Hampshire CCC 2023

Window Cleaner

Warwickshire v Essex on Thursday, Hampshire v Worcestershire, Somerset v Nottinghamshire and Lancashire v Surrey on Friday. Surprisingly, Sky not taking the opportunity to televise Surrey or Lancashire, with the Somerset game the TV pick.

17 hours ago, John B said:

After Hampshire beat Gloucs by 8 wickets Essex score a 6 on the last ball to beat Surrey and give Hampshire a home QF

Watched the end of the Essex game, tight finish from what looked to be a comfortable position. Could have gone either way really in the last couple of overs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevegrant said:

Warwickshire v Essex on Thursday, Hampshire v Worcestershire, Somerset v Nottinghamshire and Lancashire v Surrey on Friday. Surprisingly, Sky not taking the opportunity to televise Surrey or Lancashire, with the Somerset game the TV pick.

Hadn't appreciated how absolutely stacked the Lancashire team is this year, the timing of the competition seems to mean they have all their England white-ball players.

I think we've shown so far this year, that we can beat any team or lose to any team, doesn't seem to matter what is put in front of us.

We seem to have a nicely settled 11 now though, with Albert and Prest the only obvious choice to be made. Having Ellis and Turner is a joy to watch, and I'll never tire of Vince's batting

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Hadn't appreciated how absolutely stacked the Lancashire team is this year, the timing of the competition seems to mean they have all their England white-ball players.

I think we've shown so far this year, that we can beat any team or lose to any team, doesn't seem to matter what is put in front of us.

We seem to have a nicely settled 11 now though, with Albert and Prest the only obvious choice to be made. Having Ellis and Turner is a joy to watch, and I'll never tire of Vince's batting

Turner has been a very timely find, considering Brad Wheal's ongoing injury issues (and were he fit, we'd have probably lost him for the last few weeks to the Cricket World Cup qualifier anyway). A bit more consistency from those batting around Vince would be nice, just so he doesn't have to do it all every time :lol:

4 hours ago, stevegrant said:

Turner has been a very timely find, considering Brad Wheal's ongoing injury issues (and were he fit, we'd have probably lost him for the last few weeks to the Cricket World Cup qualifier anyway). A bit more consistency from those batting around Vince would be nice, just so he doesn't have to do it all every time :lol:

It’s hard to see where Wheal gets back into this team with the bowling options we’ve got at the moment. Batting, I’m happy enough with our openers and all rounders, it’s just the three in between we have questions over.

On 02/07/2023 at 18:09, Lighthouse said:

Turner 3-15 off 4 today. What a talent.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's a wild card pick for the Hundred. With some of Brave's pace bowlers off form could be an asset for them.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2023 at 20:18, Lighthouse said:

It’s hard to see where Wheal gets back into this team with the bowling options we’ve got at the moment. Batting, I’m happy enough with our openers and all rounders, it’s just the three in between we have questions over.

Suspect next summer might see Wheal playing games instead of Chris Wood. Numbers have tailed off pretty sharply this season, and with Wheal being on an all-formats contract it makes sense for us to actually use him.

9 hours ago, stevegrant said:

Suspect next summer might see Wheal playing games instead of Chris Wood. Numbers have tailed off pretty sharply this season, and with Wheal being on an all-formats contract it makes sense for us to actually use him.

Wood's contract is just for this year, for white-ball only, so I suspect we'll keep an eye on Wheal's recovery, and either bring Wood back for another year if needed or let him go entirely next year.

On 04/07/2023 at 09:38, Picard said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he's a wild card pick for the Hundred. With some of Brave's pace bowlers off form could be an asset for them.

Turner was first pick but goes to the Rockets.

A blow to Hants for the One Day Cup.

17 minutes ago, Picard said:

Turner was first pick but goes to the Rockets.

A blow to Hants for the One Day Cup.

Wow good for him! Apparently they are trying to manage his workload due to injuries so the shorter game will suit compared to 50 over games (sadly for Hampshire).

If he carries on like this he'll be in international teams soon enough, although I suspect that'll be for SA

Excellent bowling again, couple of scares but comfortable chase. Turner looked excellent again - what a player to burst in the scenes like he has.

All the teams in the South group through which will make it a bit interesting with teams who know each other. If I recall we hammered Essex and Surrey, beat Essex and Somerset, lost to Surrey and got hammered by Somerset. So overall you would take that as positive with nothing to fear. Also shows how well Hampshire have done to get there - playing all the finalists twice in the group stages.

• Like 1

Looked a crap pitch for a quarter-final, to be honest, nobody seemed to be able to time their shots properly all night, but we got the job done, so all good :toppa:

Semi-finals are already pre-determined, Somerset v Surrey, Essex v Hampshire. Think they'll be announcing which one's played first tonight or tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

Looked a crap pitch for a quarter-final, to be honest, nobody seemed to be able to time their shots properly all night, but we got the job done, so all good :toppa:

Semi-finals are already pre-determined, Somerset v Surrey, Essex v Hampshire. Think they'll be announcing which one's played first tonight or tomorrow.

Four Southern Teams in the Semis

47 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Awesome bowling, even if the wicket was a little dubious. Thought we’d skittle them for 50 at one point. 7 of their batsmen got 4 runs between them.

Agreed re the bowling - all of them in it apart from Daws who they went after as the only one they could. Roll on the 15th will be a good day out!

Edited by Toadhall Saint
Fat fingers

1 hour ago, stevegrant said:

How's that decided, by drawing of lots? That's the only fair way, since the team winning the first match has an advantage of resting before the final.

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The “evening major” gag was funny the first couple of times. The 150th time it really isn’t. 

What a lovely position to be in that we can moan about winning so much!

I said earlier in the season, might be the only time in my life I’ve seen a team I support play as reigning champion of the competition they’re in 

30 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

I said earlier in the season, might be the only time in my life I’ve seen a team I support play as reigning champion of the competition they’re in 

Incorrect. Johnstone’s Paint Trophy 2010/11 season 

Our batting is definitely fragile, albeit it's improved slightly as the competition has progressed.  Our bowling and Vince are going to be vital next Saturday - from memory I don't think Vince has a great finals day record?

We now also have the most final appearances of any county, and could get a couple more records if we win next week - most victories by a single county & first to win back-to-back tournaments.  Somerset must be favourites, and maybe Surrey after them, but we're more than capable.  Bring it on!

13 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

How's that decided, by drawing of lots? That's the only fair way, since the team winning the first match has an advantage of resting before the final.

Nothing as fair as that, sadly. Some sort of committee convenes and decides which would be best for logistics - no idea what they care about in this instance, really, especially this year when all 4 teams are coming from the south.

5 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Our batting is definitely fragile, albeit it's improved slightly as the competition has progressed.  Our bowling and Vince are going to be vital next Saturday - from memory I don't think Vince has a great finals day record?

We now also have the most final appearances of any county, and could get a couple more records if we win next week - most victories by a single county & first to win back-to-back tournaments.  Somerset must be favourites, and maybe Surrey after them, but we're more than capable.  Bring it on!

Somserset probably favourites on the basis of having won 13 of 15 games this year, but beyond that it's up in the air. Would actually make us second favourites - a team full of players who know how to win this tournament in crunch moments, and while Surrey have all the names, they also have to play Somerset in the semi-final.

13 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

I remember seeing the County Champions pennant flying in 1962 at Northlands Road a number of times when I was 16 years old

Does that Flag or a similar one after the addition of Durham still exist?

On 24/06/2023 at 12:29, Weston Saint said:

Unlikely to see Turner in the Championship yet. I am told he is carrying a slight niggling injury and whilst no problem bowling a few overs, they will protect him from long tough spells. One for the future.

In the squad for the championship match tomorrow. Really hope he doesn't play. Save him for the finals.

On 24/06/2023 at 11:29, Weston Saint said:

Unlikely to see Turner in the Championship yet. I am told he is carrying a slight niggling injury and whilst no problem bowling a few overs, they will protect him from long tough spells. One for the future.

Does anyone know the eligibility of Turner playing for England? How long etc? 

Given we previously fast tracked the likes of KP, Archer etc I do wonder if we have 1 eye on how he performs at CC level..

5 hours ago, Dman said:

Does anyone know the eligibility of Turner playing for England? How long etc? 

Given we previously fast tracked the likes of KP, Archer etc I do wonder if we have 1 eye on how he performs at CC level..

He is an English qualified player according to ESPN Cricket  Spoke to him on Friday but I did not ask him that question!. Nice young lad. Shame he is going to the 100 instead of playing in Domestic 50 over.  Also had a long conversation with Nathen Ellis who thinks Turner will be a phenomenal player. Ellis spent about 15 minutes with us at a table chatting about all things. Not considering Red Ball cricket at present.

Edited by Weston Saint

11 hours ago, Andrew Watson said:

Ron,why does Donald barely get a look in,has Brown got it in his contract that he has to play every county game.     Andy

Donald is reserve keeper and to be honest he has not shone in the 2nds to justify inclusion ahead of Brown who, whilst having a below average season with the bat is still first choice.

Donald was seen by senior club officials as an exciting prospect who had the ability, at that time, to progress to a Test Player.  Sadly his injuries set him back and his progress since has been disappointing. He needs to show he is worthy of a place in the first team as a batter.  

19 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Vince demostrating his England credentials by dropping a catch.

Proven a very costly drop, too. Aldridge was on 8 at the time, and went on to make 88.

Vince has also just dropped a tougher chance from Rew at slip off Dawson, just before he got to his century.

Frustrating, as there seems to be very little in the pitch after that early burst from Abbott yesterday morning, so we need to be taking the limited chances that come our way.

Their bowling attack is much depleted in this game, they've rested Gregory, Overton, Davey and Henry ahead of Finals Day, plus keeper Kohler-Cadmore, so against a second-string attack our top order have really got to capitalise.