Ian Black RIP

Fitzhugh Fella

Ian Black, Saints goalkeeper between 1947 and 1950 has passed away aged 88. He played 104 games for Saints and was the only Southampton player in the 20th century to win a Scotland cap v England 1948.

In his 97 league games for us he only let in 95 goals, making him the only Saints goalkeeper to have an average of less than one goal per game.

When Bill Dodgin left Saints for Fulham in 1950, Ian followed him to Craven Cottage and went on to play 263 League games for them.

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

Ian Black, Saints goalkeeper between 1947 and 1950 has passed away aged 88. He played 104 games for Saints and was the only Southampton player in the 20th century to win a Scotland cap v England 1948.

In his 97 league games for us he only let in 95 goals, making him the only Saints goalkeeper to have an average of less than one goal per game.

When Bill Dodgin left Saints for Fulham in 1950, Ian followed him to Craven Cottage and went on to play 263 League games for them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_Forsyth

I met Campbell Forsyth at Dalmahoy a few years ago and he mentioned that he had played against England !

I just checked and his Wiki entry seems to confirm this, so I'm afraid your statement ain't quite right FF (sorry for being a smartarse:)!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_Forsyth

I met Campbell Forsyth at Dalmahoy a few years ago and he mentioned that he had played against England !

I just checked and his Wiki entry seems to confirm this, so I'm afraid your statement ain't quite right FF (sorry for being a smartarse:)!

Campbell was capped while at Kilmarnock - he was not capped while on Saints books

I think Ian Black's death leaves Bill Ellerington as the only one of the post war side still alive. Funny because Ellerington got pneumonia and retired early not fully fit, he must now be 90 and was a regular at all home matches until recently. As for Ian Black he was my hero but when Dodgin left as manager and went to Fulham Black followed which is common nowadays but was considered a terrible let down in those days. He was never quite as good at Fulham as he had been with us which is probably why he only got one cap. Should have stayed with us!

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})