Squabbling over free kicks

the_emu

Maybe this has been over looked because of the glorious way we trampled West Ham, but in the absence of any noteworthy games this weekend to talk about, I thought I'd raise it for open discussion.

For those who saw our game at Upton Park, I refer to a moment in the second half, when we were awarded a free about 25 yards out straight in front, and then it went something like this:

- Tadic's first reaction was to run to the ball quicker than you can say "I can bend it like Novak". You could tell he knew he wasn't the no. 1 designated to take the kick (refer next point) the way he tucked the ball firmly under his arm reminiscent to a doughboy bully in the school yard still trying to get his first kick. It was borderline cringe worthy to the point I was half expecting him to stuff the ball under his shirt.

- Enter stage right JWP. Rather than discuss the matter with Tadic like a coupe of adults (to be fair he's only 19), he tries to snatch the ball from him - except only the Jaws of Life are going to breach Tadic' vice like grip on the ball. After a couple of attempts and a bit of a verbal remonstration Tadic wins out, JWP walks away, shoulders dropped.

- This unsightly scene unfolds right in front of Fonte. He doesn't intervene, on the contrary, he turns his back to it all and walks back towards the halfway line.

- Tadic kicks into the wall, and JWP stands hands on hips shaking his head.

So, I don't want to raise a debate about who ultimately should have taken the kick. What I'm keen to explore is whether anyone else at the match watching this unfold, shook their head in dismay at the time like I did - with the key questions being:

- Should these players demonstrate a little more decorum and professionalism or is the watchword hunger and I'm being a too sentimental?

- Should Fonte, as on field captain have intervened to calm things down?

- Would Tadic have done it if SRL was still playing for us?

- Would Koeman have had any words to the individuals or the collective?

Let the discussions begin

Was the West Ham free kick in a better position for a left footed Tadic?

At the WBA game JWP took that free kick to the left of the box which hit the post. There didn't appear to be any squabble but maybe this was because it was a better position for a right footer.

They are both very capable dead ball/set piece takers - I think JWP has now scored 3 very good free kicks for England U21s now. However, there clearly needs to be a hierarchy based on ability and/or position of the free kick in relation to the goal so that no one falls out during the game!

I saw it and was slightly surprised by it all. It looked to me as though Tadic knew JWP was the designated taker but thought it would be a great area for him to have a go from, and JWP backed down. JWP should be taking them unless he doesn't fancy it, and these things should be sorted out before the game with Fonte stepping in if an issue like that develops IMO.

It might only have been a small issue but it does to me show where JWP needs to improve. He has loads of ability and he just needs the confidence to show it. In the second half at Liverpool and at West ham he was fantastic and started to run the game and as he grows in maturity I hope his confidence grows with it, and if it does he is going to become a seriously good player

Without wanting to derail the thread, what about penalties?

As for the OP, Fonte should have sorted it. I am sure RK will as he seems not to take any rubbish. As Willie says, maybe it's all new, but it should have been agreed and players should respect each others' abilities.

Good thread, I think Ron would have had a chat after, but I do hope that both players can reach some sort of agreement. I think JWP did the right thing to walk away, even when he felt he should take it, you don't show arguments on the field; leave them for the dressing room.

Yeah I noticed this, the fans certainly took JWP's side! In a way I was impressed by Tadic's passion and determination (kept geeing up fans throughout) - he clearly wanted to be the one to make the difference. Was Ward Prowses kick though and I can imagine it was very frustrating for him, particularly given his obvious ability with a dead ball.

Going by EA sports Fifa stats, which are VERY accurate. :lol:

• JWP has 77 Free kick accuracy, 81 Curve and 67 Shot Power

• Tadic has 76 Free kick accuracy, 84 Curve and 72 Shot Power

So JWP for close range free kicks and Tadic for longer range?

For penalties are two best takers are probably Pelle and Tadic.

• Tadic has 85 Penalties and 72 Shot Power

• Pelle has 67 Penalties and 77 Shot power

So Tadic is the clear winner.

I saw it and thought it was all a bit silly. I got the impression that the pre-match agreement (if there was one) was that JWP would take them, but it came during a ten-minute spell when Tadic was absolutely terrorising the WHU defence and looking very threatening, so his confidence would have been sky-high and he demanded to take it (maybe that's not such a bad thing though...?). Having said that, I thought JWP was the best player on the pitch from 45-70 minutes (when he was subbed) - he bossed the game and was the driving force behind our dominant spell in the match, so his confidence would have also been up. But I'm sure the issue has since been discussed and we probably won't see that sort of thing again.

When I saw it I thought Tadic was trying to take the limelight and this should have been sorted beforehand, mind you the shortage of time before the season start didn't leave a great deal of time to sort out the nitty gritty bits.

To me it should have been JWP for most set pieces.

Mancsaint.