Rank the Gaffers

Saint Charlie

That Plan b stuff is a red herring IMO. What is Koeman's plan B? Can you clearly identify the plan A even?

That's a bit negative? We've seen on a few occasions already that RK has switched from his preferred back 4 to 3 at the back with 5 in the midfield. I guess it depends on what your definition of a "plan-B" is, but that's how I would deem it.

Pochettino? 4-2-3-1, press high, that's all he had in his locker. When it was good, it was very very good; but when it was bad, it was 'orrid.

I mean style rather than systems. Not in a negative way, Koeman has got us playing lovely football at times but Pochettino has a more clearly identifiable way of playing.

But I think relatively few Managers have proper plan B's because they believe in the way they want to play.

Its easy to fans to throw around comments but if you train all week to play a certain way, why change in a game?

1. Lawrie/Ted

2. Chris Nicholl

3. Bally

4. WGS

5. Goddle

6. Adkins

7. Poch

Why have you combined Lawrie and Ted?

I can't be bothered to add it up but they probably managed for more time than the rest of the list combined, so why not separate them?

I mean style rather than systems. Not in a negative way, Koeman has got us playing lovely football at times but Pochettino has a more clearly identifiable way of playing.

But I think relatively few Managers have proper plan B's because they believe in the way they want to play.

Its easy to fans to throw around comments but if you train all week to play a certain way, why change in a game?

Agree but you're overcomplicating things. Teams will struggle at times, not because they're set up too rigidly or are unable to play a different way; but because the other side is simply better or set up to frustrate.

Even the best sides have difficulties when the opposition plays very compact which can neutralise multiple styles of play. Often, the difference comes down a moment of individual quality rather than a game plan.

Not enough credit is given to the opposition in these circumstances; instead, we get clichés about a lack of plan b.

Ted Bates - from Div 3 (South) to Europe

Lawrie - who remains the only manager to win a major trophy, and some great football played

Adkins - provided some grweat memories

Koeman - inhherited a beleagured squad and finished 7th

Ball - provided saviour, and inspiration when we desperately needed it, brought some of the best in MLT out.

Pardew - reversed the losing mentality,and a great day at Wembley

After that its difficult, WGS provided us a cup final, and a promising future flickered, but not convinced he'd have taken us on the journey we wanted. Nicholl, and I never thought I'd say this in the 80's but desrves more credit than he gets in the history of Saints, you only have to look how we plummeted after he departed to realise what he did, and I still remember the 4-1 demolition of Liverpool ta THe Dell, with the young Shearr, Rod Wallace & MLT.

With the exception of Pardew perhaps, most of the above are men of integrity, so that excludes Pochetino from joining their ranks. Similarly for Hoddle, for the way he departed, but on footballing terms the transformation under him probably merits 7th place.