, think to myself "O.k, fair enough" because from where I'm stood, the sector that caused this entire mess has, and still is, getting away with it!

I totally agree with you. The only silver lining in this whole sorry banking excess episode is that we had the B-Liar/Brown/Darling trio in office for 13 years to ensure the bankers didn't get away with it, let alone be knighted in the process....

P.s. On a train from London back to Hampshire after downing a few pints so it is conceivable that I could be talking nonsense (just for once)

I totally agree with you. The only silver lining in this whole sorry banking excess episode is that we had the B-Liar/Brown/Darling trio in office for 13 years to ensure the bankers didn't get away with it, let alone be knighted in the process....

P.s. On a train from London back to Hampshire after downing a few pints so it is conceivable that I could be talking nonsense (just for once)

One of your most erudite contributions to date.

Even I realise that borrowing needs to be reduced etc etc, however I think it is a bit rich to expect the public sector (and private sector for that matter) to pick up the tab. The government should, as a token of their much publicised "we are all in this together", state that for one financial year all 'mega bonuses' (i.e those of over say £100,000) paid to bankers should go into the public purse as some form of "you ****ed the country up" tax. Then, they should also close all the loop holes that allow the super rich to escape billions and billions of pounds worth of tax. Lets face it CCC neither you nor I caused this financial meltdown so why should we pay for it

That's stupid. Why should people like my mate (you know, the one you derogoratory accused me of having a homosexual relationship with), who work way way harder and are far far more intelligent than you or any other teacher I know (coming from the son of a deputy head and the boyfriend of a msc degree science teacher) who earn mega money after NEVER losing their bank or clients money (ffs you need to realise if they did they'd get sacked) not get the money they have earned and pay 50% tax on - how many penny's in the £ do you pay? Not as much as our bankers!

What's all this stuff about good teachers being hard to find anyway? For each science job my msc (advanced), BSc (1st) educated girlfriend went for this year there were 6/7 other applicants. This is due to the perception it's a cushy number with lots of holiday that suits a woman that aspires to have a family. Sorry buts that's a fact! Obviously my missus has realised how hard the job is and god, I respect teachers! But the fact is there are hardly any jobs out there for top top end science grads, so they fall back on teaching.

Oh and Winchester was packed today with teachers shopping, I know as I was there!

That's stupid. Why should people like my mate (you know, the one you derogoratory accused me of having a homosexual relationship with), who work way way harder and are far far more intelligent than you or any other teacher I know (coming from the son of a deputy head and the boyfriend of a msc degree science teacher) who earn mega money after NEVER losing their bank or clients money (ffs you need to realise if they did they'd get sacked) not get the money they have earned and pay 50% tax on - how many penny's in the £ do you pay? Not as much as our bankers!

Where are all these bankers that have been sacked for wrecking the world economy? Oh they are still in the same jobs doing the same thing getting record bonuses to share amongst them!, Just cos they are clever and have clever mates, doesnt mean they should exploit the rest of us. Id tax them at 90%.

TBF does this actually affect you in any way ?

Are you old enough for your life experiences to enable you to make a justified arguement ?

1. Paying tax doesn't affect the validity of any argument.

2. Yes. Anyone regardless of age(especially when legally an adult) is entitled to an opinion.

Edited by Saintandy666

TBF does this actually affect you in any way ?

Are you old enough for your life experiences to enable you to make a justified arguement ?

No, he's a pathetic kid that thinks he knows it all despite never contributing anything. I genuinely don't value his opinion - I may disagree with those ge spouts on about agreeing with but I grudgingly respect their right, as working adult tax payers, to that opinion.

He should be out having a life before reality hits him in a few years!

No, he's a pathetic kid that thinks he knows it all despite never contributing anything. I genuinely don't value his opinion - I may disagree with those ge spouts on about agreeing with but I grudgingly respect their right, as working adult tax payers, to that opinion.

He should be out having a life before reality hits him in a few years!

I don't think I know anything. I just happily contribute my opinion on a debate forum knowing that they could be and probably are far from right. I think it is you who needs to assess themselves. I just think too many people get too stressy on here.

Also, I am technically(for this year at least), a working adult taxpayer. Boom.

A review of the NHS pensions in 2008 showed it paid for itself and was sustainable. Osborne is lying.

A low paid factory worker (or a high paid banker) is less important and deserves less than a teacher or nurse - THAT is the real world.

Where are all these bankers that have been sacked for wrecking the world economy? Oh they are still in the same jobs doing the same thing getting record bonuses to share amongst them!, Just cos they are clever and have clever mates, doesnt mean they should exploit the rest of us. Id tax them at 90%.

Stupid on so many levels - where to start?

Those sacked, stayed sacked. I know of two that are teachers,1 plumber, and one travelling. Do you not think that banks might just gave hr departments that vet applicants?

Tax em at 90% eh? What % do you pay? My mate that earned approx £500k last year paid 50% in tax/ NI. Tax him more and his bank will move to Switzerland making UK plc £250k worse off (not including the 20% vat on all the stuff he buys from businesses like whoever you work for).

What's your point?

Stupid on so many levels - where to start?

Those sacked, stayed sacked. I know of two that are teachers,1 plumber, and one travelling. Do you not think that banks might just gave hr departments that vet applicants?

Tax em at 90% eh? What % do you pay? My mate that earned approx £500k last year paid 50% in tax/ NI. Tax him more and his bank will move to Switzerland making UK plc £250k worse off (not including the 20% vat on all the stuff he buys from businesses like whoever you work for).

What's your point?

Let them go work in Switzerland, with the most corrupt banks in the world is where they belong.

Despite the cast iron sense of entitlement to superior treatment that obviously comes with a state employment contract, you really can't escape the economic whirlwind that is engulfing much of Europe.

People with superiority complexes in expecting superior treatment shocker.

I don't think I know anything. I just happily contribute my opinion on a debate forum knowing that they could be and probably are far from right. I think it is you who needs to assess themselves. I just think too many people get too stressy on here.

Also, I am technically(for this year at least), a working adult taxpayer. Boom.

Blah blah blah... Don't care, come back in a few years when youve contributed and know a thing or 2 about the real world.

This is a football website, when I was a kid back in 99ish I first posted on saintsforever - about football. Happy to listen/ view your opinion on SFC but genuinely don't give a f*** on your opinion of life.

Ha!, wont last long, with their failed policies keeping us in recession and cuts into 2016 they'll be voted out quick smart.

I'm not so sure. Times are tough, but times are tough everywhere. If the electorate (forget the public sector wallors would wouldn't vote tory anyway) see light at the end of the tunnel through 2014 til the election then it's game on for a generation of Tory rule.

I'm not so sure. Times are tough, but times are tough everywhere. If the electorate (forget the public sector wallors would wouldn't vote tory anyway) see light at the end of the tunnel through 2014 til the election then it's game on for a generation of Tory rule.

:lol: ah you crack me up sometimes,

night!

Blah blah blah... Don't care, come back in a few years when youve contributed and know a thing or 2 about the real world.

This is a football website, when I was a kid back in 99ish I first posted on saintsforever - about football. Happy to listen/ view your opinion on SFC but genuinely don't give a f*** on your opinion of life.

K. Don't know why you are getting wound up, you don't have to read anything on here and your opinions are not that special either(unless you have studied the economy and its workings in depth for years, in which case I apologise).

Can not be bothered anymore anyways. People take their thoughts far too seriously on what is as you say a football website.

yes hr respects your opinion being the highly educated man you are and post another hero worship post about your mate again and how hard a time he is having;)

K. Don't know why you are getting wound up, you don't have to read anything on here and your opinions are not that special either(unless you have studied the economy and its workings in depth for years, in which case I apologise).

Can not be bothered anymore anyways. People take their thoughts far too seriously on what is as you say a football website.

well he did post on saintsforever very important you know and says he has a very good friend who treats him very well:rolleyes:

Why am I wound up? Because I'm being lectured on being wound up by a kid that's never even voted in their life, that's barely paid any tax, or NI, never been made redundant, struggled to pay council tax or seen the effects of a recession on their mates or family.

I also happen to live with an amazing girlfriend who, due to me working my a*** off was able to work her own a*** off at 2 unis betting a 1st at BSc then a msc. She us now a teacher getting press ganged into taking a day off work - not for "solidarity" but because the weather is warmer than usual so with snow days today (pay day) can bs used for Christmas shopping.

When I was a kid like you I voted for a party I saw as ideological, I voted for them again the next time then after many years of working as hard as I could I left them and voted for someone else. I've seen a fair bit, enough to get NRC"wound up" but what I have found out in my brief time on this planet, is that I know jack s*** compared with people that have been around longer and seen more than me. I have my eyes wide open, I've learnt it's possible to change your outlook on life politically without changing who you are or your beliefs. I suggest you learn a thing or two about that. After you've paid into the system you proclaim to be such an expert on that is....

yes hr respects your opinion being the highly educated man you are and post another hero worship post about your mate again and how hard a time he is having;)

Where did I say I was educated? I dropped out of college after 1 year. I regret that but have been lucky in work to have done all right out of life (so far).

Also where have I said my mate is hard done by?

You've just made two things up havnt you?

Why am I wound up? Because I'm being lectured on being wound up by a kid that's never even voted in their life, that's barely paid any tax, or NI, never been made redundant, struggled to pay council tax or seen the effects of a recession on their mates or family.

I also happen to live with an amazing girlfriend who, due to me working my a*** off was able to work her own a*** off at 2 unis betting a 1st at BSc then a msc. She us now a teacher getting press ganged into taking a day off work - not for "solidarity" but because the weather is warmer than usual so with snow days today (pay day) can bs used for Christmas shopping.

When I was a kid like you I voted for a party I saw as ideological, I voted for them again the next time then after many years of working as hard as I could I left them and voted for someone else. I've seen a fair bit, enough to get NRC"wound up" but what I have found out in my brief time on this planet, is that I know jack s*** compared with people that have been around longer and seen more than me. I have my eyes wide open, I've learnt it's possible to change your outlook on life politically without changing who you are or your beliefs. I suggest you learn a thing or two about that. After you've paid into the system you proclaim to be such an expert on that is....

I have never proclaimed to be an expert on anything, like you I merely give my opinion. I say it is you being the agressive one with your views. You seem to assume everyone should take your position. However, I am aware I know nothing of the world and have achieved virtually nothing as most people haven't, but that does not mean I should not able to contribute. You know nothing of my life and experience of 'the system', but what I can tell you is I do try to learn as much as I can when I can. If you want to actually know more about me, then ask and I can say at least then you may understand where I am coming from, even if I am young.

For what it is worth, I have voted(for Liberal Democrats and I will continue to for now), have paid tax(though admittedly not much! My current job is low paid and I am restricted in hours I can work by voluntary commitments, but I'll leave that job in august), but I have not been made redundant or struggled to pay council tax and so on. However, I have seen the effects of recession on my friends and family, believe you me. The recession has affected nearly every single place in the UK, so don't think you are alone there.

I'm very happy that you have a good homelife and that your girlfriend did well in her degree and I'm sad that that is how she felt.

However, while I say I have little experience of what you talk of(paying council tax etc), I don't think age is the only factor in experience.

Edited by Saintandy666

What's all this stuff about good teachers being hard to find anyway? For each science job my msc (advanced), BSc (1st) educated girlfriend went for this year there were 6/7 other applicants. This is due to the perception it's a cushy number with lots of holiday that suits a woman that aspires to have a family. Sorry buts that's a fact! Obviously my missus has realised how hard the job is and god, I respect teachers! But the fact is there are hardly any jobs out there for top top end science grads, so they fall back on teaching.

Oh and Winchester was packed today with teachers shopping, I know as I was there!

Were they wearing huge "I'm a teacher, look at me!" sandwich boards? I find it amusing your username is Jackanory.

Were they wearing huge "I'm a teacher, look at me!" sandwich boards? I find it amusing your username is Jackanory.

I love the way the anecdotes and individual experiences are quickly repackaged in to broad, catch all generalisations stuffed with FACTS.

It do miss StuRomseySaint as he was the master of this fine art. Always good value watching him proclaim stuff from his afternoon expereinces in town.

No but they may as well have been seeing as i met 2 aunties, 1 other teacher from gf's school and a good friends sister who is a teacher out with her mum who works for the council.

Funny you should mention sandwich boards though, at 1ish we went for a drink/ bite to eat at the bishop on the bridge, after we walked up to the cathedral where we saw 10-15 NUT/ teachers are worth it etc placards lent against the railings. They were still there 2 hrs later. Obviously these teachers got bored, littered their placards and either went home or ((more likely IMO due to it being pay day) they went shopping.

I love the way the anecdotes and individual experiences are quickly repackaged in to broad, catch all generalisations stuffed with FACTS.

It do miss StuRomseySaint as he was the master of this fine art. Always good value watching him proclaim stuff from his afternoon expereinces in town.

Where did I ever say anything was "FACT" and not anecdotal? I Tongue in cheek mentioned I used a sample size of 20 when seeing how many cars beeped their horns in support of the 5/6 poor souls out in the rain opposite our flat yesterday morning, surely you dont think I take that more seriously than a poll conducted by yougov?

A review of the NHS pensions in 2008 showed it paid for itself and was sustainable. Osborne is lying.

A low paid factory worker (or a high paid banker) is less important and deserves less than a teacher or nurse - THAT is the real world.

2008 - That would be before the sh1t really hit the fan when Lehman Brothers went t1ts up so of little relevance now.

Again, as for those working in the wealth creating sector of society being far less important than those who are fortunet enough to work for the state .. well I'll be taking that as yet more evidence of the 'God given right' to better treatment that some/many state employees feel they're entitled to.

Do try to comprehend, if you have the intellect, why so many ordinary working people find that find of unbarably smug attitude insufferable.