City AM interview with David Bence

Marino

I would imagine the wait for marquee signings will be in tents.

Dods he mean 'marque' signings?

In any case, that is a word that is widely used erroneously.

The definition of marque is a make of car as distinct to a specific model, or a letter of marque is a licence to fit out an armed vessel and use it in the capture of enemy merchant shipping and to commit acts which would otherwise have constituted piracy.

The definition of marque is a make of car as distinct to a specific model, or a letter of marque is a licence to fit out an armed vessel and use it in the capture of enemy merchant shipping and to commit acts which would otherwise have constituted piracy.

The use of marquée as an adjective refers I think to the sort of sign panel above theatres and the like publicising coming events in the hope of drawing a big crowd. You know Road to Nowhere starring Agnes Brown and Bert Smith. This lighted emplacement is known as a marquée, comes from the French "marquise" which is a sort of awning. The French word for a big tent is Chapiteau in fact.

Edited by Window Cleaner

The use of marquée as an adjective refers I think to the sort of sign panel above theatres and the like publicising coming events in the hope of drawing a big crowd. You know Road to Nowhere starring Agnes Brown and Bert Smith. This lighted emplacement is known as a marquée, comes from the French "marquise" which is a sort of awning. The French word for a big tent is Chapiteau in fact.

Blimey! Perhaps you should be appearing on Countdown instead of Le Tiss!

Interesting stuff: " Expenditure on the training ground has risen to £38m, which is one reason why Liebherr has recently increased her loan to the club by £20m to £70m". I thought the debt to KL was £50m?.

And from David Bence :" “We want to leave this community asset in a better position than when we found it.” is he talking sooner or later?

He doesn't mean "marque" signings.

Funny, I always thought it just meant big tent, with the signing being the big tent pole holding the rest of it up.

You live and learn.