Try this workout

Turkish

5 times a week plus football sunday, the weight work is still absolutely killing me though, obv my abs arent strong enough as the goblet squats kill my lower back

Sounds to me like you doing a bit too much mate, muscles need time to recover!

3 weights, 2 HITs, 7-10 mile runs and Soccerball is a lot!

It is but Im seeing results, mon/wed/fri I do around an hour to hour and a half weights routine

Then tues and thurs HIIT and footie sunday, I feel fitter than ever though.

Aye, recovery is just as important as the torn muscle fibres.

Did you mean the 10 min snatch test, Turkish? If so yes but once and 4 years ago. Managed 152 on a 24kg but stopped at 9 mins 30 as was a mess on the floor.

Although I'm quite a bit stronger now, I'm nowhere near as CV fit due to buggered knee so wouldn't even get close to the above.

You had a go?

Aye, recovery is just as important as the torn muscle fibres.

Did you mean the 10 min snatch test, Turkish? If so yes but once and 4 years ago. Managed 152 on a 24kg but stopped at 9 mins 30 as was a mess on the floor.

Although I'm quite a bit stronger now, I'm nowhere near as CV fit due to buggered knee so wouldn't even get close to the above.

You had a go?

Yeah that's the one. I've had a go three times but not for about a year and only with the 16kg KB. Managed 171 once and the other two times i was under 150, a long way off.

Well.......

Its obviously working, I look bigger, feel fitter than ever and the hamstring seems to be strong again, sprinting isnt an issue anymore, DOMs after football are less painful.

Started pre season training tonight and unlike every other year it was reletively easy, even in the heat. It wasnt a particularly easy routine either. The fact I have been training relentlessly for months is definately paying off.

Might try this snatch test and let you know how I do.

Is that the stronglifts 5x5?

Yes mate it is, I mix my workouts up between 5x5s, German Volume Training & Kris Gethins DTP (which is an absolute killer but works really well).

I was ill last week and lost half a stone though so wasnt able to train. Back on it when I get back from holiday next week.

Yes mate it is, I mix my workouts up between 5x5s, German Volume Training & Kris Gethins DTP (which is an absolute killer but works really well).

I was ill last week and lost half a stone though so wasnt able to train. Back on it when I get back from holiday next week.

That German volume training actually looks really good, that'll get you ripped and sill mean no CV too :-)

I might give the a go when I've finished my current programme.

• 5 months later...

How are we all getting on now chaps? Back on the weights now for a bit, heavy compound stuff 3 times a week, laid off the cardio ecently due to a succession of injuries but will be reintroducing that in a week or so. The weight stuff with a kettle bell circuit, probably go back to the ETK minimum programme for a bit to get back into it. Also want to start doing Krav Maga again, the problem is there isn't a club locally, nearest one is in Leeds.

Goal for this coming year is beat my Personal bests set in 2005 for bench press, deadlift and squat and achieve 200 reps in 10 minutes on the KB snatch test. I've also signed up for Yorkshire warrior, a similar thing to Tough mudder so that will give me a goal to aim for.

Well, playing hampshire league at the moment to make sure hammy was up to anything bigger and its standing up to it at the moment. The CV fitness has very much improved, peeing 90 mins in the box to box role and generally do 90mins of HIIT on the treader atleast once a week with no issues.

Had a quality weights routine and toned up and added size a lot quicker then I expected by doing supersets and full body moves but Ive dropped off that over past 2 months and noticed Ive dropped bulk again but still managed to keep a bit of tone which is nice.

I got snapped at 5 aside tonight though. Still absolutely livid, some meathead literally stamped on the side of my leg halfway up turning my ankle over, I literally yelped in pain which I never do and felt sick etc. I was literally livid and was lucky the ref didnt send me off aswell (couldnt walk anyway). So as you can imagine Im pretty ****ed off right now.

Warm up stretch out, bit of a jog, cycle or row easy, then this, runs at 80% of your maximum

400 metre run

10 burpees

300 metre run

10 burpees

200 metre run

10 burpees

100 metre run

10 burpees

No rest inbetween

That's your warm up done

10-12 reps of 3 sets of weights

Bench press

Shoulder press

Squat

Bent over row

Deadlift

Pull ups - if you can't do full ones use the assist.

to finish

5 x 500 metres sprints on rowing machine, 2 minute rest in between, each a sprint your time should be the same time as your first, so if your first 500 metres is 2mins, then they all should be, each one will be harder than the first.

Do that twice a week and alternate with a circuit twice a week. Pyramid training is good, 10 sets, start at 10 reps of each exercise when you've done one full circuit of 10 reps you hen go down from 10 to 9,8,7 etc through to 1, after every exercise all the way through you do 10 step ups.

Press up

Sit up

Squat

Dips

Lat raises

Crunches

Box jumps

Burpees

Knee to elbow

Kettlebell swings

Edited by Turkish

Warm up stretch out, bit of a jog, cycle or row easy, then this, runs at 80% of your maximum

400 metre run

10 burpees

300 metre run

10 burpees

200 metre run

10 burpees

100 metre run

10 burpees

No rest inbetween

That's your warm up done

Bench press

Shoulder press

Squat

Bent over row

Deadlift

to finish

5 x 500 metres sprints on rowing machine, 2 minute rest in between, each a sprint your time should be the same time as your first, so if your first 500 metres is 2mins, then they all should be, each one will be harder than the first.

Do that twice a week and alternate with a circuit twice a week. Pyramid training is good, 10 sets, start at 10 reps of each exercise when you've done one full circuit of 10 reps you hen go down from 10 to 9,8,7 etc through to 1, after every exercise all the way through you do 10 step ups.

Press up

Sit up

Squat

Dips

Lat raises

Crunches

Box jumps

Burpees

Knee to elbow

Kettlebell swings

F*ck me Turkish, I got worn out just reading that.

400 metre run

10 burpees

300 metre run

10 burpees

200 metre run

10 burpees

100 metre run

10 burpees

No rest inbetween

That's your warm up done

Bench press

Shoulder press

Squat

Bent over row

Deadlift

to finish

Press up

Sit up

Squat

Dips

Lat raises

Crunches

Box jumps

Burpees

Knee to elbow

Kettlebell swings

Its good, but if you work out for longer than an hour your basically wasting that extra time IMO, unless its sports specific

Its good, but if you work out for longer than an hour your basically wasting that extra time IMO, unless its sports specific

That's an hour mate, about 12-15 minutes for the first bit, 25 minutes for the wights, doing cardio programme should only have a 1 min rest between sets. The final bit should take about 20 mins including rests between sets. The circuit will take about 40 mins. Its hard work but if you want to lose fat its not easy. Its much more effective than these dinlows that sit on the bike at the same pace for an hour anyway.

Edited by Turkish

• 11 months later...

After a heavy compound set last night I decided to give this workout a go for the first time in about two years and just remembered this thread. I Was amazed that having done little cardio and mainly strength training compound lifts since April I managed to do this in 11.51 seconds, was blowing a bit during the burpees but other than that fine. This after a heavy squat, deadlift and shoulder press session. Conclusion- I'm never stopping doing compound lifts.

I cant do the HIIT to the same level as I did before, can do 45-60 mins, longer if I tone it down a bit.

Doing a lot of body weight moves these days, maintaining the same tone, doing the levels of cardio I do meant Id never gain loads of bulk anyway, and I wouldnt want to. Useless muscle really, which just slows you down. Still playing football and doing 3 (body) weight sessions a week plus 2 cardio sessions (early week more intensive then later)

Ankle isnt the same though, very weak. Playing with a brace these days. And has played me up a lot, hence the reletive reduction in fitness and move to body weight moves as I couldnt lift the weights on a busted ankle

I cant do the HIIT to the same level as I did before, can do 45-60 mins, longer if I tone it down a bit.

Doing a lot of body weight moves these days, maintaining the same tone, doing the levels of cardio I do meant Id never gain loads of bulk anyway, and I wouldnt want to. Useless muscle really, which just slows you down. Still playing football and doing 3 (body) weight sessions a week plus 2 cardio sessions (early week more intensive then later)

Ankle isnt the same though, very weak. Playing with a brace these days. And has played me up a lot, hence the reletive reduction in fitness and move to body weight moves as I couldnt lift the weights on a busted ankle

Getting bulk is just about protein and calories intake anyway. There is a guy at my gym who can deadlift over 200kg and squats not far off that, he's not got an ounce of fat on him, muscular but not bulky at all. Just says he eats clean 6 days a week and keeps his calories to 2000 a day apart from Saturdays.