JWP Sending off - are Saints going to appeal this ?

manina-pub

Actually offensively he ranks 16th. You need to click on the "rating" column on the right hand side to sort in rating order. Surprisingly he rates slightly higher defensively (but only a place, 15th).

The rating is the same across all categories, so won't change by screen (he is 16th in both). Otherwise Fraser Forster is ranked higher than him offensively. :?

The rating is the same across all categories, so won't change by screen (he is 16th in both). Otherwise Fraser Forster is ranked higher than him offensively. :?

You need to try clicking on a few more headings, the rating is not the same across all categories at all, and the data is sortable on every different stat, home and away and overall. For a start he is better away than home (a bit). Try looking at assists (we know he is 2nd there) and key passes, but overall.

Anyway I am no fan of these stats, but if they are of any use they do indicate how ineffective the boy is (currently), ranking well below Steven Davis, for instance, who many like to criticise.

Depends what the official reason for the red card is I suppose, only seen the video but the challenge looks decidely rustic

and might even be considered as an over zealous tackle from behind. Guess we'll find out tomorrow when the FA updates the suspenson lists.

Defoe kicked Ward-Prowse's legs out from under him having made sure he collided with something after losing control of the ball. Didn't look like a foul at the time, looked even less like one on tv. The red was clearly for DOGSO, and will be a one match ban.

Can't really argue with the first one as Fonte basically kicked Graham in the head, even though Graham headed it off the pitch. If there was still an indirect free-kick for dangerous play I'd be going with that, but they've all but removed the indirect free-kick for anything except offside now, using the logic that dangerous play is now one of the definitions for direct free-kicks and the foul or card given.

Since Christmas he has been absolute gash. He wouldn't get anywhere near the full England team based on his form over the past 5 months.

Offensively he ranks 11th in our team http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/18 even Wanyama rates better. He is just a passenger right now. Time for him to have a break.

Agreed i don't think he has offered much for a lot of this season apart from a little spell at Christmas. Wasn't what i was saying though, nor was i saying i think he should be anywhere near the full England set up as he most certainly shouldn't be.

Purely an observation that he gets talked up a lot across the U21 and full international set, and were we to appeal, that may work in his favour.

You need to try clicking on a few more headings, the rating is not the same across all categories at all, and the data is sortable on every different stat, home and away and overall. For a start he is better away than home (a bit). Try looking at assists (we know he is 2nd there) and key passes, but overall.

Anyway I am no fan of these stats, but if they are of any use they do indicate how ineffective the boy is (currently), ranking well below Steven Davis, for instance, who many like to criticise.

Are you sure that's right Vectis? You sound very confident so I've spent the last few minutes going click-happy trying to prove myself wrong, but I keep finding that everyone has the same rating across Defensive, Offensive and Passing. JWP for example is 6.65. I see that it does change between Home and Away (6.70 and 6.61 respectively for JWP), but that wasn't what we were talking about - you said he ranked higher defensively than offensively.

Of course you could pick on individual stats and those would give completely different ranking depending what you chose (for a start, height and weight are listed there!), but we were taking about the "Rating", which is a composite score.

Are you sure that's right Vectis? You sound very confident so I've spent the last few minutes going click-happy trying to prove myself wrong, but I keep finding that everyone has the same rating across Defensive, Offensive and Passing. JWP for example is 6.65. I see that it does change between Home and Away (6.70 and 6.61 respectively for JWP), but that wasn't what we were talking about - you said he ranked higher defensively than offensively.

Of course you could pick on individual stats and those would give completely different ranking depending what you chose (for a start, height and weight are listed there!), but we were taking about the "Rating", which is a composite score.

I'm not sure, you could be right. Although I think the data has been updated because Prowsey's red is now showing up (was it when I was looking before, don't know). Home and away is definitely different. I don't know. Who cares. His rating is **** whatever way you look at it. :?

Defoe kicked Ward-Prowse's legs out from under him having made sure he collided with something after losing control of the ball. Didn't look like a foul at the time, looked even less like one on tv. The red was clearly for DOGSO, and will be a one match ban.

Can't really argue with the first one as Fonte basically kicked Graham in the head, even though Graham headed it off the pitch. If there was still an indirect free-kick for dangerous play I'd be going with that, but they've all but removed the indirect free-kick for anything except offside now, using the logic that dangerous play is now one of the definitions for direct free-kicks and the foul or card given.

Call me biased, but I thought Fonte was within his rights to kick the rising ball. Graham was a bit daft to try to head it as he could see Fonte preparing to kick it. With 20,000 Mackems screaming "foul" the ref was swayed.

Call me biased, but I thought Fonte was within his rights to kick the rising ball. Graham was a bit daft to try to head it as he could see Fonte preparing to kick it. With 20,000 Mackems screaming "foul" the ref was swayed.

Not, that one was pretty obvious. You can't kick a ball at head height and expect to get away with it. Dangerous play all day long. As The9 says earlier, it used to be indirect, now it's direct. If you want to blame anybody have a go at Maya for heading the ball straight up in the air in the penalty area.

Not, that one was pretty obvious. You can't kick a ball at head height and expect to get away with it. Dangerous play all day long. As The9 says earlier, it used to be indirect, now it's direct. If you want to blame anybody have a go at Maya for heading the ball straight up in the air in the penalty area.

I assure you I have done this repeatedly. :D

Yet a bicycle kick is okay?

Yet a bicycle kick is okay?

Depends on who's around and if the ref thinks the player has taken consideration of them, you could argue that Fonte should have been sent off under the current laws, or at least booked:

Careless, reckless, using excessive force

“Careless” means that the player has shown a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution. • No further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless

“Reckless” means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent. • A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned

“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent. • A player who uses excessive force must be sent off

FWIW, the indirect free-kick stuff I mentioned above:

Applies to backpasses, plus

An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if, in the opinion of the referee, a player:

plays in a dangerous manner

impedes the progress of an opponent

prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands

commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player

As I mentioned above, "playing in a dangerous manner" is practically the same as reckless or using excessive force above, so is all but moot nowadays - you have to be "playing in a dangerous manner WITHOUT doing any of the following (the criteria for a direct free kick) in order for it to be indirect!

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

trips or attempts to trip an opponent

jumps at an opponent

charges an opponent

strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

pushes an opponent

tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:

holds an opponent

spits at an opponent

handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

I assure you I have done this repeatedly. :D

Which, kicked the ball up in the air or had a go at Maya? ;)

FWIW, the indirect free-kick stuff I mentioned above:

Applies to backpasses, plus

As I mentioned above, "playing in a dangerous manner" is practically the same as reckless or using excessive force above, so is all but moot nowadays - you have to be "playing in a dangerous manner WITHOUT doing any of the following (the criteria for a direct free kick) in order for it to be indirect!

I miss the old-fashioned indirect free-kick in the penalty area. Always good for a laugh :)