New Phone Advice

Colinjb

The time has come for me to upgrade my phone. I shall be moving away from the iPhone due to my desire to decrease my bill by £10 per month and a wish to see what else is out there.

I am torn between:

Samsung Galaxy S3

Nokia Lumia 900

HTC One X

Blackberry Bold 9900

Sony Xperia S

I can get them all on orange for the same price (free on a tarriff with 1GB internet, apart from the S3 which requires a 50 pound deposit that will be given back after 3 months, apparently....) and am wondering if people have any experience with these devices.

Incidentally, does anyone know if there is a way to turn an iPhone 4 into essentially an iPod Touch?

Edited by Colinjb

The time has come for me to upgrade my phone. I shall be moving away from the iPhone due to my desire to decrease my bill by £10 per month and a wish to see what else is out there.

I am torn between:

Samsung Galaxy S3

Nokia Lumia 900

HTC One X

Blackberry Bold 9900

Sony Xperia S

I can get them all on orange for the same price (free on a tarriff with 1GB internet, apart from the S3 which requires a 50 pound deposit that will be given back after 3 months, apparently....) and am wondering if people have any experience with these devices.

Incidentally, does anyone know if there is a way to turn an iPhone 4 into essentially an iPod Touch?

I would say it was between the X and the S3. Several articles out there that compare them such as this one: http://www.motoringcrunch.com/news/mobile-tech/11157-samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-htc-one-x Fairly close on spec's but think generally the S3 has better software tweaks where as the X has possibly the better camera and screen. I would (if I had the money!) got for the X.

Stay clear of the Lumia and the Bold, although decent devices you aren't future proofed with them. The lumia will be stuck on Windows Phone 7 and Blackberry may well not be around in their current guise for long.

Having used all the others I would go for the One X, the S3 is a great phone but the One X feels better in the hand, you will also get the update to 4.1 faster through HTC than Samsung. Personally I went for the Galaxy Note which you may find on an even better deal - very large but for me it's no issue being 6' 4" with large hands.

Ignore the advice on the lumia. I've been an Android user since the 1.6 days and when I upgraded a month ago I looked at all of those you mention. I went for the lumia 800 and its amazing, stupidly quick and well built. The 900 looks better still.

Ms and Nokia have clearly chucked a fortune at tge technology in an effort to catch up, and it shows.

Windows 8 will be rolled out soon so upgrade not an issue.

Windows 8 is not going to be supported on the Lumia range - that's why I posted about future proofing. The Lumia will be limited to Windows 7.8, a halfway house upgrade as none of them have the required specs for Windows 8.

7.8, that's what I meant. Whatever the number, it's an upgrade!

7.5 is superb anyway, changes aren't strictly needed.

:-) Sucks for WP7 owners that MS aren't supporting the current range. Nokia are probably mighty annoyed as it will stop people buying the phones until the next version arrives.

The Lumia device range is superb......

Nokia are supporting the current range through 7.8 which delivers everything that can be through software; this includes additional camera functionality (from next month), Nokia Drive 3, Nokia Music, Transport and various other unnannounced stuff. It also gets the full WP8 tile screen (I.e. 3 tile sizes).

If your interest is speed then forget tech specs on processors and Google 'lost to a Lumia'. They are V. Quick....

E.g.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=lost%20to%20a%20lumia&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFYQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dpq-CNCYNoKo&ei=gjDzT6lrj9nyA5CFoKoJ&usg=AFQjCNHKvxDGLMBS5MTyLsdLVgNjeSKskw

The Lumia device range is superb......

Nokia are supporting the current range through 7.8 which delivers everything that can be through software; this includes additional camera functionality (from next month), Nokia Drive 3, Nokia Music, Transport and various other unnannounced stuff. It also gets the full WP8 tile screen (I.e. 3 tile sizes).

If your interest is speed then forget tech specs on processors and Google 'lost to a Lumia'. They are V. Quick....

E.g.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=lost%20to%20a%20lumia&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFYQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dpq-CNCYNoKo&ei=gjDzT6lrj9nyA5CFoKoJ&usg=AFQjCNHKvxDGLMBS5MTyLsdLVgNjeSKskw

Got to agree I've used the Nokia lumia range and they are great and fast and also love the fact they retained Things like Nokia drive and music.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Got to agree I've used the Nokia lumia range and they are great and fast and also love the fact they retained Things like Nokia drive and music.

Seeing the phone you're currently using, how would you compare the experience of Nokia with Windows against the Desire with Android? I've got a Desire that I've enjoyed for the past two years but am now looking to change, but I'm split between the X One, Galaxy S3 and the Lumia 900.

Seeing the phone you're currently using, how would you compare the experience of Nokia with Windows against the Desire with Android? I've got a Desire that I've enjoyed for the past two years but am now looking to change, but I'm split between the X One, Galaxy S3 and the Lumia 900.

I would say you can customise the Android phones more to suit how you would like it .looking at your options I would say the galaxy s3 is properly the best phone on the market at the moment but your best bet is go to the phone stores and play with the phones to see what suits you best.

The lumia very different to anything android. Not at all geeky so you can't customise it with different browsers, keyboards, roms etc. You just use it and it work very, very well.

Its definitely less buggy, no force closes on apps etc.

The software is excellent and I don't get the fuss about lack of upgrades. It doesn't need them but 7.8 is on its way anyway.

In real use speed the lumia outperforms all of the androids I've owned.

Ok, I've gone in and been predictable. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S3.

Nearly went with the Lumia 900..... But I wanted to try Android for size. Any apps recommendations?

(Incidentally, my iPhone 4 still works as an iPod touch and the GPS chip is still fully active even though the sim is now a dud, perfect!)

Ok, I've gone in and been predictable. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S3.

Nearly went with the Lumia 900..... But I wanted to try Android for size. Any apps recommendations?

(Incidentally, my iPhone 4 still works as an iPod touch and the GPS chip is still fully active even though the sim is now a dud, perfect!)

glad you went with a open mind and i would always recommend anyone who buys a phone to have a play with all the phones to see what suits them rather then go with latest trendy overpriced phone and gimmicks.hope you enjoy your galaxy s3 proberly the one i would have gone for followed by the nokia lumia 900.

Please can I draw on the knowledge here?

I'm in the same position but with a lot less knowledge than Colin - my question is quite a simple one. As an aged Luddite I've stayed with Nokia over the years simply because I know roughly how the menus work. Currently I have the N900 - will I have to do relearning in each of the S3 and the Lumia or will the Lumia be more familiar from the start?

Sorry it's so basic but really appreciate the feedback

I'm in the same position but with a lot less knowledge than Colin - my question is quite a simple one. As an aged Luddite I've stayed with Nokia over the years simply because I know roughly how the menus work. Currently I have the N900 - will I have to do relearning in each of the S3 and the Lumia or will the Lumia be more familiar from the start?

Yes, the Lumia will be completely different for you - as will the S3.

As summarised above.....you can customise Android way more; you can personalise Windows Phone, but not to the same extent. WP is very easy to use actually.

Suggest you get to a shop and have a good play with both.

I would say based on playing and feedback....

The S3 is super powerful but the Lumia will be easier to pick and and go with. The windows phone OS was outstanding intuitive, found it better then the interface on my old iPhone.

Both seem to be excellent handsets either way.

I agree with Colin. Android phones are great but nowhere near as intuitive as the windows phone which really is a "pick up and play" phone.

And no-one has yet mentioned xBox integration, which will only get better and better.

I agree with Colin. Android phones are great but nowhere near as intuitive as the windows phone which really is a "pick up and play" phone.

Got a Samsung W windows phone yesterday for my first smartphone. Not connected yet but had a play and a look around and it'll do me for my first: €180/£143 on special offer including bluetooth earphone and a lightweight ABS suitcase thrown in! Unusual for things to be cheaper here, and hopefully it'll last me a few years: feels slick and a good display. Front facing camera so I can Skype aged parent.:-)

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, the Lumia will be completely different for you - as will the S3.

As summarised above.....you can customise Android way more; you can personalise Windows Phone, but not to the same extent. WP is very easy to use actually.

Suggest you get to a shop and have a good play with both.

Thanks - advice much appreciated

my missus got the Xperia s last week, can't knock except ics isn't out yet.

Sadly I can only speak from experience, ICS has broken my Bluetooth on my arc as Sony have cocked up their build (all over their forums), The issue is the phone does not ask for the PIN when paring new devices so you can't pair the device. I have had to get O2 to send me a new phone as Sony told me tuff (well they said they reserve the right to change the supported devices on upgrades). So unfortunately if anyone is ever looking at a Sony device in the future their customer service and future support is woeful.

I am now also looking for a new phone if the one O2 send me has ICS on it.

Samsung S3 is the best on the market at the moment. I've got one and love it. Battery is also topnotch for such a powerful phone.

Yeah from what I can tell so far as I'm looking at a new phone is Windows 8 looks like a great option but actually the OS seems more closed than iOS on the iPhone.

The new iPhone is not out for 6 weeks at least and the cost of buying one sim free (even one on contract you need to pay £100) is just mental for anything other than the basic model.

Then Android is very customisable but does have issues in being too open IMO. However the best two phones on the market are the S3 or the HTC one X, the battery life on the HTC really lets it down with not even a full days charge available to it, but the down side is that they are both very large phones.

How do you cope with the extra size of the phone when using it as a phone and moving around with it in your jean pockets.