Our Defence

wheels

Controversially, thought fox looked pretty good at cb last year could be an option if we can conjure up a left back from somewhere else.

Given Fox's weakness is defending, are you sure you'd want him playing CB ahead of Yoshida, Jos, Fonte and even ahead of recalling Aaron Martin? Those four are recognised CB's who can at least defend, whereas Fox is an attacking LB who can't defend very well, especially in one-on-one situations.

He's a good Championship defender, so at that level it might be worth a risk if absolutely necessary. But in the Prem, it's an unnecessary risk too far.

60% of our defence yesterday did not play for us in the Championship. Well done you for predicting the future. People can make any situation fit the things they said without actually considering any facts.

Look at the season as a whole we've used Fox, Richardson, Fonte, Hooiveld, Davis, Butterfield to my recollection

We've signed two keepers together with Clyne and Yoshida - unless I'm much mistaken we can only play one man in goal

We've let in a hatful of goals - we'll always look like scoring but man do we look like conceding too - this has been apparent for at least a season - Its one area where NC has fallen down - he should have strengthened more in this area during the close season if he wants the team and manager to do their job and keep us up.

I know he's probably not Prem class in pure ability but last season, I feel a major part of any defence solidity we had came when Dean Hammond was sitting in front of the back 4, breaking up opposition attacks and generally organising those around him, from the middle of the park. As good as Morgan is, we are sorely missing that this season. Davis is neat and tidy and Morgan covers ground well and passes the ball well but a Deano-style player to protect the back 4 is missing. Cork gave us energy too and will be a major plus when he returns.

I know he's probably not Prem class in pure ability but last season' date=' I feel a major part of any defence solidity we had came when Dean Hammond was sitting in front of the back 4, breaking up opposition attacks and generally organising those around him, from the middle of the park. As good as Morgan is, we are sorely missing that this season. Davis is neat and tidy and Morgan covers ground well and passes the ball well but a Deano-style player to protect the back 4 is missing. Cork gave us energy too and will be a major plus when he returns.[/quote']

Agreed.

Brusquets/Mascherano/Gareth Barry type..with Morgan and Steve Davis just in front.

Not that we can get those chaps.....but anchor man required to free up Morgan and Davis.

Edited by ottery st mary

How much does it cost us?

A lot more than it's worth, I've no idea but far too many players that we have spent time and money on developing are swelling the ranks of Totton and Salisbury. Given that you have a full time academy manager and a development manager and a whole set of teachers and what have you it's not worth it's continued existence. We need to go for real quality intake from scouting and bring the few really gifted player on to become first team regulars instead of hanging about on the bench at 21 years old.

A lot more than it's worth, I've no idea but far too many players that we have spent time and money on developing are swelling the ranks of Totton and Salisbury. Given that you have a full time academy manager and a development manager and a whole set of teachers and what have you it's not worth it's continued existence. We need to go for real quality intake from scouting and bring the few really gifted player on to become first team regulars instead of hanging about on the bench at 21 years old.

no idea what you are talking about. Players like Theo, Bale and Chamberlian have brought in well over £20m in the last few years so more than paid for the youth system. Ward-Prowse is going to be worth an absolute fortune.

If fit, I'd go for 5 at the back away from home: push Fox and Clyne both forward at every chance and use Fonte (or Jos if playing against a Crouch or Carroll type), Moshida and Seabourne. Seabourne was looking excellent early on last season before he went and got the s!#t kicked out of him and I can't imagine him just alowing a ball to cross our six yard box.

I want to see a change in how to defend set pieces, but I do know that almost every team does it the way we are doing now.

I would want our defensive line to set up lower when we are defending set pieces because I believe it´s easier to defend if you can go forward and jump rather than like now ran backwards or towards the own goal and try to win the battles one on one. Our defenders are not that athletic that they can outjump the oppositions and that´s why I would prefer this different setup. You also get more players between the ball and the goal after the delivery in this type of setup.

Yes it makes flicks close to the goal more of a risk but right now I´ll take that and try to make a change instead of what we are doing now.....

(yes, english is NOT my first language so all of you grammar police do not have to report to the office due to this post)

Don't worry, you are so much better than a few on here !!!

no idea what you are talking about. Players like Theo, Bale and Chamberlian have brought in well over £20m in the last few years so more than paid for the youth system. Ward-Prowse is going to be worth an absolute fortune.

As is Shaw, no doubt. Plus, you can't attract the best young players unless you're well respected in youth development, so these players would simply go elsewhere if we didn't invest in the academy. And the money spent on the academy over the years will be less than buying somebody like those you've mentioned when we need, so it's win-win.