Players Wages

Saint Billy

Is this the real and only reason we are struggling to hold onto our best players?

Jwp rumoured £10,000 per week....Omg, in todays terms peanuts.

I am sickened by the huge wage demands of footballers today but in order to compete you have to go some way in order to hold onto and attract players good enough to be reasonably competitive, are we even close?

I think I am probably in a minority (and a vast one at that) and think that the league needs a wage cap. Say £10k a week or at a push, £20k. Actually, maybe the older members on the forum can remember the day when football players earned "low" wages and were to be honest, more normal people.

High wages are clearly an issue and there should be a cap but that isnt going to happen as SKY want the best players playing in the Premiership. It does make it harder for clubs like Southampton to compete or to keep players but it just means that we have to be smarter. Keeping players long term when "big" clubs come knocking is near impossible. The alternative is to compete and put our financial position in jeopody. What would you do?

The article I read yesterday was that he was having his wages tripled from 10k to 30k per week.

Which is markedly better than 10k but I still think we will always struggle in the prem whilst we are relatively low payers.

The top 6 will always have the cream of the crop because they will pay for it and whilst the likes of saints will try and be savvy and snatch a bargain, holding onto bargains that come good is another matter.

JWP is still very young and come through our academy so I wouldn't expect him to be on much more than 10k a week, especially as he isn't a regular starter for us yet. We do seem to be handing out larger wages now, the problem is that the big wages are going to the wrong people i.e. that waste of money Osvaldo.

Don't you mean nauseated?

nauseous to mean feeling sick is an americanisation.

:smug:

I was quite amused by that, despite it being debatable (the Americanisation bit that is).

OK, to correct my error, "so I don't feel too nauseated" :lol:

Edited by kpturner

Is this the real and only reason we are struggling to hold onto our best players?

Jwp rumoured £10,000 per week....Omg, in todays terms peanuts.

I am sickened by the huge wage demands of footballers today but in order to compete you have to go some way in order to hold onto and attract players good enough to be reasonably competitive, are we even close?

The Pompey way, or no way.......that'll work!