Hampshire CCC 2023

Window Cleaner

Four wickets polished off in half an hour for a pretty comfortable win, although I doubt Surrey had any intention of plugging away at a steady 2/3 rpo to try and win that. Probably more interested in getting away before the traffic on the M3.

You have to say that's another excellent season all things considered, even if we were never really in the CC fight.

• Like 1

Irritatingly the points we scored last year in the CC (224) would have been enough to win it this year!  Batting points across the board are down massively (Surrey for example scored 27 this year Vs 48 last) so definitely a year for the bowlers, even with the changes to batting bonus points this season

Another good season overall.  Shame we couldn't nab a cup and be a bit closer in the championship

2 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

So the points deduction cost us second place in the end.  Even for a match that we lost.

Do Essex ever get points deductions for the turnip patches that they turn out to favour their spinner?

Anyway good end to the season.

No. we finished 4 points behind Essex after the 3 point deduction.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Whiteley departs!  A cracking player on his day but he was pretty awful last season.  Hopefully frees up some budget to improve the red ball squad

https://www.ageasbowl.com/cricket/news/ross-whiteley-leaves-hampshire-to-rejoin-derbyshire/

I’d agree with that. Also the third oldest player in a squad with quite a lot of 33 plus players. We’ve got to be looking at a red ball batter, with those two departures.

Difficult situation for batting line up.

We cannot go for an overseas player because we have Abbott and Abbas in final year of their contract for 2024

We have experienced batsmen in Vince, Dawson and Brown who may only have a few years left so we need to look long term to deal with that.

We have good prospects in Middleton, Albert and Prest and that is why they have been featuring this past year. If we push a new batsman in place of any of them it is going to cost a large sum in wages, something the club cannot sustain whilst others are still on the books.  Organ, Crane, Weatherly and Holland have contracts until the end of 2024 season.

I think we are going to have to muddle through next season in the Championship to give the youngsters another year experience, providing the club think they have a future. We still  have a great bowling attack in Abbott, Abbas and Barker to get us out of trouble during the season so we should stay comfortably in Division 1  

8 hours ago, Weston Saint said:

Update but only a rumour so far that Alistair Orr, Sussex Wicket Keeper and upper order Batsman may be joining us. I stress it is only a rumour from a Sussex message board at this stage. 

Sounds promising - he scored 1000 runs in div 2 last season.  Can't see him being WK over Brown though so wonder how key that would be to him

• Like 1

Link to story for those interested 

21 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Looks a decent signing on the face of it; a decent, three format batter who can open in the County games. I wonder if he'll open the Blast with McD or just replace Whiteley in the middle order.

Hope not.  Vince is best opening, and is our best T20 player imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20231122125206/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/11/21/ali-orr-sussex-hampshire-transfer-county-cricket-rob-andrew/

More info here, including that we paid Sussex compensation.  I guess it must happen when players are under contract but I've rarely, if ever, heard it spoken about.

Chairman Jon Filby ‘Sussex Cricket has never been a healthier place than it is now’. Ouch, and we thought Semmens and Ankerson came out with some total crap at times. Rob Andrew a great rugby player but controversial figure at Sussex, although difficult with their small ground at Hove to generate the income to compete with Hants, Lancs, Surrey, Warwickshire, Notts et al. Competing with Somerset, Durham if they get back up probably their best bet but those clubs get ODIs and T20s every year. 

Good signing on paper on Hampshire in an area needing strengthening. Will be a big jump in the quality of bowling faces in D1 but looking forward to seeing him in action. Middleton, Orr, Weatherley, Vince, Prest, Dawson, Brown, Albert and Currie if they kick on. Not bad. Organ needs to find some consistency against the moving ball to keep the pressure on.

Essex probably the model for Sussex but different catchment for players and bigger name.

On compensation, that’s been going on for a while when contracts run down. Worcs lost Josh Tongue to Notts before the end of his contract.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1