Iphone 6 or Samsung S5 or other smartphone

St Chalet

The faithfull Blackberry has started to creek and it is upgrade time for my work device. Basically I can select any handset. Have a personal iPad and and Android so know both the OS's

On the face of it the iPhone looks better, the only thing that makes me wary is the faff that getting my music on to it would take. I basically have ripped everything I own to a Micro Sd and that works great in the BB and Android.

Any thoughts on the above?

As someone who departed Apple after the iPhone 4 and could compare the android devices I got to the latest generation iPhone thanks to work I would recommend Android without question. There is no question that the iPhones are great devices but the latest Android hardware offers far more pound for pound. It is my personal belief that the current Android handsets are at least a year or so ahead of the performance of their Apple counterparts but the technology is such now that even something not at the very sharpest end will still be more then enough for most people to ever need.

The S5 is an excellent all rounder, but the HTC One m8 merits consideration thanks to it's superb build quality too. Consider the Sony Xperia Z3 if you prioritise camera performance. For an outside option the LG G3 has a truly outstanding quad HD screen. In short, you cannot go wrong with any of the top line droids which now all have SD card capability.

The great thing is that there are no obvious lemons out there if you stick to the main brands. Whatever you choose i'm sure you will not regret it.

Edited by Colinjb

What are the main reasons the android dudes move back?

Speed and simplicity. For the record I also have a Nexus and iPad. No real axe to grind but Nexus is slower. Have features that allow you to have more control.

Wife also had S3 and now back to an iPhone and far happier with it.. One of kids also has my old Kindle Fire so I have used a few alternatives but Apple do have the slickness nailed.

I know spec for spec Android devices look very favourable but my personal preference is iOS. Super reliable and Apple customer service is second to none IMO. Device value holds up well when want to trade in.

Not massive fan of ITunes tie in but that is now less relevant with wifi and line speed.

HTC M8 or the smaller version the HTC one mini 2. Excellent build quality and appearance, best speakers on a phone I have had, good cameras, very good battery and touches like Blinkfeed (customisable news snippets) are a bonus. As I have an Ipad too i like having both android and IOS, prefer not to be wedded to one system only

Edited by Bucks Saint

As someone who departed Apple after the iPhone 4 and could compare the android devices I got to the latest generation iPhone thanks to work I would recommend Android without question. There is no question that the iPhones are great devices but the latest Android hardware offers far more pound for pound. It is my personal belief that the current Android handsets are at least a year or so ahead of the performance of their Apple counterparts but the technology is such now that even something not at the very sharpest end will still be more then enough for most people to ever need.

The S5 is an excellent all rounder, but the HTC One m8 merits consideration thanks to it's superb build quality too. Consider the Sony Xperia Z3 if you prioritise camera performance. For an outside option the LG G3 has a truly outstanding quad HD screen. In short, you cannot go wrong with any of the top line droids which now all have SD card capability.

The great thing is that there are no obvious lemons out there if you stick to the main brands. Whatever you choose i'm sure you will not regret it.

HTC M8 or the smaller version the HTC one mini 2. Excellent build quality and appearance, best speakers on a phone I have had, good cameras, very good battery and touches like Blinkfeed (customisable news snippets) are a bonus. As I have an Ipad too i like having both android and IOS, prefer not to be wedded to one system only

glad you both mentioned the mini2, the wife was due am upgrade but didn't want to change handsets so I've got it and having it for Xmas!

Go Android, iOS have been catching up with Android tech now for about 3/4 years, iPhones are no longer at the cutting edge of technology, they're just implementing features that Android phones have and have had for years.

Yeah features that slow it down. Most people only need so much from a phone. Anyway personal preference but this Apple are so far behind is nonsense. Can't exist at the high end without a good product.

Speaks volumes that Android fanboys would get excited enough to produce that. Anyway can't argue over a matter of taste although I have sampled both and know which is best.

Well it depends I guess, if you just want a phone first and foremost and don't care about your phone having cutting edge technology in it then pick either, it doesn't matter, but Android has been at the cutting edge of technology now for a number of years, 1080p AMOLED screens, Octo-Core and Quad-Core processors, the iPhone just can't compete anymore as Apple need to make a phone that fits everyone's needs, so a median needs to be achieved.

I had an iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4S before switching to a Samsung Galaxy S3, now got a Sony Xperia Z1.

Going Android is the best decision I ever made, I've sampled both and know which is best.

Probably the best phone out there at the moment is the HTC One M8.