Yeah thats V.hard! Did

25 v-ups

20 snatches (10 each arm)

25 push-ups

50 swings

40 burpees (dizzy!)

30 clean and press (15 each arm)

50 mountain climbers

Just over 9 minutes!! My technique on the snatches cant be right as each time i bring up the kettle (12 KG) its bashing my wrist!? That forced me to cut the reps ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

How is your training going chumps? I'm 3 weeks back in now after a few weeks off due to injury and holiday. Just done the "snatch test" as per the Enter the Kettlebell book. Did 143 with my 16kg bell. The idea is to do as many snatches as you can in 10 minutes. The target for the rite of passage is to do 200 in 10 mins with a 24kg bell!! This is also the fitness requirement for the Russian army. Some work to do, give the "snatch test" a go, its a killer, my arms and shoulders feel smoked, god knows how long it's going to take to get up to the Rite of Passage target.

• 5 months later...

After being given a kettlebell by a friend who was having a clear-out (his home gym is being converted into a nursery...) this thread came back into the memory.

It's only an 8kg bell, but surely ok for a beginner like me, tried the routine on the youtube video, completed it (didn't time it, just wanted to see what level i'm starting from...) and yes, quite tricky!

The Burpees are the worst bit, more then familiar with them thanks to the BMF classes i'm still doing, but even then it's 12 at a time at most. After those the clean/press felt like a holiday, the mountain climbers a breeze.

The only concern I had was with the snatches. My arm felt really unsteady at the top of the movement, otherwise, ok. It's a start.

Now image doing it with a kettlebell twice or three times as heavy, like in the video. The clean and press certainly aint a breeze then! Agree the burpees are the worst bit, very hard to do more than a handful straight off.

Now, building up to that level leaves me concerned. The swing part of the exercise puts a lot of load on the core.... and crucially also the lower back, which I have had issues with for years. Small steps I think. :)

Get to the point where I am (relatively) comfortable with the 8kg and then up to a 12kg one I feel.

Now, building up to that level leaves me concerned. The swing part of the exercise puts a lot of load on the core.... and crucially also the lower back, which I have had issues with for years. Small steps I think. :)

Get to the point where I am (relatively) comfortable with the 8kg and then up to a 12kg one I feel.

If you do the swing properly it's actually good for your back. A couple of people i know have back problems and they've said since using kettlebells it's given them a stronger and more balanced core which has helped with their backs.

Started doing plyometrics again, not too bothered building a massive upper body so cant be arsed with K bells.

Did P90x ladt year, as well as my gym roitine, that got me in decent shape, doing INSANITY atm from beachbody, which is basically all HIIT, its great but damn it hurts.

Started last week, the first plyo circuit I got through V proud but then the DOMs hit me the next 3 days, wow.

Great workout though

wanting to do something after the new year and this workout interests me but watching that vid a) i wouldnt be able to do it and b) wouldnt be able to move for a week afterwards trying it..

is there a website for begineers with the bell to get upto this standard.

Thinking of doing this on top of taking up boxing as well as the usual cardio **** (running,football).

If you want to get into kettlebells then a good place to start is by following the kettlebell minimum programme. It's 20 swings followed by a minute of cardio, jogging, skipping, whatever for 12 minutes twice a week and 5 minutes of Turkish get ups twice a week. once you can do 20 swings comfortably, go to 30, then 40 and then 50. You'll be surprised how quickly you progress, then you can move onto other programmes.

• 2 weeks later...

I started doing strong lifts programme after Christmas. A weights programme where you do 5 sets of 5 reps of compound exercises, 3 from 5 exercises 3 times a week. So you do......

Mon

Squat 5x5

Bench press 5 x 5

Bent over row

Wed

Squat

Military press

Deadlift

Then back to the first routine on Fridays. It's a 12 week programme and you start off with no weight at all on the barbell, then add 2.5kg everytime you go on every excercise. You sqaut every time You train and mix the others up. It's a beginners programme really but I've not done weights properly for about 3-4 years so needed to ease myself back into it. It's meant to be good for burning fat as well.

Is it good for an all round fitness and weight loss point of view ??

Doing insanity ATM its a bloody killer, aswell as my normal gym routine

I have to apologise too Turks, did NO workouts over xmas and put of 7 lbs Im ashamed

How is insanity going. It it easy to stick to?

How is insanity going. It it easy to stick to?

Its hard work, very hard work, really works your core, everything that you do will leave you hurting.

Ive stopped doing the full workout TBH, I use the recovery session and a couple of the plyometric circuits to go along with what I already do at the gym.

Its easy enough if your fit enough, if you have never done any plyos before beware, I can honestly say you have never felt DOMs until you have done an insanity or P90x plyo circuit.

Its hard work, very hard work, really works your core, everything that you do will leave you hurting.

Ive stopped doing the full workout TBH, I use the recovery session and a couple of the plyometric circuits to go along with what I already do at the gym.

Its easy enough if your fit enough, if you have never done any plyos before beware, I can honestly say you have never felt DOMs until you have done an insanity or P90x plyo circuit.

Cheers for that. I think I'll stick to my gym workouts, I've added some Pilates for core work, and TRX. Might chuck in another CV workout a week as well.

Also trying the 5:2 diet. I'm finding the 5 part really easy...

Cheers for that. I think I'll stick to my gym workouts, I've added some Pilates for core work, and TRX. Might chuck in another CV workout a week as well.

Also trying the 5:2 diet. I'm finding the 5 part really easy...

Its worth trying a plyo workout though, great for leg work, and will get you fit quick.

It hurts though, stairs are the enemy.

• 2 months later...

Done no exercise in about 6 weeks what with moving house and so on so dusted off the KB tonight, managed to do the full circuit in 15.25. Was killing at the end though, last few burpees and clean and press was hell.

Edited by Turkish

Good luck, couple of mates did it last year, said it was hellish.

That said, they have signed up to do it again this year, and got a few other people on board.

Cheers mate. I'm doing a Bootcamp / crossfit style class (plenty of kettle bells...) 5 times a week at the moment, and still running plenty so hopefully will be able to give it a good go. There's a team from the gym doing tough mudder together so it should be fun. I didn't want to run a marathon again this year, but fancied a new challenge!

• 2 months later...

Well,

My workout has changed alot since I last posted on here, Ive since dropped 2 stone and regularly run 7-10 miles. Back on the pitch, hamstring sorted and started doing upper body work.

Now I do two big hour HIIT sessions a week and 3 full body weights workouts inc K bells, deadlifts, dips, pull ups etc

Hows everyone else getting on ?!

i'm on a weights workout centred around deadlifts, squats, bench press. Cant do any cardio as have a calf injury but the idea was to do 4 weights sessions a week and 30 minutes HIT at then.

TBH if you're doing heavy squats and deads you don't need to worry too much about cardio.

TBH if you're doing heavy squats and deads you don't need to worry too much about cardio.

True, but I'm trying to shift some fat too. Not going to size but more strength so doing 3 sets of 8 reps on all of them after doing 3 warm up sets. Managed to do 25 minutes CV today after a nearly a month without due to the injury. Also back on the creatine this week and it does help.

Edited by Turkish

Trouble is, when you're recovering from an injury and doing these kinds of workouts ie stood with a load of kg's on your back, it's always in the back of your mind.....don't ruin it again! Cannot beat the feeling of smashing a good heavy session though. Squats, deads , weighted pull ups/dips and KB's are the key to true strength.

Trouble is, when you're recovering from an injury and doing these kinds of workouts ie stood with a load of kg's on your back, it's always in the back of your mind.....don't ruin it again! Cannot beat the feeling of smashing a good heavy session though. Squats, deads , weighted pull ups/dips and KB's are the key to true strength.

Have you done the snatch test yet on your KB?

That workout looks good, will give it a go tomorrow and post up the results.

I have been doing 5x5s at the moment with interval sprints & rowing for cardio, fat has melted off me.

Is that the stronglifts 5x5?

Well,

My workout has changed alot since I last posted on here, Ive since dropped 2 stone and regularly run 7-10 miles. Back on the pitch, hamstring sorted and started doing upper body work.

Now I do two big hour HIIT sessions a week and 3 full body weights workouts inc K bells, deadlifts, dips, pull ups etc

Hows everyone else getting on ?!

How many days a week are you training?