Nexus 10

pap

Anyone got their eye on one of these? For the uninitiated, the Nexus 10 is the next big droid tablet. When released, it'll be the highest res tablet on the market. Top end 32Gb model is going to be £385.

I have to say, I'm tempted.

They work with the S3. Just have to buy a small cable.

I think the thing is that both Amazon and Google hope to make money on their tablets by selling you content, either to store locally or to stream from the cloud. As such they make it a bit harder to actually play your own content on them, hence why USB drives are not (or were not with 4.1 it might be different now) supported by default.

I forgot that its harder to set your iphone up as a wireless hotspot compared to android.

You really are a sarcastic prat aren't you?

I'd like my tablet to have its own mobile data connection so that it can access the internet itself without me having to tether it to a smartphone and waste two batteries in one go. Is that ok with you, or would you like to argue the toss about why it would be much better to use two devices to do something which one could realistically achieve on its own?

Seems a bit odd to me that Google offer a mobile data connection on the 7 tablet but not the 10. I guess they didn't go with your 'logic' throughout the range.

You really are a sarcastic prat aren't you?

I'd like my tablet to have its own mobile data connection so that it can access the internet itself without me having to tether it to a smartphone and waste two batteries in one go. Is that ok with you, or would you like to argue the toss about why it would be much better to use two devices to do something which one could realistically achieve on its own?

Seems a bit odd to me that Google offer a mobile data connection on the 7 tablet but not the 10. I guess they didn't go with your 'logic' throughout the range.

Touchy...

Personally I see a fair amount of logic in have mobile data access on the smaller more portable Nexus 7 while not having it on the nexus 10 which appears to be aimed at being used around the house.

As to the data connection you obviously have the choice between having 2 devices (phone and tablet) having separate connections or sharing the same connection. both have pros and cons.

My girls have Nexus 7 and we just use a 99p app and an OTG cable and job's a goodun. App supports SD card readers as well.

So can you read directly over the cable ( i.e. do apps pick it up as a drive )? Or do you have to copy it over?

They pick it up as a drive.

My kids use it all the time and I borrow one and usually watch a movie when the nipper has a 2hr indoor net session. Works a treat.

I am now officially back to tempted. Sweet deal.

Think I'm still in the Apple mindset of "it is the way it is".

My nipper is somewhat regretting getting his ipad as it's not as flexible as his sisters' Nexus.

Surely carrying around and attaching a hard drive to watch a movie defeats one of the main points of a portable media tablet, doesn't it?

What size iPad does he use? Why can't he just drag and drop movies (in virtually any format) into a free player like the FlexPlayer app that I use?

Surely carrying around and attaching a hard drive to watch a movie defeats one of the main points of a portable media tablet, doesn't it?

What size iPad does he use? Why can't he just drag and drop movies (in virtually any format) into a free player like the FlexPlayer app that I use?

A 32gb usb stick (that cost me 13 pounds) isn't exactly big or heavy.

But having to have dangly bits hanging out from your device when you want to access a movie? Seems mad.

You can load it onto your memory if you choose to but when going on holiday with around 20 movies saved it's easy to keep them on a memory stick or two.

If I'm on the train, for example, I tend you just transfer them into the memory to watch.

But having to have dangly bits hanging out from your device when you want to access a movie? Seems mad.

Let us question the motives of these supposed madman.

Why on earth would anyone want to plug something into their device to watch a movie?

Our top answer:-

"Can't be arsed copying file to device because of time or space considerations".

Our next top answer:-

"Can travel around with terabytes of storage, all accessible with a little wire".

I think you're being knowingly vacant, Essruu. Even a junior geek would know why that would be a good thing.

If a young lad needs more than 16gb of entertainment on a 2wk holiday, then there's something wrong with the holiday, surely?

Translation: "It's not just your device which is substandard. So was your holiday"

If a grown man is reduced to deducting the potential enjoyment that a forum poster's family may have had on a holiday all because of a device he doesn't like, on a thread about a device he doesn't like, there is something wrong with the man, surely?

If a young lad needs more than 16gb of entertainment on a 2wk holiday, then there's something wrong with the holiday, surely?

I think the point is that there are certain things in a device like music that are permanently on there and I don't want to keep moving that sort of thing off to accommodate bigger files likes films and tv series when I am going on a trip.

Translation: "It's not just your device which is substandard. So was your holiday"

No. A two week holiday is likely to be the longest he would need his iPad without syncing or transferring files. I think it is a poor show if anyone (not the lad in particular) needs to carry around a device - be it an iPad, Nexus or any other slab or hard drive - with a huge amount of Gb or Tb of movies or tv shows when they're on holiday. A movie or two every day of a holiday? Really?

People need to get away from the 'look how big my hard drive is and how many songs/movies I can carry around with me at any time' mentality anyway. Much like people are using Pandora, Spotify etc to access whatever music they like on the go/ in the cloud, so too can they access tv and movies in the same way. Particularly when you're on holiday with the ever increasing likelihood of having wifi access. This year on two foreign breaks, I barely used the locally stored media on my iPad, because I was able to play any song I wanted on Spotify and watch movies/TV through Netflix. If I had wanted to I could've watched some locally stored media, but I certainly wouldn't lug around hard drives or USB devices to attach to devices solely so that I could watch stuff I already owned and had probably already seen before, instead of enjoying my holidays.

As a society, we are in danger of raising kids who are lost without Internet, iPhones, Blackberries and instant online communication with their 1,875 online friends. If their Xbox loses online connection then it's the end of the world and they're bored with nothing else to do. Sorry, I do not believe that a kid cannot survive 2wks with 'only' a 16Gb supply of movie, TV and game collection. And, to be envious of a sibling who has a device that can have another load of media Gb plugged into it?

The quicker the advances if technology, the more gimme gimme gimme gormless cretins who have lost sight of the difference between 'need' and 'want more than I can possibly use' we become.

No. A two week holiday is likely to be the longest he would need his iPad without syncing or transferring files. I think it is a poor show if anyone (not the lad in particular) needs to carry around a device - be it an iPad, Nexus or any other slab or hard drive - with a huge amount of Gb or Tb of movies or tv shows when they're on holiday. A movie or two every day of a holiday? Really?

People need to get away from the 'look how big my hard drive is and how many songs/movies I can carry around with me at any time' mentality anyway. Much like people are using Pandora, Spotify etc to access whatever music they like on the go/ in the cloud, so too can they access tv and movies in the same way. Particularly when you're on holiday with the ever increasing likelihood of having wifi access. This year on two foreign breaks, I barely used the locally stored media on my iPad, because I was able to play any song I wanted on Spotify and watch movies/TV through Netflix. If I had wanted to I could've watched some locally stored media, but I certainly wouldn't lug around hard drives or USB devices to attach to devices solely so that I could watch stuff I already owned and had probably already seen before, instead of enjoying my holidays.

As a society, we are in danger of raising kids who are lost without Internet, iPhones, Blackberries and instant online communication with their 1,875 online friends. If their Xbox loses online connection then it's the end of the world and they're bored with nothing else to do. Sorry, I do not believe that a kid cannot survive 2wks with 'only' a 16Gb supply of movie, TV and game collection. And, to be envious of a sibling who has a device that can have another load of media Gb plugged into it?

The quicker the advances if technology, the more gimme gimme gimme gormless cretins who have lost sight of the difference between 'need' and 'want more than I can possibly use' we become.

18 nights in rural France or Italy (plus 2-4 days travelling), usually without WiFi and deffo without any English speaking TV. Try it with young kids and then come back and say they don't need the capacity to locally store movies, TV series etc.

Of an evening, after a day tearing around in total freedom, when it's black as can be outside, they want to watch something and mum & dad like the peace of quiet of them watching something!

Blimey Essruu, I really don't know how to take that. I'm having real trouble reconciling this heartfelt monologue to a gentler age with your rabid desire to come onto tech boards and dis technology you don't own.

Take your social concerns about the effect of the black mirror to the Lounge mate. This thread is for people who are interested in the Nexus 10.

What are you here to discuss?

• 7 months later...

Just ordered one of these from eBay as it looked like a bit of a bargain at £299 with free delivery. RRP new is £379.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Google-Nexus-10-10-32-GB-Android-4-2-JellyBean-Wi-Fi-Tablet-Black-/290933226712?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item43bcf8bcd8

The units are described as refurbished but given this description:

The item in this listing has been re-certified to new condition. This is as close to new as it gets. There are no signs of scratches or usage on the unit. This item comes supplied with a warranty from Google Nexus. This is a USA version supplied with an adapter.

...I'm wondering if Google is shifting some stocks of new items either due to poor sales or to make way for an updated model launch.

...I'm wondering if Google is shifting some stocks of new items either due to poor sales or to make way for an updated model launch.

It could just be that they had an awful lot of customers who didn't like it so returned them for refund, or they had a mountain of faulty units to repair and get shot of.

True. It could be.

Dunno, Trusted Reviews gives this a 9 out of 10, with a user score of 7.7.

Must be something else.

Perhaps top level Google executives descended on the houses of Nexus 10 customers and engaged in a massive "dirty protest", thereby causing said customers to return their Nexus 10s in a sort of "revenge" protest.

(Hey, if I'm going to make you feel bad about your purchase, I feel you're owed a bit of creativity, at least. Dirty creativity, granted :D)

Dunno, Trusted Reviews gives this a 9 out of 10, with a user score of 7.7.

Must be something else.

Perhaps top level Google executives descended on the houses of Nexus 10 customers and engaged in a massive "dirty protest", thereby causing said customers to return their Nexus 10s in a sort of "revenge" protest.

(Hey, if I'm going to make you feel bad about your purchase, I feel you're owed a bit of creativity, at least. Dirty creativity, granted :D)

Whilst Google execs descending on the houses of Nexus 10 owners and smearing their exec-excrement on the walls is obviously the most likely reason for the mass product return papster, I'm happy to indulge Essruu.

At first I thought Essruu was simply shooting for humour, then I allowed my mind to wander and had a vision of him posting here with one hand on his Mini, whilst thumbing the washing instructing label of a familiar blanket with the other hand, rocking backward and forward mumbling "I miss you Steve".

I hope I'm wrong, but it's the only logical explanation for Apple's #1 benefactor continually posting in Android threads - either that or he's on the cusp of moving away from Apple to Android.

Apple's good kit Essruu. Really good kit. I'd stay with it if it suits you.