Skiing

mightysaints

Acronyms???

RTT...recuperation temps de travail, the 35 hr week is standard in France but no-one actually does 35 hrs cos it's impossible so they recover time by taking days off at will, usually to prolonge holidays or join 2 public holidays. DDE Direction Departemental de L'Equipment, responsible for roads etc. Never seen an orange van with 5 blokes hanging round it watching a 6th bloke working (usually a spotty youth on work experience) ?

Edited by Window Cleaner

A couple of us in our early twenties really fancy this next year, want to go somewhere with a good night life (nothing chavy) but we're also beginners. We're going to have a weekend in MK visiting the dry slopes first then book up.

Any advice on destinations to suit the above?

I'll offer some advice but you need to understand that ski resorts are often a very personal thing, and some people's ideal resort is another's idea of hell. Some quick tips first though:

- If you're all beginners, find a resort with a decent ski school. I prefer English native speakers as instructors, I learn better by verbal technique rather than visual so the analogies that an English speaker provides suits me better than an albeit fluent foreign instructor. This will cost more though.

- Don't feel suckered into going to a mega-resort first time out if you're all beginners. Its often cheaper to go to a smaller resort, particularly for instruction, lift passes, beer and food etc.

- If going to France, bear in mind they have 4 weeks of half terms running from February into March. These are really busy times and the most expensive, so book outside of these.

- If none of you have much experience of going on ski holidays, go with a tour operator. There are bargains and flexibility to be had by going DIY but not when you don't know what you're doing. Let the tour op take the strain.

- Do as much research as you can on it all.

So, my summary. bear in mind these are very much a generalisation from my experiences (albeit 20 years travelling and 3 years working in the Alps), but some of these countries have a huge number of resorts that 99% of tourists won't have been to:

Bulgaria - Definitely the cheap end but limited skiing and very much a developing country. Bargains can be had but, personally, I'd stay away.

Andorra - this is very much at the cheaper end of things and if you go somewhere like Pas de la Casa, the night life is very lively. That said it has a Brits abroad reputation to it akin to a chavvy summer holiday.

France - Home to many world class resorts. Expensive, but you often get what you pay for. If you want good night life I'd consider Meribel, Les Deux Alpes, or if you can afford it Val d'Isere. La Plagne is a good ski area for beginners but I'm not a fan of the village feel and limited apres. Tignes is a great resort but not ideal for total beginners. Morzine is pretty lively and a good resort, definitely one to consider.

Austria - very good apres ski (if sometimes a bit too oompah). You'll often find people dancing on tables at 5pm after a day of skiing and a few gluhweins at the bars at the bottom of the slopes. I'd probably recommend Hinterglemm and Saalbach, Soelden is ok, Soll is supposed to be decent but I've not been. Mayrhofen is excellent but less so for beginners, its a bit more red-run dominated.

Italy - I really like Italian skiing. I wouldn't say nightlife is lively but its typically quieter on the slopes (always a good thing) and I quite like the chilled out Italian style of apres-ski. I'm off to Sauze d'Oulx in Feb after a week there last year which we all really enjoyed.

Switzerland - Relatively expensive and to be fair I have little experience other than a couple of small resorts, neither of which I'd recommend for beginners.

Dunno if that helps of not. Like I said it's most personal experience. But if you like the snowdome and get something booked up you can't really go wrong. And each trip is a further learning experience for what you like and don't like to refine future choices.

Check out Solden - good nightlife, not so expensive as France, close to airport at Innsbruck and a good amount of easy runs for beginners on guaranteed snow (two glaciers). They were filming the new James Bond film there just before Christmas. Personally, unless you live close, Id miss out the dry ski slope in MK and put the money saved to lessons in the resort. Also dont underestimate how much its going to cost you on top of the hotel / flight - at least £900pw (£250 for jacket / salopettes / gloves etc; £200 each for lift pass, lessons and ski / boot rental) .

Edited by buctootim

Good summary by Kraken. I've never skied Bulgaria or Andorra and only a few resorts in Austria but with the top resorts in France you'd be paying for gorgeous skiing you wouldn't appreciate as a beginner. You could try one of their smaller resorts like Lansvillard in the Maurienne Valley where there is a surprising amount of skiing (although not the snow year I went!).

You don't need to spend a lot on clothing although you're a bit late for the Lidl/Aldi special offers unless the repeat them: decent gear and they sell it in the demanding German market. TX-Maxx also have occasional good offers and as mentioned above, Decathlon. I was a season ticket holder for 7 years but still didn't spend much on clothing. My avalanche transceiver cost more..

As for preparation, apart from exercises it is useful as a beginner to get some experience on dry slopes. No point learning how to side step or even put on your skis 1000 kilometers away on holiday when you can learn beforehand.

You'll enjoy it wherever you go!

For all that are planning to learn to ski on the slopes, save some cash and learn here. You will be able to explore more of the mountain if the basics are sorted out before you go and just have some improver lessons

Agree with this. There's no point wasting a day on the mountains learning the basics on 200 yards of piste.

• 2 weeks later...
Bet there were a few man u fans in there giving it large, loved to have seen the smiles wiped off the faces. Glad to see your having a great time and enjoying the cheap beers.

Great week Steve which is now at its end. Got absolutely flattened/taken out yesterday by some young **** - didn't know anything about it until he hit me from behind. Saw stars and my ski pole was bent at 45 degrees but luckily didn't get injured. So many of these out of control arseholes. Lucky I was wearing a helmet!

Good reason to wear a helmet, Last time I was at Bansko there were a few out of control Greeks. How was the snow, heard it was a bit patchy there. Most resorts are struggling this season

Great week Steve which is now at its end. Got absolutely flattened/taken out yesterday by some young **** - didn't know anything about it until he hit me from behind. Saw stars and my ski pole was bent at 45 degrees but luckily didn't get injured. So many of these out of control arseholes. Lucky I was wearing a helmet!

Good reason to wear a helmet, Last time I was at Bansko there were a few out of control Greeks. How was the snow, heard it was a bit patchy there. Most resorts are struggling this season

Yes good snow at the top but the lower slopes were quite icy. I felt sorry for beginners struggling to get back to the top of the bubble.