Chelsea 4-2 Saints: Reactions

Bad Wolf

People moaned that against city we set up too defensively this week they're moaning he set up too attacking ! :mcinnes:

Just a theory, but maybe we set up exactly the same way in both, but the opposition set up differently. Man City wanted possession, Chelsea set out to counter attack. That meant is appeared like we approached the game with different tactics but in both cases ended up playing according to what the better team and better players dictated.

Starting to get rather fed up of Puel, the positives such as the opportunities given to youngsters are being overweighed by his sheer tactical ineptitude. The set up yesterday was only ever going to lead to one outcome and that was defeat. I couldn't care less about how gallant we were in defeat, what i want is a manager who has a plan to get results against the top teams & not one who expresses how satisfied he is at getting beaten.

Amazed it took them so long to sub Boufal too, he appeared to be a complete passenger for quite a time before he finally demanded they sub him.

A league cup run doesn't mask how desperately poor we've been in the league as far as i'm concerned.

Very worried some of our better players are going to be looking at the current set up and thinking it is going nowhere fast.

Can you tell us what set up we could have made to quell the best team in the land?

13 out of 14 tems have visited Chelsea in the league this season and failed to set up to beat them and so please give us this ground breaking set up that would do so.

Considering we let in an early goal and were on the backfoot we did wonderfully well to equalise and then look lke the team who could take the lead. The hammer blow was the goal right on halftime, had that not happened the second half could well have been a better out come for us.

So it's the refs fault that we are crap in defence and toothless in attack and Puel has about as much tactical nous as Edna Savage?
Tell us what manager in the world with our squad would have got a positive result?? Puel at least had Chelsea sweating and nervous with our quick interplay and so his tactics cant be that bad. I dont know who Edna Savage is BTW

Gave it a good go at times but we can't defend like we did tonight against sides like Chelsea. **** defending really has become a common thing since VvD got injured. Yoshida and Stephens just aren't good enough for where this club say they want to be. Neither of them should be in the starting line up when the transfer window slams shut next season, if they are then something has gone very wrong in the transfer window.

Fully expect them to be the first choice CB pairing for next season.

Fully expect them to be the first choice CB pairing for next season.

Why do people say daft stuff like this.

If those two start the first game of next season (aside from concurrent injuries to 2 better CBs) I will stick my kn*b and b*llocks in a George Foreman Multi Grill.

Why do people say daft stuff like this.

If those two start the first game of next season (aside from concurrent injuries to 2 better CBs) I will stick my kn*b and b*llocks in a George Foreman Multi Grill.

People also said it was "obvious" we'd replace Fonte in January but we didn't. I reckon we will see VVD leave and will get one CB in for between £10-15m from some European team. After last summer and the failings in Jan coupled with rumours of a takeover I can't see us investing heavily in the next window. Hope I'm wrong.

Against City I was livid because we just rolled over and let them tickle our tummies. Last night was altogether different, alright we were well beaten but at least we looked like we deserved to be on the same pitch as Chelsea,

I would say that's something of an exaggeration. For the first 45 minutes we matched them.

People also said it was "obvious" we'd replace Fonte in January but we didn't. I reckon we will see VVD leave and will get one CB in for between £10-15m from some European team. After last summer and the failings in Jan coupled with rumours of a takeover I can't see us investing heavily in the next window. Hope I'm wrong.

It's obvious we tried to, the deal didn't come off and we ended up signing MC in desperation, as cover.

A month from now, Martin will be gone and this summer we will find a proper replacement. If VvD leaves, then likewise.

I'm really not sure what you are referring to from last summer. As far as I can see, we achieved all of our transfer targets and replaced the players who left with what looked like good buys.

It's obvious we tried to, the deal didn't come off and we ended up signing MC in desperation, as cover.

A month from now, Martin will be gone and this summer we will find a proper replacement. If VvD leaves, then likewise.

I'm really not sure what you are referring to from last summer. As far as I can see, we achieved all of our transfer targets and replaced the players who left with what looked like good buys.

So you don't think we left ourselves short (especially up front) following the summer window? You were genuinely content with the amount of business we did?

So you don't think we left ourselves short (especially up front) following the summer window? You were genuinely content with the amount of business we did?

It was a bit of a Les Reed-ish comment wasn't it? Not to mention not replacing Big Vic. We were lucky Romeu didn't get a major injury.

It was a bit of a Les Reed-ish comment wasn't it? Not to mention not replacing Big Vic. We were lucky Romeu didn't get a major injury.

Exactly. Especially that some of the criticism of Puel seems to be mitigated by the fact that he was let down by Les Reed and should be given the summer to mould the team as he wants. If we did good business and achieved all our targets in the market then Puel has to be judged on this season. Can't have it both ways.

For me, Puel was let down by Reed and should be given the summer but then I think our transfer business last summer was inadequate.

Not this again.

Just because Hojbjerg is white, doesn't mean he can't be Vic replacement. No he's not as physical but he did have other attributes.

Yep. We had Austin, J Rod, Long, Tadic, Redmond, Boufal. Six players for three forward positions, with promising youngsters like Sims and Hesketh.

The fact that Long, J Rod and Boufal have all massively failed to deliver and Austin has had a long term injury is neither Reed nor Puel's fault. J Rod we all had doubts over but as a squad we should have had enough.

Not this again.

Just because Hojbjerg is white, doesn't mean he can't be Vic replacement. No he's not as physical but he did have other attributes.

Yep. We had Austin, J Rod, Long, Tadic, Redmond, Boufal. Six players for three forward positions, with promising youngsters like Sims and Hesketh.

The fact that Long, J Rod and Boufal have all massively failed to deliver and Austin has had a long term injury is neither Reed nor Puel's fault. J Rod we all had doubts over but as a squad we should have had enough.

Fair enough. My own personal view was that those players wouldn't get us enough goals and sure enough they didn't.

Not this again.

None of those adequately replaced Mane and Big Vic. Hojbjerg has potential but he's nowhere near Big Vic's level (yet). And how does his colour come into it?