Rip Ken Russell

Dimond Geezer

Being of a certain age, I used to love Ken's films.

Edgy, controversial stuff like 'The Devils', 'The Music Lovers', 'Women in Love' - as well as gentler films like 'The Boyfriend'.

Cinema should be like this, not the never-ending Hollywood dross we have to put up with these days.

RIP Ken.

I was in Ken Russell's Tommy. I met Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend and Oliver Reed. To be fair I was only and extra and I was only 7 so I don't remember much about it.

But my sister who was 10 years older than me (still is as a matter of fact), also met them all and says that Ken Russell was a proper eccentric and properly mad.

To be honest I can't make my mind up on his work. I think I'm jaundiced by watching Tommy at too young an age and just not being able to fathom out what on earth it was all about.

I remember the first time I found out who he was, he was on Celebrity Big Brother about 4 or 5 years ago so I did a bit of googling to find out who he was and found out he directed Tommy - one of my favourite films. Seemed like a proper eccentric genius and a nutter, must have been a lot of mayhem going on around him in his heyday! I have to admit I haven't seen any of his films apart from Tommy, i'll have to watch a few of those soon.