Quickest Diesel Hatchback?

Dog

If you arent going to do in excess of 20,000 miles a year, I would think carefully about this.

The different in model cost when switching from petrol to diesel might be impossible to get back over a normal car's lifetime.

I performed a calculation of fuel cost, consumption rate and expected distance travelled compared to model cost, before I bought my car, and worked out it would take 55 years for me to get my money back.

Skoda Fabia vRS (the old one, diesel manual). Golf GT TD engine in Polo body.

I got one after a wealth of recommendations, and it's brilliant. Bomb proof, goes like poo off a shovel, and mine is showing avg 55mpg (and I have a pretty heavy right foot). Servicing and insurance are peanuts, especially compared to the laughable prices that VW and (especially) Audi charge for the same motors. There's a reason that Skodas fill 3 of the top 4 slots in the latest Autoexpress and JD Power surveys. They're ace, and only badge snobs think otherwise.

New ones (post '07) are petrol auto, and consequently crap in comparison. People chop in their new ones for old ones.

Ironically enough I now need to sell mine, really wish I didn't have to but baby on the way and wife insists its not big enough. So if you did want to go down that route, you could have mine at a very reasonable price.

Drove a BMW 123d lent to me whilst my car was in service. **** me can it go... Did 144mph, I mean, I could have done.... on the M3.

But... I just dont like diesels, had one for years and I hate the lag and the front end weight. I have a 330i now, yes it drinks fuel but its amazing to drive, taking to the nordschleife next month :)

BMW diesels look to be about the best. If not a 1 series what about a 3?

I would speak to Nigel at Angel tuning. He remaps diesels all day long. He'll know whats good out of the box, and what can be transformed for a few hundred quid.

My money would go on aby BMW or Vw/ Audi. The engines have plenty in reserve so can be made bloody quick.

The 123d is a monster though and you'll struggle to get a better performance diesel.

The man on about the Fabia Vrs knows what he's on about. There's a guy on the owners' forum - briskoda.net who is running a Mk1 Fabia Vrs which looks almost standard, but is producing 265bhp and 400 torques. It's doing 0-60mph in about 5secs but he can still get 60mpg on a motorway run. These are ridiculous figures.

The man on about the Fabia Vrs knows what he's on about. There's a guy on the owners' forum - briskoda.net who is running a Mk1 Fabia Vrs which looks almost standard, but is producing 265bhp and 400 torques. It's doing 0-60mph in about 5secs but he can still get 60mpg on a motorway run. These are ridiculous figures.

Then in theory so could any other small car in the vag group? If that's right then dog could get similar performance but avoid having to sit in a skoda.

Then in theory so could any other small car in the vag group? If that's right then dog could get similar performance but avoid having to sit in a skoda.

No, because you won't find a VW/Audi/Seat with the same combination of engine, kerb weight and chassis. That's kind of the whole point, the vRS is unique, just like the original Ibiza Cupra Sport was.

And if you *could* find such a combination, it would cost a lot more. Which doesn't make sense. Because if you want to pay more for less, then pretty much every other manufacturer makes an inferior car in the same class (small diesel hatch), so just get one of them.

Only if you think they all weigh exactly the same and share 100% common parts. Why would you not want a car which looks good and tops the customer satisfaction surveys?

Only if you think they all weigh exactly the same and share 100% common parts. Why would you not want a car which looks good and tops the customer satisfaction surveys?

It's Dog who doesn't want to sit in a Skoda, ask him.

If you arent going to do in excess of 20,000 miles a year, I would think carefully about this.

The different in model cost when switching from petrol to diesel might be impossible to get back over a normal car's lifetime.

I performed a calculation of fuel cost, consumption rate and expected distance travelled compared to model cost, before I bought my car, and worked out it would take 55 years for me to get my money back.

Blimey, you sure you've got your sums the right way round?! Are you trying to recover the full cost of buying a diesel instead of a petrol car or will you be doing a low mpg?

I did the same thing, bought a diesel fiesta and I'll make up the difference in two years (the price difference between the diesel and petrol version). Savings to be made on road tax and insurance but you have to offset the cost of a higher service I guess.

Drove a BMW 123d lent to me whilst my car was in service. **** me can it go... Did 144mph, I mean, I could have done.... on the M3.

But... I just dont like diesels, had one for years and I hate the lag and the front end weight. I have a 330i now, yes it drinks fuel but its amazing to drive, taking to the nordschleife next month :)

Aaah Baj, you need the twin turbo. Don't get any lag in my 535d, but yup a little nose heavy but can't complain when I get 45+ mpg on a nice run

Blimey, you sure you've got your sums the right way round?! Are you trying to recover the full cost of buying a diesel instead of a petrol car or will you be doing a low mpg?

I did the same thing, bought a diesel fiesta and I'll make up the difference in two years (the price difference between the diesel and petrol version). Savings to be made on road tax and insurance but you have to offset the cost of a higher service I guess.

Depends entirely on the car though, it might be 2k on a fiesta but it's a hell of a lot more than that on something more 'desirable'. My mate has just bought a used X5 petrol, drinks fuel but he'll offset that against the 16 grand saving from buying the equivalent diesel model. So Alpine has a point