fao any geeks - I need some help

dune

I've just downloaded mcafee security which comes free with bt broadband, but it's still showing the microsoft security essentials running as well. Is this OK or should it just be one anti virus thing. If it should just be one how do I remove the the microsoft one.

Also while i'm doing this thoroughly boring crap how can one speed up ones computer?

I've just downloaded mcafee security which comes free with bt broadband, but it's still showing the microsoft security essentials running as well. Is this OK or should it just be one anti virus thing. If it should just be one how do I remove the the microsoft one.

Also while i'm doing this thoroughly boring crap how can one speed up ones computer?

Should be OK with Security Essentials as well as McAffee. As for speeding it up, how old is it, what processor, and how much RAM ? The easiest gain is to increase RAM and possibly defrag the HDD. Another thing to do is check everything that loads up at boot time, use HijackThis, and remove redundant device drivers, etc.

Should be OK with Security Essentials as well as McAffee. As for speeding it up, how old is it, what processor, and how much RAM ? The easiest gain is to increase RAM and possibly defrag the HDD. Another thing to do is check everything that loads up at boot time, use HijackThis, and remove redundant device drivers, etc.

It's a hewlett packard lap top windows 7, a couple of years old i think (bought it 2nd hand refurbished, dunno what RAM (dunno what RAM is tbh). How do I defrag the hdd (not the fogiest what this is ha)?

Like I say I just want it to work and have zero interest in the techy stuff, just what buttons to press to sort it out.

It's a hewlett packard lap top windows 7, a couple of years old i think (bought it 2nd hand refurbished, dunno what RAM (dunno what RAM is tbh). How do I defrag the hdd (not the fogiest what this is ha)?

Like I say I just want it to work and have zero interest in the techy stuff, just what buttons to press to sort it out.

Go to Control Panel => System and Security => System and look at the figure for Installed Memory ( RAM ). From the Control Panel window you can also select 'Advanced system settings' on the left hand side; on the displayed 'System Properties' frame go to the 'Advanced' tab and click on the 'Settings' button in the Performance box, this will show the 'Performance Options' frame, again select the 'Advanced' tab,- look at the figure for Virtual memory / paging file.

Go to Control Panel => System and Security => System and look at the figure for Installed Memory ( RAM ). From the Control Panel window you can also select 'Advanced system settings' on the left hand side; on the displayed 'System Properties' frame go to the 'Advanced' tab and click on the 'Settings' button in the Performance box, this will show the 'Performance Options' frame, again select the 'Advanced' tab,- look at the figure for Virtual memory / paging file.

Installed memory RAM 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable)

Cheers, but i'm bored with all this stuff now, i'll take it into the shop where I bought it and pay a specky geek to tune it up.:D

TBH it's only slow when it first starts up.

Installed memory RAM 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable)

Cheers, but i'm bored with all this stuff now, i'll take it into the shop where I bought it and pay a specky geek to tune it up.:D

TBH it's only slow when it first starts up.

Then you've got too many programs in your startup folder, and I'll bet you don't use half of them or even know they are running. Download CCLEANER and run it... will speed up your system a treat

If you're stuck with a machine that won't upgrade and need to buy a new one, I recommend http://www.aria.co.uk/

They're an outlet that sells a lot of PC World type old stock etc and they're helpful on the phone, as the guys are both techies and friendly and happy to talk!

You can upgrade last season's model for a few extra quid (more memory etc) and still get a new and guaranteed machine. For much less than you pay at PC World and the ilk.

If you're stuck with a machine that won't upgrade and need to buy a new one, I recommend http://www.aria.co.uk/

They're an outlet that sells a lot of PC World type old stock etc and they're helpful on the phone, as the guys are both techies and friendly and happy to talk!

You can upgrade last season's model for a few extra quid (more memory etc) and still get a new and guaranteed machine. For much less than you pay at PC World and the ilk.

I was told when I bought it that it was the best refurbished one they had - it's an hp pavillion. Like I say it's just slow at first so think it's basically alright.

Then you've got too many programs in your startup folder, and I'll bet you don't use half of them or even know they are running. Download CCLEANER and run it... will speed up your system a treat

Done, but i've somehow lost all my favourites. FFS it's gonna take me ages to get them back, especially my shares/pension micro sites. That cleaner thing seems good though.

Nice one lads, those tips will f@ck his lappy up good and proper :thumbup:

Lol. I don't really expect Dune does much more than post on here with his refurbed HP. It's probably just running out of general life given the amount of time he's online posting on here!

Also, MHS, "machines have souls" - why did my owner have to be Dune?

Edited by TopGun

3.2gb of ram on 32 bit and each app can only access 2gb of that....

Cleaner is snake oil, don't use it, utterly pointless.

Don't run 2 Av's it's ****ing retarded. MSE is fine, having two will end up in race conditions on files.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and all that, but in this case yours is just plain wrong.

I have used it many times and I swear by it. It clears redundant registry keys and drivers and deletes unwanted programs from startup resulting in a much smoother and faster system every time.

No, i'm not, any program that states that it removes unused/orphaned registry keys and cleans it up it frankly a piece of sh1t.

Who to believe? First hand personal experience backed up by the BBC, Independent, Washington Post, PC World, Telegraph etc or a random on a messageboard who cant construct a sentence? Tricky.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/reviews

I've rolled out around 50k machines over 15 years... So i'd wager I know more about this than any of you lot.

Well I don't claim to be any kind of industry-leading expert when it comes to IT, but the simple fact is I ran it on my own PC and it worked, so I ran it on my work laptop and it worked, and I have used it many many times on other computers in my day-to-day job and it has never failed to do what its developers claim it will.

And it's free, so what's not to like?

The only bit of advice you need Dune is never ever touch Mcafee or Norton....they are sh1te.

Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes will fix/stop most things.

Ooops, i've uninstalled MSE and am now running on Mcafee. I'll see how it goes.