Looking at buying a gadget

hypochondriac

I've got some spare cash and am looking at getting a gadget. I think I'll probably get the ipod touch because it looks pretty good (though the iphone is an obscene amount of cash.) and my mp3 player has had it. Will probably get the 32GB version because it will hold everything I need in the future, does anyone know where the best place to buy one would be? Or can they suggest anything else to spend my £200 on?

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
I've got some spare cash and am looking at getting a gadget. I think I'll probably get the ipod touch because it looks pretty good (though the iphone is an obscene amount of cash.) and my mp3 player has had it. Will probably get the 32GB version because it will hold everything I need in the future, does anyone know where the best place to buy one would be? Or can they suggest anything else to spend my £200 on?

Too late to buy my telescope, I'm afraid, but the Archos Gmini 500 40GB player has top marks as a best buy with Which.

How is the iphone an obscene amount of cash when it costs £160 and £30 a month (which most people would spend on a phone contract anyway) And the ipod costs £200?

No video recording amongst other failings. I prefer my N95 8GB and paying 19 pounds per month which includes internet and 180 pounds worth of calls and texts. I would prefer to have the n95 8GB and the iphone without the phone function (the touch.)

I just bought an Ipod Touch, i've got very little that's bad to say about it. Its a great little gadget.

There was some mistake by the person on the till in the apple store though and I only paid £100 for an 8GB one.

Cheers. If anyone else has any reviews of it that would be great.

No, its effectively an iPhone without the phone or camera parts.

Effectively, or entirely? I'm umming and ahhing over an iPhone but I quite like the look of the gaming on the Touch. Finding it's identical would help. Also, does i-Player work on an iPhone?

Effectively, or entirely? I'm umming and ahhing over an iPhone but I quite like the look of the gaming on the Touch. Finding it's identical would help. Also, does i-Player work on an iPhone?

As far as I know its exactly the same as the iphone, it just doesn't have the phone or camera. Mine even has a cover behind the case where the camera lense would be.

Yes I player works on the iPhone, and the touch.

Junction 9 - It has a lot that the classic doesn't. Full web browsing, loads of cool apps, multi touch screen etc etc.

As far as I know its exactly the same as the iphone, it just doesn't have the phone or camera. Mine even has a cover behind the case where the camera lense would be.

Yes I player works on the iPhone, and the touch.

Junction 9 - It has a lot that the classic doesn't. Full web browsing, loads of cool apps, multi touch screen etc etc.

Fair enough, I haven't really seen one in use.

I've run a G2 Nano 8gb since release with no problems and that's why I'm undecided about 'upgrading'. Yes I get through 8gb but it's easy enough to drop stuff off and replace it. No one can possibly listen to their entire library.

I'm torn between a new 16gb Nano, a 32gb Touch or upgrading my phone contract to an iPhone. The biggest issue I have with the Touch and the iPhone is the size. It's enormous compared to both my current phone and the Nano.

Size is a good point when your'e used to carrying a nano around. maybe this is a good reason to get the iphone as at least it 's one less thing in your pocket then.

I've considered that but it's also £159 (or £99 for only 8gb) plus an extra £15pcm on my O2 contract. Expensive.

Surely the Apple shop in West Quay, Apple store online or John Lewis are the best bets?

I've run a G2 Nano 8gb since release with no problems and that's why I'm undecided about 'upgrading'. Yes I get through 8gb but it's easy enough to drop stuff off and replace it. No one can possibly listen to their entire library.

I'm torn between a new 16gb Nano, a 32gb Touch or upgrading my phone contract to an iPhone. The biggest issue I have with the Touch and the iPhone is the size. It's enormous compared to both my current phone and the Nano.

I thought the same but its so thin that you hardly notice it in your pocket. Its actually so thin that it keeps sliding through the gap in my passenger seat in the car and I have to fish it out from behind the seat.

The best thing i've bought in the last couple of years is my 16Gb Apple iPhone, it means i have my phone and an MP3 player on me at all times and whilst it is larger than most mobiles height and width wise it's actually thinner than most regular mobiles. It's made life easier for me by syncing it with my MacBook and sharing my contacts list and calender, i can't imagine going back to a Nokia now. The oddest thing is my friends who even if they slagged it off can't stop playing with it!

still rumours* abound that the iphone nano WILL be released for Chrimbo this year...

...but that's kinda the opposite of what you want - it will likely be a 4 or 8 gig ipod with a phone function - no web or wifi.

If you fancy an alternative media player, the creative Zen range is very cool - is a lot more 'adaptable' than an ipod (can be used as a drag n drop USB drive and on several PCs [ipods limited the number of PCs you can upload/download with]) but again no web or wifi.

Loads of other cool phones (the SE G900, the LG viewty, Nokia NG series, Samsung Onmia etc, th enew Google phone from Tmobile) all match the iphone for spec (barre built in GPS).

Or perhaps a netbook - mini linux based laptop to surf the net and email and media and office and all that. These are genrally under £300. Try ebuyer.com for good prices on these.

My latest gadget is a Zoom H4 Handy recorder - best thing I bought in years.

*and they are JUST rumours. nothing to say they are true.

Edited by Polaroid Saint