Shirt sponsors 1985

Matthew Le Tissier

Just wondered if anyone can cast back all those years.

Obviously I know our centenary shirt sponsor was draper tools but I'm in talks with an ex player about some shirts and he has an away centenary shirt he wore but strangely has the sponsor EPSON on it. I've never seen this.

He seems to think he may have been used in the cup matches but he just doesn't remember, I don't remember that!?

Maybe pre season or a testimonial ??

Anyone have any memories of this!??

Cheers

Definitely Draper Tools in 1985. Took over from Air Florida at the start of the 84/85 season, the last year we played in the red and white Patrick kit. The season after that was the Centenary Year with the red Patrick kit. Rank Xerox's final season was 82/83.

Never seen a Saints shirt with Epsom on it, though

It was worn in the EPSON super cup in Singapore in 1987

See "in that number " under friendlys !

Cool, that would have been my first stop had my copy not migrated to the garage - nice to know my half-baked "could have been worn after 85" theory had legs too.

Just after we'd secured of highest ever league position? Fantastic.

Was at that game, absolutely poured down on the open terrace. Stood at the top of the terrace and when you looked over the top you could see the open toilets with a tin roof that was half missing, they don't build them like that any more...great away day and yep pretty sure we went top that day.

Oh and FWIW Saints lost to Universidad Automata of Mexico in the semis, the Mexicans played St Mirren (who had replaced Dundee Utd) in the Cup Final.

There were 4 teams

Saints beat Perth Azzurri 4-1

St Mirren 0-0 Automata

Saints 0-0 St Mirren

Automata 0-0 Perth

Saints 0-1 Automata

St Mirren 2-1 Perth (in front of 564 fans)

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/Digitised/Article/straitstimes19870525-1.2.44.12.aspx?q=southampton+epson&page=5&sort=relevance&token=epson%2csouthampton&sessionid=97bf2ec2ef694582a89a32e997d1921e

Saints being Saints conceded a last minute goal whilst only needing a draw to miss out on the final, I can't find any record of who won between St Mirren and Automata in the Final!

Oh and FWIW Saints lost to Universidad Automata of Mexico in the semis, the Mexicans played St Mirren (who had replaced Dundee Utd) in the Cup Final.

There were 4 teams

Saints beat Perth Azzurri 4-1

St Mirren 0-0 Automata

Saints 0-0 St Mirren

Automata 0-0 Perth

Saints 0-1 Automata

St Mirren 2-1 Perth (in front of 564 fans)

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/Digitised/Article/straitstimes19870525-1.2.44.12.aspx?q=southampton+epson&page=5&sort=relevance&token=epson%2csouthampton&sessionid=97bf2ec2ef694582a89a32e997d1921e

Saints being Saints conceded a last minute goal whilst only needing a draw to miss out on the final, I can't find any record of who won between St Mirren and Automata in the Final!

http://www.stmirren.info/id36.html

Here you go, looks like St Mirren won on pens after a 0-0 draw

Good research !! Can't find a photo anywhere though!!

There's this on the St Mirren link: Epson.jpg

And some of the Singapore newspaper searches come up with pics of the competition advert. Unfortunately some of the results are offline and the paper is only visible in a Singapore-based Library. :D

I was looking for a photo is saints playing in the cup!

Yeah, so was I for about 2 hours, there are plenty of articles which exist and have been archived and indexed but can't be viewed online.

I just thought the enormous green pointless thing was funny. :)

Here's my 2 Centenary shirts. I've had the home one since '85 and as you can see, the sponsorship is long gone. The away shirt came to me after SCW left the club. They had a huge clear out at the training ground and there were black bin bags full of old shirts. I got this one and several of the white & green Hummel away shirts from the late 80's.

Saints Away 85-87.jpg

Saints Home 85-87.jpg

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd