Milton Terrace Legend 'Dougal'

TijuanaTim

Bootsie was around for sure in those days, he kinda moved in different circles though. Bootsie's closest mate was Killer (not kidding you younger posters) Calloway. There was a lot from over the Wimpson area. John (Dougal) was more of a renegade, he his own little crowd of rogues that looked like they'd be more at home at a Sabbath concert. Big, long-haired and older than most of us. Intimidating looking like a Viking raiding party....been reminded he lived over by Fleming Park. Seriously, does anyone know his status?

Very good spot on about Wimpson area - outed after all these years - pretty easy to spot by the old bill in those days - most of us had hair onto shoulders and taches or beards before it became fashionable - Concorde Club at the Basset pub on a Monday - Ordnance Survey club in London Road - thrown out of all of them after raids - great place to be Southampton in the late 60s early 70s - still is of course. That is Dougal on the left but I have not seen him for over thirty years when I lost to him at darts at the Maybush Pub. Great bloke

Bootsie jumped ( on his own ) over the segregation fence at Brighton once and they all stepped back a yard or two , a lot is now vague from those day's but that incident sticks in my mind he's was fearless and mad ....

The last time I saw John (Dougal) was in the Saints Supporters Club back in the early 80s with Malc on Sunday lunch times when they had the top less Go Go dancers there and Ronnie (Bootsie) I see him from time to time and like a good few of us older lads he has put a few pounds on. Talking of Wimpson there used to be few lads that could look after themselves that used to drink in the Bricklayers Arms, The Maybush and the Royal Oak all in Wimpson Lane, Brickies is still open (just about) but the Oak is now a Tesco and Fish & Chip shop and the Bush is closed and I think it is going to be part of the OS site redevelopment.

I dont have a clue how he did it, you know the **** racer he used to have? God knows just was there one Saturday afternoon by the little bookies in the Milton, legend John how old must he be now?

John Hopkins is alive and well and in his 70s I would think.

Soul cellar mrk 3 ...

Something to keep us olduns going who are on statins and b/blockers and when we first stated going to football Saints played in Red & White striped shirts with no badge on.

Edited by Toomer

Something to keep us olduns going who are on statins and b/blockers and when we first stated going to football Saints played in Red & White striped shirts with no badge on.

kicked off at 3pm Saturday or 7.30 Weds, even Boxing Day AND Easter Monday was 3pm.

No internet or mobile phones, just face to face talking

kicked off at 3pm Saturday or 7.30 Weds, even Boxing Day AND Easter Monday was 3pm.

No internet or mobile phones, just face to face talking

The only communication I get from the grand kids is by text, did they not teach them the art of conversation at school, say us talking to our cyber mates on a football fans forum.

Charlie Boyd

Charlie crept up behind one of my best mates a real old thug called Joelly at Netly Central on a darts night a few years back and said 'guess who?', Colin said he hadn't seen Charlie since the old Haymarket (also with topless barmaids) back in about 71. Seem to remember Boyd was mates with Mick Stiles...who disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Tim, I've enjoyed reading your recollections about the old days and the old faces, a few of whom I used to run with. I know our memories fade over time, but I don't remember you from the Warrens, Wagon, Lord Louis, or Haymarket, where did you used to drink before the games? But I do remember you when you worked in Squires.

Charlie crept up behind one of my best mates a real old thug called Joelly at Netly Central on a darts night a few years back and said 'guess who?', Colin said he hadn't seen Charlie since the old Haymarket (also with topless barmaids) back in about 71. Seem to remember Boyd was mates with Mick Stiles...who disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Another one that has disappeared off the face of the Earth is Paul (Fatty) Brant, someone did tell me he left the country for some reason or another.

Have not posted in ages..A few names or faces I recall from those days...Vinney, Ossie, Dave Greet, Steve Graves, Snowy, Pat Lovelock, Ally McCloud, ? Dobson who went inside for a nasty crime to name a just few..

Have not posted in ages..A few names or faces I recall from those days...Vinney, Ossie, Dave Greet, Steve Graves, Snowy, Pat Lovelock, Ally McCloud, ? Dobson who went inside for a nasty crime to name a just few..

Used to go to school with Pat Lovelock.

Had a bit of a chat with dougal and he wrote this...

I suspect most of the stories are exaggerated over time...as for people not seeing me, I ain't gone anywhere! still live in the same house with the same phone number. Always listen to Saints on Radio Solent, but must say haven't been to a game for years. The seating thing put me off, used to like going for as few pints & just turning up with my mates, standing with the same people each week. Expensive too now!!

He is happy for people to get in touch , anyone who wants to , e mail me soton67@hotmail.com

Tim, I've enjoyed reading your recollections about the old days and the old faces, a few of whom I used to run with. I know our memories fade over time, but I don't remember you from the Warrens, Wagon, Lord Louis, or Haymarket, where did you used to drink before the games? But I do remember you when you worked in Squires.

I do remember Tim working in Squires on a Saturday - a real trendy with his blond flowing locks and a digital watch which I bought off him

Blimey that sure looks like him.............. used to stand near him near the tunnel under the West Stand at the Dell when I was a mere lad.

I think the guy in the middle used to work at Fords? Don't recall his name even if I'm correct. A solid fella though. Dougall on the left as we look but time has taken his hair!

Bootsie jumped ( on his own ) over the segregation fence at Brighton once and they all stepped back a yard or two , a lot is now vague from those day's but that incident sticks in my mind he's was fearless and mad ....

I saw Lipsy (M. H.) do that at Brighton too but he grabbed a putlog (short scaffold pole) and frightened off the Brighton. Lipsy is still about but very calm, like most of us, still has Chelsea as his first love and he is on FB.

The story of the beheaded ref in Brazil makes this (and soul cellar) thread seem very tame. Fancy a trip to Brazil? In summary: Red card

Player wouldn't leave pitch

Ref stabs player - kills him

Incensed fans stab, behead and quarter ref

Head left on spike in centre circle

All new meaning to abusinggthe ref!!

Do you mean Chris Dodson the Chandlers Ford son of a vicar? If so he did his time, came out and then did it again!

I do remember Tim working in Squires on a Saturday - a real trendy with his blond flowing locks and a digital watch which I bought off him

You have a good memory sir, I started there 41 years ago last week and worked full time (not just Saturdays) until I started my apprenticeship, which as you know start in September. I worked there and Sergio on Saturdays through the summertime a couple of other years later also. By the time the Cup Final came I was long gone - so not guilty y'honour on the cream suits!!

I remember that watch too, when I was down at the pub in Swansea with Malc Lovejoy and others about three months ago, I coulda sworn you were still wearing it ;-)

Hello mate, how you doing? Hey you should know as you come from my manor. In the 70s if we finished work at lunch we'd use The Spinni', then the Scullards in town, sometimes the Louis, but that was normally after the game and before we went home. The Haymarket had lost it's relevance before I was old enough to be a regular though I had been in there many times (non-football related) with Glen Giles RIP and Colin Joel. We all went in the Warrens though I was never real regular. By the time the Wagon came to prevelance (80s) I was involved in Hants League football so not doing many games as the 70s as we played 42 games a season in Hants 1. Always went there before mid-week games and frequently on a Friday night. You are quite right about Squires as well, I missed almost a whole season as worked there full time from July 72 until the Aug 73 and had very few Saturdays off. It was a great laugh, the town was buzzing in those days, as a bonus I could get the whole day off to travel to away days. Did you use the Wagon/Warrens much? I ask because the only one for our patch that did was Gilo and Glen passed away a while back.

Yes ..It was Chris Dodson...idiot used to cut his face with a razor to look 'hard'

Dated Pat Lovelock for a short while...remember finishing with her and ending up

on the deck outside woollies after receiving a hard kick in the crown jewels !

Yes ..It was Chris Dodson...idiot used to cut his face with a razor to look 'hard'

Dated Pat Lovelock for a short while...remember finishing with her and ending up

on the deck outside woollies after receiving a hard kick in the crown jewels !

Yep that sounds like Pat, half the lads at school were scared of her.

Hello mate, how you doing? Hey you should know as you come from my manor. In the 70s if we finished work at lunch we'd use The Spinni', then the Scullards in town, sometimes the Louis, but that was normally after the game and before we went home. The Haymarket had lost it's relevance before I was old enough to be a regular though I had been in there many times (non-football related) with Glen Giles RIP and Colin Joel. We all went in the Warrens though I was never real regular. By the time the Wagon came to prevelance (80s) I was involved in Hants League football so not doing many games as the 70s as we played 42 games a season in Hants 1. Always went there before mid-week games and frequently on a Friday night. You are quite right about Squires as well, I missed almost a whole season as worked there full time from July 72 until the Aug 73 and had very few Saturdays off. It was a great laugh, the town was buzzing in those days, as a bonus I could get the whole day off to travel to away days. Did you use the Wagon/Warrens much? I ask because the only one for our patch that did was Gilo and Glen passed away a while back.

Hey Tim I'm ok cheers, although I live on your old manor now, I'm originally from Thornhill. I worked with Gilo for a couple of years and attended his funeral a while back and see his younger brother around LH quite often, such a shame about Gilo he was a great guy!

I was more of a Warrens user to be honest but did flit about between the the pubs mentioned, depending on who I saw first when I got off the bus!

Anyway mate, let me know by PM when you're over next and oh Ace says hello!

Slight correction i actually meant to say (( Lipsy )) -> Bootsie jumped ( on his own ) over the segregation fence at Brighton once and they all stepped back a yard or two , a lot is now vague from those day's but that incident sticks in my mind he's was fearless and mad ....

Slight correction i actually meant to say (( Lipsy )) -> Bootsie jumped ( on his own ) over the segregation fence at Brighton once and they all stepped back a yard or two , a lot is now vague from those day's but that incident sticks in my mind he's was fearless and mad ....

It was funny as when KC ran up the steps at UTD at Wembley in 76.

I might have asked this before ESB but what was Chris Dodson's second crime?

Another murder, I believe up in the Derby area.

The first one caused many a problem between town lads and Eastleigh boys which led to fights at the Top Rank etc. I think that those from Eastleigh who followed Saints

were accepted because of our support.

Incidentally, Dodson was prosecuted along with a guy called Ally Taylor for the murder of David Skeats, he didn't know Dodson had stabbed Skeats until he was arrested!

Taylor, when released was a totally different guy. he's learned his lesson, he hung out in Eastleigh for a year or so and then seemed to disappear off the face of the earth. I have not heard of him or seen him since about 74/5? He was a good buddy of Ian Jelley.

I have sent MH a friend request and invited him to The Soul Cellar on FB. As you say, memories do get tangled.