What car?

hypochondriac

I am not a car person in any way. Am looking to buy a brand new car for the family to drive short distances but for tax reasons the choices are limited. Out of these three which would you choose?

Fiat Punto

Vauxhall Corsa

Renault Clio

Thanks for any advice from people who know a lot more about cars than me.

I personally wouldn't have any of those. For a small car on a budget I would look at Ford/Nissan/Toyota/VW.

I currently drive a 2007 Polo. I do about 15,000km a year, and have it serviced once a year. Now done 115,000 km, and only ever had replacement consumables at service. I had the timing belts done at 90k, and earlier this year I had to put a new bulb in one of the rear indicators. Without a doubt the most reliable car I have ever had, and the boot is bigger than my wife's X-Type.

To this I would add a similar question. I am about to buy a boring dad-mobile (year old estate car) and wondered what m'learned colleagues would suggest.

I've looked at Mondeo, Insignia, Passat, Audi A4 etc and come to the conclusion they're all pretty similar to my untutored eye and that you seem to pay a premium for a German makers badge, which I'd rather not do.

What would people out there suggest?

To this I would add a similar question. I am about to buy a boring dad-mobile (year old estate car) and wondered what m'learned colleagues would suggest.

I've looked at Mondeo, Insignia, Passat, Audi A4 etc and come to the conclusion they're all pretty similar to my untutored eye and that you seem to pay a premium for a German makers badge, which I'd rather not do.

Audi A4 or BMW 320 mate, they do cost a bit more but they are worth every penny. Plus far less things go wrong with them. I brought my first BMW 6 months ago and its a pleasure to drive and feels really well made, had no problems with it all so far. Compare that to my car before which was a Saab, £2k cheaper to buy but cost me £3k in repairs over 18 months.

Audi A4 or BMW 320 mate, they do cost a bit more but they are worth every penny. Plus far less things go wrong with them. I brought my first BMW 6 months ago and its a pleasure to drive and feels really well made, had no problems with it all so far. Compare that to my car before which was a Saab, £2k cheaper to buy but cost me £3k in repairs over 18 months.

'Kin 'ell, My Saab 93 Vector TDI Estate has cost me around £300 plus a few bulbs in the years I've had it!

Saying that I'm eyeing up 320d Estates now.

Octavia

'Kin 'ell, My Saab 93 Vector TDI Estate has cost me around £300 plus a few bulbs in the years I've had it!

Saying that I'm eyeing up 320d Estates now.

I had the saloon version, cylinder went twice, alternator, cam belt, brakes, fly wheel, got to the stage where it was one thing after another. Got a 320d saloon now and its simply a different level of car.

Thanks chaps. Nice array of views. I'm too tight to buy new, so am thinking 12 months old - let someone else eat the lion's share of depreciation.

It looks like I can get as good a price as anywhere from hertz car sales knocking out their ex hire cars. What's the thinking there?

Thanks chaps. Nice array of views. I'm too tight to buy new, so am thinking 12 months old - let someone else eat the lion's share of depreciation.

It looks like I can get as good a price as anywhere from hertz car sales knocking out their ex hire cars. What's the thinking there?

Phooey to all that!

Buy one of these!

BLXjwxFCQAEFX7z.jpg:large

Get a 3 year old one if you are worried about depreciation. Car giant are worth a look, they buy up a lot of ex lease and comapny cars and seem to be well priced and have been well looked after.