Forster So Far

Saint Charlie

Cannot see a problem with his kicking but needs to come out for the high balls more. Probably a question of confidence. I remember Mark Schwarzer getting every high ball we put in when we played Middleborough a few years ago and that is what I would like to see. Seems to have a little problem holding on to ground shots to as evidenced on Saturday and this is not the first time. However, I think this will be overcome and he will be v.good goalkeeper.

Whichever way I look at it, Forster was at fault for the first palace goal. IMO, a keeper has to gather that shot, OR, put it somewhere safe. He should be aware of where he can put it if he can't gather it and I think in this case it was possible for him to put it out wide.

At the moment, I'd give him a 6/10. Yes, he's had a couple of great games where he's made some good saves but shot stopping is goalkeeping basics; they can all do that. It's all the other stuff (as I've said before) that make a good goalkeeper a great one.

Whichever way I look at it, Forster was at fault for the first palace goal. IMO, a keeper has to gather that shot, OR, put it somewhere safe. He should be aware of where he can put it if he can't gather it and I think in this case it was possible for him to put it out wide.

At the moment, I'd give him a 6/10. Yes, he's had a couple of great games where he's made some good saves but shot stopping is goalkeeping basics; they can all do that. It's all the other stuff (as I've said before) that make a good goalkeeper a great one.

Yes indeed. The defence was wide open but he showed too much of the goal to his left which made up Sanogo's mind as to where to shoot. He may have stopped the shot at full stretch and had a hand on the ball but Chamakh was allowed to bundle it into the net.

IMO, currently, when both are fit, Boruc despite his moments of madness is the better keeper - not just because he could pull off hollywood saves, but mainly for the confidence he gave the back four. However, Boruc has two critical flaws, age and his proneness to getting injured. He doesn't have too many seasons left at this level, and is currently only fit for c. 60-70% of games maximum (this will no doubt decline over forthcoming years).

Forster seems to have some learning to do regarding his decision making (when to come off the line, when to punch etc). A few years at this level and hopefully he should pick up the experience to improve this area of his game. Forster seems more level-headed than Boruc. I'm hopeful that in, say, 3 years time he will be a superb keeper. In 3 years time, Boruc might be lucky to have a professional contract at any level.

All in all, I think the club made the right decision to replace Boruc - it's a temporary step backwards in quality that will hopefully pay off in the long run. The biggest headache it presents is backup - Gazzaniga is only 23, he is the right age to start providing regular backup. He probably has the technical ability, if his confidence hasn't been completely destroyed.

his season turned on that Villa game. Since then he hasn't known whether to come off his line or stick. Actually he has not not come off his line at all since then and that has caused us a few problems. He needs to put that behind him and get back to where he was before that game, which was making good decisions as to when to come out or not.

As for the rest of his game, well his kicking has got worse as the season goes on. It's not easy off both feet, but he was booming clearances and turning defence into attack. At times now it is not reaching half way and we are back under pressure. He is flapping less than he did before. He's such a big guy he should dominate the box, but he isn't always the quickest on his feet. Definate room for improvement there. Shot stopping he has been pretty decent. Not much has got past him and he has been pretty solid. I've yet to see a truely world class save (by contrast I've to see him commit a howler), something Boruc puled out of the hat a few times, but in fairness to Forster he has so little to do its not easy for him to shine. Being able to make that save after a long period of inactivity is tough and he has done well. I don't miss Boruc's over casual style - that Stoke mistake annoyed me a lot - but I do miss how brilliant he was with crosses.

Its very difficult to compare anyone with Boruc, who's eccentricity and ill-discipline made him a very unique case.

I sincerely rank him as one of football's biggest ever underachievers, literally up there with the likes of Adriano. If you look past his moments of madness, he really did have the talent as a goalkeeper to be playing for the likes of Barcelona/Bayern/Man United.

Guys, you know how we should really compare them? Use FIFA! eh Convict Colony ;). lol

Boruc is 76 rated, with two green stats, with good diving and reflexes. http://www.futhead.com/15/players/3450/artur-boruc/

Forster is 75 rated, with one green stat, which is his reflexes. http://www.futhead.com/15/players/10557/fraser-forster/

Therefore Boruc is better.

;)