Endurance

Glasgow_Saint

No.

The Dr thinks different ;)

Working in sports I get people who are overtrained and have pushed their bodies to hard for a long period of time, this is what I think has happened to the players too. When you are overtrained, your concentration drops, you pick up injuries and have low energy levels. With our high pressing game and small squad it means we cant rotate and the players have to play many games, and have little time to recover. Older players and player who play almost every game i.e Lambert, Schneiderlin, Fonte and Rodriquez must be absolutely knacked by this stage and would probably struggle till the end of the season, unless they get a break.

Under Adkins the players were fit, under MP the players were fitter at the start of the season. But with Adkins history in physiotherapy, I believe he had a greater knowledge of sports periodization and knew when the players needed a rest. Now since MP has been incharge I believe most of the backroom staff has been replaced, and if you dont have a great knowledge of strength and conditioning, then how do you know when someone is a good S&C coach?

And based on the training photos the club upload to their Facebook account, I cant say I am that impressed with the strength training the players do.

Can't see why not, it's only for 90 mins once or occasionally twice a week.

We probably can - but at a cost.

I believe that one of the reasons that players are fluffing scoring opportunities is because of the constant attacking pressure against well-drilled packed defences.

We do not have a large enough squad of premiership quality players off the bench to be able to sustain this. Players are noticeably becoming more tired as matches proceed.

We need more variety. We need to be able to rotate players, but we do not yet have enough quality players to do this successfully.

We probably can - but at a cost.

I believe that one of the reasons that players are fluffing scoring opportunities is because of the constant attacking pressure against well-drilled packed defences.

We do not have a large enough squad of premiership quality players off the bench to be able to sustain this. Players are noticeably becoming more tired as matches proceed.

We need more variety. We need to be able to rotate players, but we do not yet have enough quality players to do this successfully.

I’ve said it before, but ill say it again. Mopo seems to have one way of playing.... high press / high intensity. It was clear to us (me at least) that this was not sustainable for a full season..... As I said earlier in this thread - teams like Barcelona can do it as they have big quality squads allowing rotation - we on the other hand clearly don’t.

As I have said before - if it was that easy every club would do it.

Happened last season and its happened this season, players are simply exhausted.

If I could see it – why couldn’t mopo?

The Dr thinks different ;)

Its interesting what you tend to believe on the internet.

Dr Kucho, you believe because it fits your view, Facebook posts about 8th place finishes you believe because it fits your view.

Who is Dr Kucho, what does he know, what experience does he have that is relevant to saints playing / training methods etc.

The common theme seems to suggest that you believe any old shyte on the net when it suits and then use it to ram your points endlessly down our throats.

I'm no expert on strength and conditioning training but someone who suggests they are less than impressed on what he has seen of video clips / photos uploaded on the net would suggest he is no expert.

Surely with the level of performance analysis in both training and game environments using the GPS monitors etc. would quite quickly highlight and drop in performance due to overtraining. At this point wouldn't the coaching experts within the team then based on this information make changes to training schedules accordingly. This isn't sunday league footy with a midweek kick around as a training session.

Its interesting what you tend to believe on the internet.

Dr Kucho, you believe because it fits your view, Facebook posts about 8th place finishes you believe because it fits your view.

Who is Dr Kucho, what does he know, what experience does he have that is relevant to saints playing / training methods etc.

The common theme seems to suggest that you believe any old shyte on the net when it suits and then use it to ram your points endlessly down our throats.

I'm no expert on strength and conditioning training but someone who suggests they are less than impressed on what he has seen of video clips / photos uploaded on the net would suggest he is no expert.

Surely with the level of performance analysis in both training and game environments using the GPS monitors etc. would quite quickly highlight and drop in performance due to overtraining. At this point wouldn't the coaching experts within the team then based on this information make changes to training schedules accordingly. This isn't sunday league footy with a midweek kick around as a training session.

Dr Kucho is well a Dr so more qualified than most on here?

I had posted earlier in the season that our style was not sustanable - our drop in form and clear signs of player fatigue would suggest I am right?

Did I hit the nail on the head back in October?

No I did....

Squad game - but will be tough to keep this high intensity game going. Would expect the majority of our key players to be rested in the cup - and kept for the league games. If we're tiring come January, you may see a few more additions too to bulk the squad up a bit more. We do have options but the forward 6 + full backs have to be so fit to play in this system.

Apart from we didn't bring anyone in in January which has hurt us, and our only mobile striker is out on loan winning Championships!

Dr Kucho is well a Dr so more qualified than most on here?

I had posted earlier in the season that our style was not sustanable - our drop in form and clear signs of player fatigue would suggest I am right?

I cant say I've heard of Dr Kucho or seen his qualifications so who is he? He may well be more qualified than most on here but is he more qualified that the saints coaching / medical / fitness teams?

what are these clear signs of player fatigue that are directly related to our drop in results? what evidence have you got to other than your unqualified opinion and that of someone else on an internet of questionable experience have that the training methods are not sustainable? im not sure any kind of expert would try and bolster his point on a internet forum by highlighting their observations from uploaded photos. Surely that would be like critiquing lamberts performance from the saintsweb although it seems many do.

I thought that in other threads you have pointed to the fact that MP was overrated and responsible for the drop in form? Is MP responsible for the employment of the fitness / strengthening and conditioning teams or is it Les Reed? Have these teams made clear that his double training sessions are unsustainable over 38 games? Has he ignored them?

Would it not seem more realistic that a whole range of factors are directly and indirectly affecting our performance. the question is would a change in management (MP) make a significant difference although some people seem to think he is treading water until the end of the season and then leaves. I'm not really sure how anyone can judge that from watching a game and trying to interpret body language.

I cant say I've heard of Dr Kucho or seen his qualifications so who is he? He may well be more qualified than most on here but is he more qualified that the saints coaching / medical / fitness teams?

what are these clear signs of player fatigue that are directly related to our drop in results? what evidence have you got to other than your unqualified opinion and that of someone else on an internet of questionable experience have that the training methods are not sustainable? im not sure any kind of expert would try and bolster his point on a internet forum by highlighting their observations from uploaded photos. Surely that would be like critiquing lamberts performance from the saintsweb although it seems many do.

I thought that in other threads you have pointed to the fact that MP was overrated and responsible for the drop in form? Is MP responsible for the employment of the fitness / strengthening and conditioning teams or is it Les Reed? Have these teams made clear that his double training sessions are unsustainable over 38 games? Has he ignored them?

Would it not seem more realistic that a whole range of factors are directly and indirectly affecting our performance. the question is would a change in management (MP) make a significant difference although some people seem to think he is treading water until the end of the season and then leaves. I'm not really sure how anyone can judge that from watching a game and trying to interpret body language.

Mopo brought his own team of "experts" with him and its him and his team/experts that have decided/insisted upon our high press/ intensity style + double training. He cant get the credit when things are going well (1st 11 games) and then blame Les Reed (what!?) when things are going bad (last 18 )

We knew the style of play mopo would adapt before he'd taken a days training as we saw the way Espanyol played previously. It was a mistake to enforce this style of play on such a small squad. He tried it at Espanyol - I didn’t work (Squad too small) he's now tried it here and its not worked with consistency (Squad too small) to persevere regardless shows a lack of tactical flexibility and an inability to get the best from the squad you manage.

If I was able to predict the loss of form and player fatigue in October – why couldn’t mopo?

Mopo brought his own team of "experts" with him and its him and his team/experts that have decided/insisted upon our high press/ intensity style + double training. He cant get the credit when things are going well (1st 11 games) and then blame Les Reed (what!?) when things are going bad (last 18 )

We knew the style of play mopo would adapt before he'd taken a days training as we saw the way Espanyol played previously. It was a mistake to enforce this style of play on such a small squad. He tried it at Espanyol - I didn’t work (Squad too small) he's now tried it here and its not worked with consistency (Squad too small) to persevere regardless shows a lack of tactical flexibility and an inability to get the best from the squad you manage.

If I was able to predict the loss of form and player fatigue in October – why couldn’t mopo?

His team of experts are the football coaches around him surely? Who are the doctors physios, fitness / strength and conditioning staff, and all other associated staff members that have roles to play in the physical performance of the team. Who says MP employed them or is someone else responsible for that side of things.

Where are you getting the evidence of player fatigue from other than pure guesswork? I agree Rickie is looking tired but who knows whether it is fatigue or injury? I would also suggest that losing Osvaldo hasn't helped taking the pressure of him to physically perform every game ? but to directly attribute that as a reason why we did well for 11 games and then it went pair shaped.

To suggest you predicted anything is ridiculous. Its all about your opinion that our performances have dropped because of fatigue due to overtraining and playing a high intensive game. You have yet to show me anything that backs this opinion up other than the marvellous Dr Kucho whoever he is. So please stop the waffling about MP's lack of tactical flexibility & inability to get the best from his squad and give me some evidence that our players are suffering from player fatigue.

or as I suspect this is just your opinion that can be conveniently used to add weight to your Anti-MP agenda?

The theory is that players are less tired when in possession and more tired when chasing after the ball. If this is so, then our high possession stats suggest that we'll have greater endurance than we might have had were we chasing round after the ball for 65% of a match. If the players are tired at the end of the season this may be more because we cannot, without increasing the risk of losing more games, rotate the squad as much as teams drawn from stronger squads, as well as to any number of variables.

His team of experts are the football coaches around him surely? Who are the doctors physios, fitness / strength and conditioning staff, and all other associated staff members that have roles to play in the physical performance of the team. Who says MP employed them or is someone else responsible for that side of things.

Where are you getting the evidence of player fatigue from other than pure guesswork? I agree Rickie is looking tired but who knows whether it is fatigue or injury? I would also suggest that losing Osvaldo hasn't helped taking the pressure of him to physically perform every game ? but to directly attribute that as a reason why we did well for 11 games and then it went pair shaped.

To suggest you predicted anything is ridiculous. Its all about your opinion that our performances have dropped because of fatigue due to overtraining and playing a high intensive game. You have yet to show me anything that backs this opinion up other than the marvellous Dr Kucho whoever he is. So please stop the waffling about MP's lack of tactical flexibility & inability to get the best from his squad and give me some evidence that our players are suffering from player fatigue.

or as I suspect this is just your opinion that can be conveniently used to add weight to your Anti-MP agenda?

Evidence? How about the results?

First 11 games

W6 D4 L1

Goals against 5

Last 17

W4 D5 L8

Goals against 30

Out of both cups

How much evidence do you need?

I am happy to hear other explanations - so far the favourite was "Its the strikers fault" Olallana then showed us the Jay is actually one of the most prolific in the league.

Next fav was injuries - all clubs get injuries, have ours been any worse than other clubs?

Im just looking to understand why we had such a good start, but then transformed to a relegation form side for the last 17/18 games?

You raise some good questions Wildsaint. First of all, I am no doctor, just simply used the name of that DJ as a username (liked the sound of it at the time). Second I dont know if the players are overtrained, just named a posibility what COULD be down to our lack of form lately.

The symptoms of overtraining/fatigue are lack of concentration, picking up small injuries and exhaustion. The last few games we have seen that our players have been missing oppertunities in front of goal, that could be down to the lack of concentration. I would like to note that my opinion is based on what I have seen during the matches and videos they have uploaded, so obviously I could be well of the mark.

Am I more qualified then our coaching/medical/fitness team, I bloody well hope not! I work in sports (for just over 2,5 years, so would say I am still a novice) and have worked with a few athletes. Do hope to get in to S&C and spend alot of time researching and reading about it.

The last line of my post that was quoted, I state that I am not that impressed with the strength training I have seen the players doing. The reason I believe that is, that all the strength training the players do seems to be in a group and everyone does the same, also no olympic lifts or heavy compound exercises. That said, if I have overseen that or see photos soon, I will happily retract that statement.

So dont quote my posts as someone who is an expert on this, cause in time to come I might retract everything I have just posted and wonder why I wrote such thing ;)

You raise some good questions Wildsaint. First of all, I am no doctor, just simply used the name of that DJ as a username (liked the sound of it at the time). Second I dont know if the players are overtrained, just named a posibility what COULD be down to our lack of form lately.

The symptoms of overtraining/fatigue are lack of concentration, picking up small injuries and exhaustion. The last few games we have seen that our players have been missing oppertunities in front of goal, that could be down to the lack of concentration. I would like to note that my opinion is based on what I have seen during the matches and videos they have uploaded, so obviously I could be well of the mark.

Am I more qualified then our coaching/medical/fitness team, I bloody well hope not! I work in sports (for just over 2,5 years, so would say I am still a novice) and have worked with a few athletes. Do hope to get in to S&C and spend alot of time researching and reading about it.

The last line of my post that was quoted, I state that I am not that impressed with the strength training I have seen the players doing. The reason I believe that is, that all the strength training the players do seems to be in a group and everyone does the same, also no olympic lifts or heavy compound exercises. That said, if I have overseen that or see photos soon, I will happily retract that statement.

So dont quote my posts as someone who is an expert on this, cause in time to come I might retract everything I have just posted and wonder why I wrote such thing ;)

Thanks for clarifying DK. I think some posters (myself included) could do with adding the bit in bold to the end of a few posts.

post of the day - thank you Dr