RIP David Crosby

sadoldgit

The Byrds are really under appreciated in this country, really talented band.  WhIlst CSN & CSNY relied on Stephen Still’s brilliance with Young adding the much needed grit to the mix, Croz’s vocal and harmonies were an important part of the mix. The first CSN album & Déjà Vu are still played regularly in the Duck house. A summers day, the first few bars of Suite Judy Blue Eyes or Carry on kick in, fantastic….

Iconic figure, really lived the lifestyle as well as singing about it. He’s also been humble and entertaining on Twitter the past few years. Surprised he made it to 60, let alone 80….RIP

12 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Sadly these rock icons of our early years are leaving the stage one by one. But they leave us with such wonderful memories. It makes you wonder what the kids of today are going to reminisce about in 60 years time.

If my kids and grand children are anything to go by, they’ll be listening  to the same stuff we are.

I never tried to ram my music down their throats as I thought it important they found their own likes (my old man tried to get me into modern jazz, unsuccessfully). My son started watching the Peter Jackson Get Back and is into the Beatles big time, my Grand daughters (from a different son) got into them after watching that “yesterday” film, and Rumours is my daughters current favourite album she’s playing all the time and she’s starting to take an interest in The Band.

The great thing about Spotify/Apple music type apps is they can experiment, search and find stuff without wasting a fortune on shite. The great stuff comes to them without necessarily being on the radio, they’re very lucky in that respect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If my kids and grand children are anything to go by, they’ll be listening  to the same stuff we are.

I never tried to ram my music down their throats as I thought it important they found their own likes (my old man tried to get me into modern jazz, unsuccessfully). My son started watching the Peter Jackson Get Back and is into the Beatles big time, my Grand daughters (from a different son) got into them after watching that “yesterday” film, and Rumours is my daughters current favourite album she’s playing all the time and she’s starting to take an interest in The Band.

The great thing about Spotify/Apple music type apps is they can experiment, search and find stuff without wasting a fortune on shite. The great stuff comes to them without necessarily being on the radio, they’re very lucky in that respect. 

The kids of today have it easy when it come to listening to music. Not for them the trauma of a Sunday evening after your weekly bath time struggling to listen to Radio Luxembourg through the static and fade outs.

We’d save up our pocket money to be able to buy 45 rpm single of your favourite group for six shillings and eightpence. The record shops had booths so you could give the latest single a listen before buying it.

Great to hear that your youngsters are listening to music. Better than staring at a video game for hours.

Bit before my time but like quite a bit of his stuff, particularly "Southern Cross", perfect summer song.  Always thought it was about lynching in the south but turns out it's about a boat.  I need to get some CSN on the jukebox.

Subject of how music is accessible is interesting.  On the one hand you've got pretty much anything ever recorded within your grasp but on the other, it's hard to know where to start.  I bet anyone over a certain age remembers their devotion to the charts and would know exactly what the top 10 was but it seems largely irrelevant now.  Does anyone still follow it?  Similarly TV programmes like TOTP and The Tube although I suppose there's still Jools Holland.  Same with the music press - no one buys magazines/papers anymore and whilst a lot is online it's the same as with streaming services - lots of content but almost too much.

Radio stations are probably the last bastion of traditional music consumption but with internet radio even that can be overwhelming.

Also a lack of definitive movements that define decades - loads and loads of diversity which is a good thing but I kind of miss the tribal elements of music.  Obviously still exists but to a lesser extent.

Probably me getting older.

22 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The kids of today have it easy when it come to listening to music. Not for them the trauma of a Sunday evening after your weekly bath time struggling to listen to Radio Luxembourg through the static and fade outs.

We’d save up our pocket money to be able to buy 45 rpm single of your favourite group for six shillings and eightpence. The record shops had booths so you could give the latest single a listen before buying it.

Great to hear that your youngsters are listening to music. Better than staring at a video game for hours.

Used to spend hours in record booths trying to decide on which album to buy next with what little money I had to spend. My mate was into CS&N so I got to hear the first two albums a lot at his house whilst I was spending my paper round money on Deep Purple, ELP, Yes and Genesis so he would come round to ours to listen to them. Strange now to have everything on my phone but sadly I think music has lost a lot of its allure and romance now that it is so widely and instantly available. As crap as vinyl was (god knows how many times I had to take a record back to the shop because it was scratched and getting up to turn the record over every 20 mins was a faff) the album covers were an integral part of the music experience, something now lost through streaming. The 60’s and 70’s was such a wonderful era for music and the creative arts in general and I feel grateful for growing up in those times. David Crosby is yet another legend from that period to pass following Jeff Beck not so long ago. So sad to see heroes from your youth gradually leaving the stage.

• Like 1