NFL Season 2013/14

Dr Who?

So next month the NFL starts again.

My team the 49ers I am hoping improve by one more step this season, as they did last season. Would be a great way to finish off at candlestick park.

Think they will struggle a little this time around though.

Bring it on.

As a Seahawks fan, it's uncharted territory starting the season as many pundits' favourite to win the Vince Lombardi Trophy :scared: Pleased with the business done in the closed season, and pre-season has been promising (but counts for very little) The loss of Percy Harvin for most (if not all) of the season is a blow, but I think we've got enough strength in depth to minimise the effects of that. D-fence looks even better than last year.

49ers will be contenders in the NFC, even with their injury woes. I expect there to be at least a couple of "surprise packages" who exceed expectations (maybe St Louis Rams, if Seahawks and/or 49ers fail to dominate in the NFC West) Pats can never be ruled out of the running, Ravens should be up there, Matt Ryan might finally live up to his potential and of course there's Peyton Manning and the Broncos who have most of the weapons they need.

I'll be interested to see how Matt Flynn does in Oakland - bit of an enigma, after becoming a high-profile free-agent signing for Seahawks last summer then losing out on the starting QB job to rookie Russell Wilson. Doesn't sound like he's hit the ground running at Oakland.

The "second-year" QBs will be interesting to watch - Wilson, Luck and RGIII - at least one of them is bound to have a disappointing season.

Also interested to see how ex-Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley does in the head coach job at Jacksonville - will be seeing them first-hand at the Wembley game against the 49ers :)

Should be a good season, looking forward to it.

Interesting season for the ravens -going to see the opener in Denver during the international break. Spent big tying Flacco down after his MVP performances in the playoffs. The contract won't kick in till later on which defers some tough questions but he's lost two of his favourite weapons -Boldin in a dumb trade to the 49ers and Pitta through a freak injury. Outside Torrey Smith, the front office is scrambling to patch together a receiving corp with (washed up) veterans and rookies who hardly inspire confidence and the Ravens have never had a strong record drafting WRs.

The D is a different story. It has been thoroughly overhauled -some people think that the likes of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are irreplaceable. They will be misses emotionally but their best days have been behind them for a while. Arguably the Raven's D is stronger with the addition of the likes of Dumervil, shrewd acquisitions like Smith and Canty and the return to fitness of Suggs and Williams. Think they will take many by surprise.

Think the usual suspects -the 49ers, Seahawks, Falcons, Texans- will be contenders. New England will stumble on some winning formula in what is a pi $$ easy division. Quite like what the Rams and Buccaneers are doing.

Iggles...as usual who knows how they'll do, if the keep Vick upright with a better performance from the O-Line than these last

couple of years perhaps they'll advance well into the play-offs. The new speedy offence looks good but the season is long and I'm not a fan of Nick Foles.

Hi WC, ... You are being very optimistic re finals! Most fans and Philly media come out about 7-9 at best, plenty think under this. OL is improved with Lane Johnson, but Peters and Herremans coming back off injuries is a worry. Vick is an unknown, he is looking a little like his old self as long as he stays on his feet, but if he falters then so do their chances. The problem is Defence, it really is a bit ropey and the presumed transition to 3-4 will leave round pegs in square holes and may need a year or so and some different personnel to sort it. The secondary, for example, is just plain awful so look for plenty of high scoring Eagles games this year. What none of us know yet is the Chip Kelly effect and that is crucial to the season. The Chippah is one out of the box and his mind goes places other coaches never venture to. He was spectacularly successful at Oregon with his hurry up offense and trick plays, but nobody knows if this will translate to the NFL. Chip is full of surprises so anything may be possible and he says he will fit a scheme to whatever personnel is available to him and opponents certainly won't know what to expect, but this is the big league not college ball so it's a step into the unknown. Just hang on to your hat and hope for the best!

Hi WC, ... You are being very optimistic re finals! Most fans and Philly media come out about 7-9 at best, plenty think under this. OL is improved with Lane Johnson, but Peters and Herremans coming back off injuries is a worry. Vick is an unknown, he is looking a little like his old self as long as he stays on his feet, but if he falters then so do their chances. The problem is Defence, it really is a bit ropey and the presumed transition to 3-4 will leave round pegs in square holes and may need a year or so and some different personnel to sort it. The secondary, for example, is just plain awful so look for plenty of high scoring Eagles games this year. What none of us know yet is the Chip Kelly effect and that is crucial to the season. The Chippah is one out of the box and his mind goes places other coaches never venture to. He was spectacularly successful at Oregon with his hurry up offense and trick plays, but nobody knows if this will translate to the NFL. Chip is full of surprises so anything may be possible and he says he will fit a scheme to whatever personnel is available to him and opponents certainly won't know what to expect, but this is the big league not college ball so it's a step into the unknown. Just hang on to your hat and hope for the best!

really 7 and 9, doubt that would win Kelly many friends. Expecting better myself but then I've just watched the 3 pre-season games. I'm hoping for the divisional round at least.

Interesting season for the ravens -going to see the opener in Denver during the international break.

Cool. Enjoy Denver - it's a great city. Though I hope you don't enjoy the game!

DEN have a few issues at the mo (not least, who the hell is their main RB?) but the passing game is looking evil. Easy-ish win for DEN v BAL. No 3 mile long hail Mary gertcha passes this time...

Due to the reasonable showings in their first two games, the Cleveland Browns are actually being given some respect. No one thinks they'll be great, but they might finish 8-8.

HOLY COW 8-8! That's amazing! They are traditionally the dregs of the league. I'd be delighted to finish that well.

Wheedon seems to grasp the offense a little more, Richardson will not have broken ribs again this season, Josh Gordon seems like a decent receiver, and their defense is looking okay, too. Barkevious Mingo (what a name) had a lung injury so we're not really sure where he stands, but if he can play even half the season he should be a good contributor.

Anyway, I'm excited for the Brownies. Stupidly, I know, but it's fun nonetheless.

really 7 and 9, doubt that would win Kelly many friends. Expecting better myself but then I've just watched the 3 pre-season games. I'm hoping for the divisional round at least.

Don't worry about Chip, he is on a five year contract and expectations are that he will see it out. They know it will not be a quick fix and Chip will be given time. NFCE is a weak division and pretty much all pundits have the Eagles bottom of it, at least on purely playing resources. That's where the Chip effect comes in as no one knows what he can achieve with this group of players with innovation alone. Maybe a lot and it certainly worked for him at Oregon. I think Iggles fans are wary but excited just in case this all comes together from day one. In reality it will probably take longer and another good draft and a few trades before it really clicks in, but then it could be really something!

Don't worry about Chip, he is on a five year contract and expectations are that he will see it out. They know it will not be a quick fix and Chip will be given time. NFCE is a weak division and pretty much all pundits have the Eagles bottom of it, at least on purely playing resources. That's where the Chip effect comes in as no one knows what he can achieve with this group of players with innovation alone. Maybe a lot and it certainly worked for him at Oregon. I think Iggles fans are wary but excited just in case this all comes together from day one. In reality it will probably take longer and another good draft and a few trades before it really clicks in, but then it could be really something!

Eagles below the Cowboys...won't happen. However Barkley looks pretty ropey for the time being but as he's just a third string quarterback there's not too much cause for concern there. Think we'll go about 10 and 6 myself.

Eagles below the Cowboys...won't happen. However Barkley looks pretty ropey for the time being but as he's just a third string quarterback there's not too much cause for concern there. Think we'll go about 10 and 6 myself.

Chip can make himself an instant hero if he can beat out the hated Cowgirls! You could well be right on that one. Foles was poor against Jets yesterday, but was only basically a reserves match and he didn't get much protection. Many of those guys won't be on the roster come Saturday when squads must be reduced to 53 for the season. Ins and outs can still happen but 53 must be maintained, so expect Kelly and Roseman to trawl the cutdowns from other teams for possible signings. Cornerback and particularly safety are in desperate need of an upgrade if they can find anyone suitable. Then it's on to Washington for the opener, a tough start especially as RG111 says he will be playing. This is first chance to really see what Chip has to offer as exhibition games were deliberately vanilla to keep opponents guessing. At this stage Kelly is a 'mystery man' and much interest around the NFL to see what he's got in his locker. Anyway GO EAGLES, the Super Bowl awaits ....

Chip can make himself an instant hero if he can beat out the hated Cowgirls! You could well be right on that one. Foles was poor against Jets yesterday, but was only basically a reserves match and he didn't get much protection. Many of those guys won't be on the roster come Saturday when squads must be reduced to 53 for the season. Ins and outs can still happen but 53 must be maintained, so expect Kelly and Roseman to trawl the cutdowns from other teams for possible signings. Cornerback and particularly safety are in desperate need of an upgrade if they can find anyone suitable. Then it's on to Washington for the opener, a tough start especially as RG111 says he will be playing. This is first chance to really see what Chip has to offer as exhibition games were deliberately vanilla to keep opponents guessing. At this stage Kelly is a 'mystery man' and much interest around the NFL to see what he's got in his locker. Anyway GO EAGLES, the Super Bowl awaits ....

Good win for the Iggles last night, pity Vick got a bit banged up though, could have thrown for 400. Still impressive running game

was a decent change from the Reid epoque.

Good win for the Iggles last night, pity Vick got a bit banged up though, could have thrown for 400. Still impressive running game

was a decent change from the Reid epoque.

Wow, Chip was the real deal! Iggles simply blew them away in first half and had more points than Skins had plays amongst many other crazy stats. Chip pulled the shutters down when 33-7 in the third to give players a rest from his warp speed offense, but it had been everything advertised and something not seen to that extent probably ever in the NFL. Spectacular game from Shady McCoy and also Vick. MV is tough and is used to taking hits (states the obvious) so would expect him to line up next week. If you check the media and radio stations the whole city of Philadelphia is euphoric and this one win seems to have excised the ghost of Andy Reid and put fun back into football for the first time in nearly a decade. Nice line from Les Bowen of the 'Daily News' ... "Chip Kelly introduced himself to the NFL today, sort of in the same way that Cortez introduced himself to the Aztecs". Next week it's the visiting Chargers and hopefully more of the same!

• 2 weeks later...

It was just as arbitrary as when I started following Southampton FC in '92 because of Le Tiss, but I chose Dolphins as my team when they introduced the more regular use of wildcat plays with Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. Apart from that, I have come to experience that there isn't much glory in following the Dolphins ;)

We will win tonight, Chip will bring that fast pace no huddle offence back tonight.

Can tell you now i love Philadelphia the city and the sports teams (massive sixers phillies and eagles fan) the fans wont accept anything below 0.500.

We forced Reid out with constant boos and fire andy chants, hes now proving hes a quality coach still taking kanas to 4-0, this team needs reshaping in defence, bar Demeco Ryans and Jason Peters, offence is ok Mccoy Jackson Celek Racist boy and Maclin are all quality.

We will win tonight, Chip will bring that fast pace no huddle offence back tonight.

Can tell you now i love Philadelphia the city and the sports teams (massive sixers phillies and eagles fan) the fans wont accept anything below 0.500.

We forced Reid out with constant boos and fire andy chants, hes now proving hes a quality coach still taking kanas to 4-0, this team needs reshaping in defence, bar Demeco Ryans and Jason Peters, offence is ok Mccoy Jackson Celek Racist boy and Maclin are all quality.

then again maybe not, still as the NFC East is composed of 4 serial losers all is to play for. Beat the Giants and the Cowboys and we'll probably win the division. See what Saint76er meant about the D now though, abysmal.

Glad to see you're still with us sammysaint. If you think this is bad just wait for the sixers to start, but at least they will be tanking for a shot at Wiggins (no not Bradley!).

Iggles D is probably beyond redemption this season, only hope is that offense can outscore opponents. Shady and Djax are pro bowl quality, but MV7 has to stay upright and provide the ammo. Sadly, Jeremy Maclin did his ACL pre season and is out for the year and is being missed. Jason Peters is, I think, playing with a broken hand which doesn't help. Brent Celek was a quality TE but seems to have become decidedly average

this season and IMO Riley Cooper (he's not really racist, he's just a naughty boy) is not an NFL quality receiver. If he were he'd actually catch the ball occasionally and God knows Vick throws it to him enough.

Although it looked bad it's worth noting that possibly no one will win at Mile High this year as Denver are very good and Peyton Manning is in imperious form. Eagles, I thought, played pretty well in the first half but then ran seriously out of steam. It happens a lot in Denver to coast dwellers as the thin air catches up with you and PM demoralises you!

Finally, Andy Reid has a 2-14 team from last year currently sitting at four and 0 ... you're sh!tting me!!! :scared:

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, didn't expect the Giants to be 0 and 6 at this stage, Eagles lead the division at 2 and 3. Must be a while since that happened in the NFC East.

Yeah, it's a sh!te division this year alright and 8-8 will probably win it and 7-9 may be enough. Iggles play the winless Bucs on sunday and could well be 3-3 afterwards. Tampa Bay are shambolic at present and Glennon starts only his second game at QB, he doesn't look up to it yet and Eagles D may have a day out for once. The previous QB left in dubious circumstances with rumours of his own coach or FO leaking info about him to the authorities. Coach seems at war with his own players and amongst other things they are rumoured to be tipping off their opponents in match about dangerous plays being called which may cause injury. Sounds a complete mess down in the Florida sunshine, so just hope the Eagles don't stuff it up and lose what they should win. Vick is likely out with his hammy and Foles starting. Foles should be fine as he leads drives well with level headed intelligence and doesn't seem to panic, however Eagles do lose a bit on the run plays as he doesn't have Vick's mobility and this impacts on Shady McCoy's plays and he is their best weapon. Should still win though .... Fly Eagles, Fly!

Yeah, it's a sh!te division this year alright and 8-8 will probably win it and 7-9 may be enough. Iggles play the winless Bucs on sunday and could well be 3-3 afterwards. Tampa Bay are shambolic at present and Glennon starts only his second game at QB, he doesn't look up to it yet and Eagles D may have a day out for once. The previous QB left in dubious circumstances with rumours of his own coach or FO leaking info about him to the authorities. Coach seems at war with his own players and amongst other things they are rumoured to be tipping off their opponents in match about dangerous plays being called which may cause injury. Sounds a complete mess down in the Florida sunshine, so just hope the Eagles don't stuff it up and lose what they should win. Vick is likely out with his hammy and Foles starting. Foles should be fine as he leads drives well with level headed intelligence and doesn't seem to panic, however Eagles do lose a bit on the run plays as he doesn't have Vick's mobility and this impacts on Shady McCoy's plays and he is their best weapon. Should still win though .... Fly Eagles, Fly!

Without MV7s scrambles early in the game last Sunday we might well have been in the crapper. Don't rate Foles really but as it's the Bucs it's as well to give Vick a break provided he's suited up ready if Foles starts trying to play out of his league.

Without MV7s scrambles early in the game last Sunday we might well have been in the crapper. Don't rate Foles really but as it's the Bucs it's as well to give Vick a break provided he's suited up ready if Foles starts trying to play out of his league.

Matt Barkley will dress for this one if Vick can't play (if he can, he'll start). Barkley was a gun college QB, but came into the season with a damaged shoulder that affected his throwing strength. Even he is not sure how it will hold up under match conditions, so best that Foles takes charge and doesn't need replacing. At training all QB's are permanently red shirted (no hitting) so you need to see them under match conditions to be sure they are over any injury. Foles will be fine though, he may not be mobile but otherwise has good QB instincts and is a good NFL backup. May not have to worry about the QB situation though, as bizarrely the game could conceivably be cancelled due to an outbreak of MRSA (a nasty flesh eating Staph infection) in the Tampa area. Several Bucs players have gone down with it and authorities are to report on the status of the stadium facilities before approving the game to proceed. However, in a clash of players H+S against TV rights and Vegas bookies ... well, I think we all know what the outcome of that will be!

Well, MRSA MRSA me, the MRSA-less Eagles have won the Bacteria Bowl on the back of a fine display from backup QB Nick Foles. This leaves the Chipper with an interesting problem if Mike Vick is fit to resume next week, but just maybe the future was on display in TB yesterday. With improved play from both the O+D lines this Eagles team is starting to pick up the pace quite nicely, although they will play better teams than the hapless Bucs, and Romo and his Cowgirls are up next ...

Cowgirls in one of 2 division title games ? Will be ugly, Vick if he's 100%.

Vick sits for this one and Foles starts, according to MV7 himself. If Foles out duels Romo then we might be looking at a changing of the guard at QB. However, the Eagles O+D lines will need to come to the party to give Foles the support he needs, but these two high scoring teams may turn it into a pseudo basketball game ... in which case, may the Eagles get the last possession!

Vick sits for this one and Foles starts, according to MV7 himself. If Foles out duels Romo then we might be looking at a changing of the guard at QB. However, the Eagles O+D lines will need to come to the party to give Foles the support he needs, but these two high scoring teams may turn it into a pseudo basketball game ... in which case, may the Eagles get the last possession!

Foles looks a bit wimpish for a game like this, fortunately the Girls are undisciplined. Might still need MV7 yet, even on one leg he'd do better than Foles. 8 of 18 and 43 yds, those are Tebowsian statistics.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Foles looks a bit wimpish for a game like this, fortunately the Girls are undisciplined. Might still need MV7 yet, even on one leg he'd do better than Foles. 8 of 18 and 43 yds, those are Tebowsian statistics.

After that little debacle they may need you at QB, Window Cleaner! The newly named Nick Folds has a concussion (apparently) and Vick is still struggling, so Barkley (gimpy shoulder and all) may be it next week. I think James Casey (TE) is the emergency QB, so if you want to hang around the Linc with your boots WC, well who knows? Seriously, things will have to improve next week, although it is only the dreadful G-Men coming to town. Defense was okay and continue to improve but the somewhat vaunted offense went into meltdown along with Foles. Fortunately, next years draft is stacked with quality QBs and the Iggles may be heading for an early pick.

After that little debacle they may need you at QB, Window Cleaner! The newly named Nick Folds has a concussion (apparently) and Vick is still struggling, so Barkley (gimpy shoulder and all) may be it next week. I think James Casey (TE) is the emergency QB, so if you want to hang around the Linc with your boots WC, well who knows? Seriously, things will have to improve next week, although it is only the dreadful G-Men coming to town. Defense was okay and continue to improve but the somewhat vaunted offense went into meltdown along with Foles. Fortunately, next years draft is stacked with quality QBs and the Iggles may be heading for an early pick.

Every draft is stacked with quality college QBs but few actually make the grade, why I'd even go as far as saying that neither Stafford or Bradford have really made it so far, they have their days and others when they're totally rubbish.Luck is a good QB

but that apart nothing has been exceptional for a couple of years now.The same old cocks are ruling the roost and endless Heismann winners and runners up are falling by the wayside. Back to last night's game: Having watched Foles closely against the Bucs I kinda knew he'd be no good against the Boys, he's a wimp and it takes a man to run the Eagles offence against a team that comes looking for you. There's no secret as to why MV7 is often injured, he plays a man's game because that's what's required and he takes the hits and runs where no other quarterback would. If he was even 70% Chip should have asked him to play yesterday because the Boys-Eagles games will decide the division.

Every draft is stacked with quality college QBs but few actually make the grade, why I'd even go as far as saying that neither Stafford or Bradford have really made it so far, they have their days and others when they're totally rubbish.Luck is a good QB

but that apart nothing has been exceptional for a couple of years now.The same old cocks are ruling the roost and endless Heismann winners and runners up are falling by the wayside. Back to last night's game: Having watched Foles closely against the Bucs I kinda knew he'd be no good against the Boys, he's a wimp and it takes a man to run the Eagles offence against a team that comes looking for you. There's no secret as to why MV7 is often injured, he plays a man's game because that's what's required and he takes the hits and runs where no other quarterback would. If he was even 70% Chip should have asked him to play yesterday because the Boys-Eagles games will decide the division.

Yes, but next year it's all about Johnny Football, can't you feel the hype already? However, Teddy Bridgewater is probably better, but the Eagles will want Marcus Mariotta from Oregon if they can get him. MM is a quality QB who ran Chip Kelly's offense the last year or two and is thus a perfect fit to run it in Philly. Vick gets hit because he runs too much and won't slide, but it's sure exciting to watch though! Foles simply doesn't have Vick's legs so is strictly a pocket passer, which is fine if you're Tom Brady but Foles is not quite at that level yet (or anywhere near it!). The word today is that MV7 is expected to start this week although he may not yet be 100%, but as you say Kelly will want him out there if humanly possible. It was indeed a missed opportunity last week to give the advantage to a hated rival, but with another divisional rival up next it is imperative they put away the G-Men (who won on Monday) for the second time in a few weeks.

Looks like the Eagles season is toast again then, in fact everything is toast in Philly.

You sure got that right. Every single one of the Philly major league teams is a complete mess right now. You should hear the angst on sports radio, the natives are not happy and in keeping with the city's historic traditions revolution is in the air. At least the Sixers have a plan .. tank for Wiggins! Having just about run out of QBs (and possibly ideas) it's maybe time for the Eagles to tank (ie just keep doing what they're doing) for Marcus Mariota.

So what do y'all think of the Jonathan Martin Dolphins bullying stuff? Pretty shocked by it, I know we get banter etc in football but not to this extent? Big difference between physical/mental abuse and what our lot get up to. Can't be good for team building. American way?

The Texans lost again last night. This after being 24-6 up towards the end of the 3rd quarter. Our kicker had a tough time too.

Hope our head coach has a speedy recovery too

don't quite know what's happened to the Texans this season. Last year they looked a good team and Schaub was on fire, now I think he's benched and everything has gone tits up.

don't quite know what's happened to the Texans this season. Last year they looked a good team and Schaub was on fire, now I think he's benched and everything has gone tits up.

Yeah it's hard to pinpoint where the problem lays. Currently the third choice QB is playing (not too badly) but everyone was expecting the Texans to do well and it has been the opposide. Shame.

So, things are looking up for us Eagles followers. A couple of wins over not too good looking teams have put us back into contention in the NFC East, if only Foles hadn't been such a wimp against Dallas we'd have it wrapped up by now. Still a win over the Boys next time should do the trick .

Hard to grade the Iggles just now as they are competently getting the job done but against substandard opponents. Foles tied the all time NFL record for throwing TD passes against Oakland, but the Raiders were truly dreadful and yesterday's win at Lambeau would normally be in the 'Amazeballs' category, except that Aaron Rogers was out for the Pack and his backup lasted ten minutes and they had to play a QB from their practice squad. Next up is the politically incorrect Redskins at the Linc, a game the Eagles should win bar the fact that they haven't won at home for over a year! No one can explain why they can't win at home but, I think, it is five wins away this season and four losses at Lincoln Financial Field. The mood of the crowd will play a big part in this game and the angst will be palpable if things go badly against a hated local rival. On the other hand a third straight win will bring a celebratory mode to a city in desperate need of sporting excellence, and may anoint Foles as the starting QB for the rest of this season and possibly beyond.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Glad to see you're still with us sammysaint. If you think this is bad just wait for the sixers to start, but at least they will be tanking for a shot at Wiggins (no not Bradley!).

Iggles D is probably beyond redemption this season, only hope is that offense can outscore opponents. Shady and Djax are pro bowl quality, but MV7 has to stay upright and provide the ammo. Sadly, Jeremy Maclin did his ACL pre season and is out for the year and is being missed. Jason Peters is, I think, playing with a broken hand which doesn't help. Brent Celek was a quality TE but seems to have become decidedly average

this season and IMO Riley Cooper (he's not really racist, he's just a naughty boy) is not an NFL quality receiver. If he were he'd actually catch the ball occasionally and God knows Vick throws it to him enough.

Although it looked bad it's worth noting that possibly no one will win at Mile High this year as Denver are very good and Peyton Manning is in imperious form. Eagles, I thought, played pretty well in the first half but then ran seriously out of steam. It happens a lot in Denver to coast dwellers as the thin air catches up with you and PM demoralises you!

Finally, Andy Reid has a 2-14 team from last year currently sitting at four and 0 ... you're sh!tting me!!! :scared:

Only just seen this Saint 76er, if your a massive sixers fan join sixers 24-7 on facebook full of good sixers talk while were tanking.

Back to NFL, how wrong about Cooper hes been amazing this season ;) but 100% on the broncs there going to the super bowl.

I went to the Texans game this weekend to witness us fall to the (then) 1-9 Jaguars beat us. Our season has collapsed big time! Only positive now is we are looking to get first draft pick! Need a new QB and OL badly

OUCH MV7 will be free this summer lol, i actually like him i think we should use him last 10 mins of Q4 in games where we clearly will get points from running, make them think Vick is gonna run it and throw a good pass to Desean.