heres a thought.....?

lordswoodsaints

have a feeling that the stay aways that are not staying away because of lowe are jumping on the 'lowe out' bandwagon to justify their absence.

i honestly believe that if lowe were to walk now,the attendance would not increase by any significant amount,maybe a few hundred at most.

the 'bandwagon jumpers' will just jump on another excuse as they will never admit they are staying away because we are in the chamionship.

the single biggest factor for the lack of support is that we are not a a premiership club playing against premiership opposition.

the 'lowe outs' have insignificant numbers imo,certainly not enough to influence any great change to our circumstances but the 'premiership only' fans could change our fortunes significantly.

heres a thought......

i think that we would be better off trying to attract these fans back rather than the minority.if i were lowe i would send a letter to every fan on the database who hasnt bought a ticket since our relegation and offer them a ticket for a quid,lets say 10k tickets,perhaps only about 7k would take up the offer but out of those 7k you might get 2 or 3k who would start coming again on a regular basis.

the club cannot lose,they get a few 'bums on seats',they get a few quid from the 'bums on seats' and the 'bums on seats 'may come back again.not only that but lowe will gain a little bit of popularity,the club will be seen to be doing something in the eyes of the bank and the fans and the stadium will look a little less empty.

what have they got to lose? some season ticket holders will be p1ssed off but they could be appeased by a free ticket to a cup game or something.

if i were lowe i would send a letter to every fan on the database who hasnt bought a ticket since our relegation and offer them a ticket for a quid,lets say 10k tickets,perhaps only about 7k would take up the offer but out of those 7k you might get 2 or 3k who would start coming again on a regular basis.

I would give Rupert Lowe £10K to ban them for life...

have a feeling that the stay aways that are not staying away because of lowe are jumping on the 'lowe out' bandwagon to justify their absence.

i honestly believe that if lowe were to walk now,the attendance would not increase by any significant amount,maybe a few hundred at most.

the 'bandwagon jumpers' will just jump on another excuse as they will never admit they are staying away because we are in the chamionship.

the single biggest factor for the lack of support is that we are not a a premiership club playing against premiership opposition.

the 'lowe outs' have insignificant numbers imo,certainly not enough to influence any great change to our circumstances but the 'premiership only' fans could change our fortunes significantly.

heres a thought......

i think that we would be better off trying to attract these fans back rather than the minority.if i were lowe i would send a letter to every fan on the database who hasnt bought a ticket since our relegation and offer them a ticket for a quid,lets say 10k tickets,perhaps only about 7k would take up the offer but out of those 7k you might get 2 or 3k who would start coming again on a regular basis.

the club cannot lose,they get a few 'bums on seats',they get a few quid from the 'bums on seats' and the 'bums on seats 'may come back again.not only that but lowe will gain a little bit of popularity,the club will be seen to be doing something in the eyes of the bank and the fans and the stadium will look a little less empty.

what have they got to lose? some season ticket holders will be p1ssed off but they could be appeased by a free ticket to a cup game or something.

The problem here is the 4,000 - 5,000 that buy matchday tickets won't bother paying and will wait for the 'quid' ticket. The normal income from them will far outweigh the quid from each of the 10,000+ fans that may turn up.

I don't think Lowe;s return had any noticeable affect on crowd numbers this season.

Few wins / defeats makes huge difference.

Its more a continuation of the decline as premiership, well even play off become a distant memory.

This season crowds I think were set when we were so bad for the 2nd half of last season.

If we had an exciting new chairman it may have a positive effect -but none of names mentioned would do that.

I will be the first one back at the turnstyle the very next match after Lowe's departure. Until then, the shadowy cabal he represents will not be exercising their nefarious influence with my money.

to watch the same players? play the same tactics against the same team? strange.

I pay to look at the pitch not directors box;)

Directly? May be not. But by his actions since resuming control (whether one deemed them necessary, or not) I would say he has had a massive affect on crowd numbers.

I think there is some impact (but that goes onto another arguement as to whether we could have kept the "names" with another chairman). Him just being there - can't see it makes any real difference to attendances.

Lowes return is responsible for the 5K missing from last season and that is beyond doubt.

What is arguable is whether those 5K are not coming because they want nothing to do with Lowe, or, whether they couldn't give a monkeys about who is in charge but don't want to pay £24 to watch what amounts to a reserve side get beaten each week.

Either way they are not coming along to SMS because of Lowes return. Fact.

I think there is some impact (but that goes onto another arguement as to whether we could have kept the "names" with another chairman). Him just being there - can't see it makes any real difference to attendances.

Lowe coming back p'd a lot of people off, some stated they wouldn't set foot in St Mary's until he left the club (not that many, I would have thought), others support the club no matter who is in the boardroom. He then culled the first team squad, some necessary others less so. He removed the first popular manager we've had for years and replaced him with two Dutch coaches with not much of a track record and no experience of English football. He made some very popular people redundant. He loaned out the remainder of the experienced players and replaced them with teenagers. On the pitch we now have a youth/reserve team attempting to mix it with the big boys and although talented and playing some attractive football are sinking while trying to swim! In turn, this affects the results and we keep losing!! All this at the time of the credit crunch has erroded peoples enthusiasm and they are finding something better to do on a Saturday. In summary, I think Lowe's return has had a big impact on the dwindling attendances.

Edited by krissyboy31

Lowes return is responsible for the 5K missing from last season and that is beyond doubt.

What is arguable is whether those 5K are not coming because they want nothing to do with Lowe, or, whether they couldn't give a monkeys about who is in charge but don't want to pay £24 to watch what amounts to a reserve side get beaten each week.

Not fact. Opinion. Or spin.

Most ex season ticket holders i have spoken to (quite a lot,some been st holders for 20 years until this season),put their absence at games down to two things.

A-The team not winning.

B-Rupert Lowe.

But its a kind of double wammy really,because its Lowes actions in the first place that have caused us to lose so many games anyway.

So it doesnt matter how you word it,Lowe simply has to go before the crowds start to return.

it is only a fact if Lowe was the only one who was going to cut the playing staff.

Lowe coming back p'd a lot of people off, some stated they wouldn't set foot in St Mary's until he left the club (not that many, I would have thought), others support the club no matter who is in the boardroom. He then culled the first team squad, some necessary others less so. He removed the first popular manager we've had for years and replaced him with two Dutch coaches with not much of a track record and no experience of English football. He made some very popular people redundant. He loaned out the remainder of the experienced players and replaced them with teenagers. On the pitch we now have a youth/reserve team attempting to mix it with the big boys and although talented and playing some attractive football are sinking while trying to swim! In turn, this affects the results and we keep losing!! All this at the time of the credit crunch has erroded peoples enthusiasm and they are finding something better to do on a Saturday. In summary, I think Lowe's return has had a big impact on the dwindling attendances.

again, agree with most of that -what I don't know is whether (nor does anyone else on here) whether we would still have the bigger names or won more games if Lowe wasn't here. Without knowing that we can say he is the sole cause.

Why on earth should anyone have to justify not goping to a football matxch to anyone other than themselves (or perhaps very close family).

It's their money, their time; and they can spend it how they damn well like!!!

Thank you for saying that cambsaint. This has turned into another of never ending "I'm a better fan than you" threads.

It doesn't matter whether you've followed SFC through thick and thin for 30, 40, 50 years or more - if you're not going at the moment (it doesn't matter why apparently) you're not considered a proper fan.

By this logic of the only true supporters we'd still be getting 15,000 a week were we to end up in the Blue Square but I think some of them would have dropped away by then? I wonder what those who go to away games most weeks (like I did when able) think of the part time supporters who can only be arsed to travel half an hour to SMS once a fortnight?

The problem here is the 4,000 - 5,000 that buy matchday tickets won't bother paying and will wait for the 'quid' ticket. The normal income from them will far outweigh the quid from each of the 10,000+ fans that may turn up.

if you read my post the quid tickets will only goto the fans that havnt been since we were relegated or it could even be extended to those who have not attended since perhaps our first season in the championship.im estimating it would probably be about 10k?? give or take a k.

so the regulars who attend wont be targeted with the £1 tickets.

as usual this has gone a bit off topic.

all im trying to find out is wether or not trying to get the lost thousands through the gates would work and would it be viable.also how the season tickets holders would react.

dont turn it into a 'we hate lowe' thread or 'im a better fan than you' thread.theres plenty of these threads already on here.

If it were that simple, why have we suffered more than any other former Prem club in the CCC - and by quite a distance. Been to Carrow Road recently, for example?

I think the relationship between fans and Lowe is more complex than you imagine, and is part of a wider, longer lasting and profound disillusionment that set in with the failure and subsequent ejection of Wilde, the executives' coup, the brief Crouch interregnum and the Lowe/Wilde counter coup.

The sheer bitterness of the various boardroom wars have been conducted for the most part in a way that suggests that the antagonists actually think their mind-bogglingly petty, peevish, utterly stupid rows are in any way important. Now we've reached the nadir - where the two incumbents, on the evidence so far, are either too idiotic or too inward-looking, or both, to act on the catastrophic decline in attendances.

I can think of a lot of clubs where chairmen are unpopular. I can't think of a single other club that has been cursed in the way we have by such a motley collection of chancers, office politicians, and two-faced creeps.

HTH.

Edited by Roman

If it were that simple, why have we suffered more than any other former Prem club in the CCC - and by quite a distance. Been to Carrow Road recently, for example?

I think the relationship between fans and Lowe is more complex than you imagine, and is part of a wider, longer lasting and profound disillusionment that set in with the failure and subsequent ejection of Wilde, the executives' coup, the brief Crouch interregnum and the Lowe/Wilde counter coup.

The sheer bitterness of the various boardroom wars have been conducted for the most part in a way that suggests that the antagonists actually think their mind-bogglingly petty, peevish, utterly stupid rows are in any way important. Now we've reached the nadir - where the two incumbents, on the evidence so far, are either too idiotic or too inward-looking, or both, to act on the catastrophic decline in attendances.

I can think of a lot of clubs where chairmen are unpopular. I can't think of a single other club that has been cursed in the way we have by such a motley collection of chancers, office politicians, and two-faced creeps.

HTH.

i dont think we have suffered anymore or any less than say watford,charlton,crystal palace,coventry,forest or norwich......thay have all had good stints in the prem and most of them are languishing in the lower half of the league with us.

our problems started by not being able to keep hold of the majority of our premiership players when we were relegated.we invited trouble by putting a clause in their contracts which halved their wages.....this encouraged them to look elsewhere.

some people say that this action had to happen to stop the club going under,but i disagree.we were still operating as a premiership club and our attendances were still very high for a club that had been relegated and we were recieving the parachute payments.

instead of lowering their wages the club should have written a clause in their contracts that said that they had to stay at least one season if we were relegated, to at least try and bounce straight back up.for this they would still get their high wages,i think it would have worked and it would have been a better gamble than giving burley £7m to spend,money that we didnt have and are now paying for.

players are only driven by money these days and i think that this would have been a more viable option.

the teams in 2nd and 3rd place in this league (birmingham,reading) have done exactly that,they have somehow managed to keep hold of the majority of their premiership players and it is no coincidence that they are heading back to the premiership.

lowe may have thought he was doing the right thing but imo he was being over cautious too soon,we should have carried on running the club premiership style for at least a year and then looked at other ways.

gambling,as we did,effectively chasing our losses was a stupid thing to do and that is why we are here today.lowe may be partly at fault for our relegation but wilde and crouch are at fault for our present situation through their stupidity and 'live now pay later' attitude.

Edited by lordswoodsaints

The main reason fans are staying away is because the team is ****, the Championship is **** and people are not spending money like they were before the crunch.

However Lowe is a factor for the fan who doesn't mind **** football and has a bit of disposable income. If he had came in, showed a bit of humility, apologised for his previous ****-ups and outbursts towards the fans it might have helped.

What he did though was come in and sack a perfectly good manager who was popular with the fans. He basically slapped every fan in the face and said like it or not I'm doing what I want, your opinion counts for nothing.

If he wanted to lose all support he couldn't have gone about it any better, you have to question his intelligence in that respect.

If we won 5 in a row now, the attendence would hit about 22k I imagine. If we got towards the top of the league, probably 25k or more. Promotion and we'd be near full again. That's all WITH lowe here. So no, I don't think we'd see a magic rise in attendences if Lowe left. Maybe 500 or so, but people would find something else to moan about, another reason not to go. IMO, the only reasons to not go are money and being away.
i think you are spot on with that post.

If we won 5 in a row now, the attendence would hit about 22k I imagine. If we got towards the top of the league, probably 25k or more. Promotion and we'd be near full again. That's all WITH lowe here. So no, I don't think we'd see a magic rise in attendences if Lowe left. Maybe 500 or so, but people would find something else to moan about, another reason not to go. IMO, the only reasons to not go are money and being away.

On top of which, football is still an entertainment business. Generally people will not fork out £24 to see their club lose at home, week in, week out. Football is a results business.

It will be interesting to see if the attendance rises for the Notts Forest game as the club are lowering an adult ticket to £15.