Hampshire CCC 2023

Window Cleaner

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/02/2023 at 19:16, Barsiem said:

For anyone interested James Vince will be captaining the Gulf Giants in the international league T20 competition on Sunday.  Another new tournament in the shorter form of the game... It'll be on BT sport, I think at 2pm

Been playing pretty well for them.  Practically got them to the final in the eliminator by himself, made 87.

I see that the points structure for the CC has changed for next season. Only 5 points for a draw and batting points start at 250. 

Not sure that that bodes well for us.

On 10/02/2023 at 19:16, Barsiem said:

For anyone interested James Vince will be captaining the Gulf Giants in the international league T20 competition on Sunday.  Another new tournament in the shorter form of the game... It'll be on BT sport, I think at 2pm

Won. Part of his winnings a gold pendant the weight of a cricket ball with 240 diamonds. Not surprising he chose ILT20 rather than BBL. (And that's the Valentine's day present for the Mrs sorted)

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

There's a Shane Warne / Hampshire podcast on the BBC atm for anyone interested

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0f66rv8

Not listened myself but can't say I agree with the blurb (shown below) - really Hants have been a more serious outfit from the early 90s, and if anyone transformed Hants at the time we signed Warne it was Rod Bransgrove.  Still, no doubting Warne was great for us

"Marking the first anniversary of Shane Warne's death, we celebrate the life of one of cricket's biggest stars, who transformed one small, English, county cricket club - Hampshire. 'Shane Warne: A Hampshire Love Story' looks at how Warne changed Hampshire Cricket Club, taking it from an unambitious and amateur run county, to one that consistently competed for trophies and rose up the cricketing pyramid."

Edited by Barsiem
  • Like 1

On 04/03/2023 at 11:35, Barsiem said:

There's a Shane Warne / Hampshire podcast on the BBC atm for anyone interested

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0f66rv8

Not listened myself but can't say I agree with the blurb (shown below) - really Hants have been a more serious outfit from the early 90s, and if anyone transformed Hants at the time we signed Warne it was Rod Bransgrove.  Still, no doubting Warne was great for us

"Marking the first anniversary of Shane Warne's death, we celebrate the life of one of cricket's biggest stars, who transformed one small, English, county cricket club - Hampshire. 'Shane Warne: A Hampshire Love Story' looks at how Warne changed Hampshire Cricket Club, taking it from an unambitious and amateur run county, to one that consistently competed for trophies and rose up the cricketing pyramid."

I agree that it was a tad patronising to Hampshire and ignores the 1980s sides which won the Sunday League and runners up in 4 day with stars like Marshall, Gower, Greenidge, Smith bros, Terry combined with some local talent. Plus the 1973 title winning side - I don’t think Barry Richards, Peter Sainsbury and co would like being called amateur. The journalists’ perspective may come from the alleged heavy drinking culture in the late 1990s. Warne was rumoured to be part of that too but he instilled a professionalism and toughness with it plus investment from Rod and the new ground which made Hampshire one of the top established sides eventually and accustomed to winning trophies. The derbies with Sussex in the Adams/Mushtaq era were something to behold! In one of Peter Wiley’s match reports he cited a ‘Test Match’ intensity and atmosphere. He was no shrinking violet as a player so I bet he was enjoying it.

On a more practical level, Vince hasn’t really fired in the Bangladesh ODI series, only 38 in a dead rubber really. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So first game next week, is it me or is there absolutely no news or build up (maybe just used to PL hype), I’ve no idea who has played in friendlies, if they looked good, any surprising names, injuries etc, even Hampshires own website isn’t interested !!

Hoping for another good season, still an opener light and relying on dads army for the bowling but think we can be top 4. Limited overs will be interesting, look to have a good t20 team again with Benny Howell. Brave look weak this year so might give up bothering with that increasingly Micky mouse competition and focus on the 40 overs instead.

Got a feeling we will see more from Organ, Currie and Prest this year. Be surprised if Fuller can maintain last years level.

Also looking fwd to seeing a few evening major posts - never tire of that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hodgey said:

So first game next week, is it me or is there absolutely no news or build up (maybe just used to PL hype), I’ve no idea who has played in friendlies, if they looked good, any surprising names, injuries etc, even Hampshires own website isn’t interested !!

Hoping for another good season, still an opener light and relying on dads army for the bowling but think we can be top 4. Limited overs will be interesting, look to have a good t20 team again with Benny Howell. Brave look weak this year so might give up bothering with that increasingly Micky mouse competition and focus on the 40 overs instead.

Got a feeling we will see more from Organ, Currie and Prest this year. Be surprised if Fuller can maintain last years level.

Also looking fwd to seeing a few evening major posts - never tire of that.

No new faces for the two friendlies, well half a friendly anyway. Sussex was washed out totally and Glos didn't even make it past lunch on the second day. 

From the little play that actually took place ,not much to learn. Ben Brown made a ton, Prest looked OK and Middleton opened with Organ.

Bowling we got a good start and Abbott and Barker got decent figures. Wheal got absolutely spanked by Bracey so I hope we're not relying on him too much for the serious cricket.   Vince and Abbas didn't play against Glos.

• Like 1

I'm hoping Prest will be in the 1st team for the county championship.  I guess we'll start him at 5 or 6 but hopefully he can become our number 3, maybe we can elevate Gubbins to open if he does well and our current openers continue to struggle 

41 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I'm hoping Prest will be in the 1st team for the county championship.  I guess we'll start him at 5 or 6 but hopefully he can become our number 3, maybe we can elevate Gubbins to open if he does well and our current openers continue to struggle 

There was a game between Hants and Hants 2nd XI yesterday.  No real difference between the teams though but Gubbins and Weatherley opened for the nominal firsts with Middlleton and Organ opening for the nominal seconds. Prest batted at 4 for the firsts, Vince at 3. The firsts made 135/2 I think , but Gubbins retired on 33, I suppose to give someone else a go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Window Cleaner said:

There was a game between Hants and Hants 2nd XI yesterday.  No real difference between the teams though but Gubbins and Weatherley opened for the nominal firsts with Middlleton and Organ opening for the nominal seconds. Prest batted at 4 for the firsts, Vince at 3. The firsts made 135/2 I think , but Gubbins retired on 33, I suppose to give someone else a go.

I'd rather we keep Vince in his preferred 4 position, but would be happy with us giving that batting order a go.  Hopefully Weatherly has a good year as he has the ability, but has never shown much consistency.

Edited by Barsiem

2 balls into the new season and we dropped our first catch 😂 recovered well though and have notts 93-4 at lunch

No Prest in the team, but we do have Middleton down to open.  Good luck to him! He had a couple of decent knocks in the 50 over format last season 

Middleton steadied the ship today opening  - impressive for someone with so little experience, dare we hope he’s the opener we need.

it’s still a funny batting side - Vince aside there is little difference in run scoring from Organ opening down to Fuller at 9 - says as much about our top order as it does our tail. Let’s see what score they can put together in this innings

still can’t imagine many batters fancying Abbas, Abbott and Barker in April. 

1 hour ago, Hodgey said:

Surrey starting with another 400 plus first innings, carrying on where they left off last season, will take some stopping….

Don't see that we'll be concerned with the top places in the CC this season. The batting is as iffy as ever and our chaps are still getting out to awful shots.

Little snippet.  The wicket they are playing on is not the wicket originally prepared and had to be put together without full preparation.

The original prepared was a hybrid but it seems someone did not realise you cannot use a hybrid for a 4 day game! 

May be tricky later on.  Got this from one of the players and one of the coaches confirmed. No names but both senior members of the club.

Both captains would have batted first. They were both aware before the toss.

• Like 1

Perhaps, but the commentators on the live stream seemed to imply that they think that 150 might be hard to get batting fourth  on this wicket.

Bit of low bounce from time to time.

The BBC report this morning which I think is misleading.

Newly-promoted Nottinghamshire ended the day on 146-6 - with a lead of 100 on a pitch that is not getting harder to bat on.

Polished them off for 31 more runs. Need 132 to win in 5 and a bit sessions. Sensible batting should see us home, that said Organ has just been caught behind for a duck. I do wonder about his technique against quicks who can bowl a bit straight.

5 hours ago, Pilchards said:

100 behind with 4 wickets to get.

Happy with that.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Polished them off for 31 more runs. Need 132 to win in 5 and a bit sessions. Sensible batting should see us home, that said Organ has just been caught behind for a duck. I do wonder about his technique against quicks who can bowl a bit straight.

I really don’t see why he keeps getting selected. Such an average player with both bat and ball. It’s like playing with 10 at times. 

Why does Prest never seem to get a sniff at CC level? Surely cannot be any worse? 

• Like 1

On 08/04/2023 at 09:11, Window Cleaner said:

Job done fairly easily in the end.  Probably be third in the table after this round of games.  Surrey next, hoping for a better performance with the bat than last time at the Oval. Can't remember exactly how many we made but it wasn't a lot.

Didn't Hants get a grand total of one point in that match? A big reason why they finished top.

18 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Didn't Hants get a grand total of one point in that match? A big reason why they finished top.

Well, we got just the one bowling point because we only got 4 wickets in the  first 110 overs of their innings , made 223 in our first innings so that made 2 points total but got docked a point for slow over rate. Then we followed on and lost by an innings. Still they don't have Amla this season. 

Hampshire CC making saints fc look like a well oiled machine this morning. 

Originally tweeting saying we will bowl first, to then put another out saying, we’re batting (which we’re doing.. or at least trying to), we currently find ourselves 39/4. 

Organ still getting a run out. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Better hope for rain in this one. No idea why we can’t bat at the oval, but I don’t fancy us bowling them out for less than 250 so we need the tail to really wag.

Madness to chose to bat first

Surrey's new ball force is impressive. If you have a weak link at opener your whole top order will be exposed.

We have got the opening pair wrong again, Gubbins might as well open, he's usually facing within a few balls anyway. 

Dawson is way too high up the order, he should be batting at 6 or 7, he has no new ball technique. As for Vince, well he's always in a hurry isn't he, too much gig cricket I guess. Prest must be majorly hacked off. He can bat and yet he's on the sidelines whereas players who can't handle the new ball are getting a game

Edited by Window Cleaner
  • Like 1

They are a very good team, but this batting issue has been a problem for a while. When conditions are not favourable it seems like we have few batters who can tough it out.

Prest deserved a go, but we are still 2 openers light. Organ needs a rest but I’m unconvinced on Holland as an opener so lots of pressure on Middleton (started well).

Great recovery to be fair. 210/7, just lost brown for 95. Looked like a bit of a stinker to me.

Barker there on 40. 

Wicket looks to be be getting better, think well end up 50 or so runs short of par. 

Edited by Dman