Cam Belt

Turkish

I have been told that it is a good idea to also change the water pump at the same time.

The reasons quoted are:-

The amount of labour involved accessing the cambelt is only repeated if the water pump had to be replaced at a later date.

Also, as the water pump is driven from the cambelt, it makes sense to do them both at the same time.

The load applied to the water pump bearing can change when a new belt is fitted and it is not unheard of for an old water pump

to fail not long after a new cambelt has been fitted. In fact, many repairers will only take on a cambelt replacement job if they

can replace the water pump at the same time because they have been caught out in the past.

Some think as a precaution 5 years is the max time interval even if less milage than

average has been driven.

Edited by Saint in Paradise

Same engine as the Vauxhall Vectra. Check its service intervals!! Better still get an engine with a timing chain. Changes up to every 250,000 miles!! :)

Is this the case for all cars with timing chains does anyone know? My current vehicle doesn't differentiate in the service book between the models with a 'rubber' based belt and a chain.

It's and Audi 3lt diesel if that helps - I can ask the Audi dealer but they will almost certainly give the answer that covers and maked most money for them!

Is this the case for all cars with timing chains does anyone know?

No, it certainly isn't. But as a rough guide, if it is very noisy, then either the tensioner is at its limit or the chain is worn.(usually both) On some cars the chain sprockets wear badly. One example is the Saab 9000 that I replaced the timing components on. The crankshaft sprocket teeth were all worn and hooked and two or three were nearly missing completely. This was on a car that had done just 102,000 miles. You have been warned!!!

Is this the case for all cars with timing chains does anyone know?

No, it certainly isn't. But as a rough guide, if it is very noisy, then either the tensioner is at its limit or the chain is worn.(usually both) On some cars the chain sprockets wear badly. One example is the Saab 9000 that I replaced the timing components on. The crankshaft sprocket teeth were all worn and hooked and two or three were nearly missing completely. This was on a car that had done just 102,000 miles. You have been warned!!!

Thanks for the reply - it's quiet at the moment - any knowledge of the VW/Audi etc 3lt diesel?

• 3 weeks later...