Pound for pound - best/worst players

Crab Lungs

33 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

I often wonder how that final would have gone if we’d made use of Martin Cáceres instead of playing Stephens. Such a weird signing, had a half decent CV too.

Edit: just adding to the theme of crap signings, Patrick Colleter is one that always stands out for me.

If I remember rightly Caceres started one game and looked class. 6 serie a winners, la liga winner, champions league winner and kept out of our team by Jack frigging Stephens then released at the end of the season. This club is nuts 

• Like 2

Van Dijk has got to be right up there in terms of talent, production, value for money and profit made. 

If he didn’t get injured by Vardy then he would have won a trophy with us too, there’s no way Ibra gets a free header 6 yards out with with him on the pitch that’s for sure. 

It was clear from very early on that he was far too good to be playing for us. Everything he did looked effortless. There were times under Puel that he could have played any outfield position on the pitch and still been our best player. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

I often wonder how that final would have gone if we’d made use of Martin Cáceres instead of playing Stephens.

Probably much, much worse; he hadn’t played a competitive game for over a year when we played the cup final and was only ever trusted with a run out against the worst attack in the league, away at Boro in the penultimate game with nothing to play for.

I also don’t buy this confidence some people have that we’d have won a trophy with Fonte and Virgil. Sure, they were better players but both played the full 90 in our trip to OT earlier in the year and we lost, comfortably. United cruised to a 2-0 win in second gear.

26 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Probably much, much worse; he hadn’t played a competitive game for over a year when we played the cup final and was only ever trusted with a run out against the worst attack in the league, away at Boro in the penultimate game with nothing to play for.

I also don’t buy this confidence some people have that we’d have won a trophy with Fonte and Virgil. Sure, they were better players but both played the full 90 in our trip to OT earlier in the year and we lost, comfortably. United cruised to a 2-0 win in second gear.

Probably much much worse?

this is a guy that has won 116 caps for Uruguay with whom he won the copa America. played in serie A and la liga for 15 won 7 titles in those leagues and a champions league title and you’re seriously saying he’d be “much much worse” than Jack frigging Stephens currently on loan at Bournemouth 😂😂😂😂😂😂

i know you love to toe the line with what you’re told but fuck me this is something special 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Probably much much worse?

this is a guy that has won 116 caps for Uruguay with whom he won the copa America. played in serie A and la liga for 15 won 7 titles in those leagues and a champions league title and you’re seriously saying he’d be “much much worse” than Jack frigging Stephens currently on loan at Bournemouth 😂😂😂😂😂😂

i know you love to toe the line with what you’re told but fuck me this is something special 

So, you're litterally just ignoring the 'not played a game of competitive football for over a year' bit then? Righty ho.

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

So, you're litterally just ignoring the 'not played a game of competitive football for over a year' bit then? Righty ho.

Stephens only made his premier league debut a month before the final. Still not sure how a player who’d at the time won 5 top level league titles, a champions league and over 60 international caps would do “much much worse” than a player with a month of premier league football under his belt And six years later still looks miles off being a competitive premier league player. Righty ho

Edited by Turkish

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Stephens only made his premier league debut a month before the final. Still not sure how a player who’d at the time won 5 top level league titles, a champions league and over 60 international caps would do “much much worse” than a player with a month of premier league football under his belt And six years later still looks miles off being a competitive premier league player. 

The cup final was Stephens' tenth competitive game in two months. I've never rated him as a player but if nothing else is true he was obviously match fit, unlike Caceres.

9 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The cup final was Stephens' tenth competitive game in two months. I've never rated him as a player but if nothing else is true he was obviously match fit, unlike Caceres.

Im still not sure how you equate a proven winner who’d spent his entire career at the very top level as being a “much much worse” option in a cup final than a kid who had played 10 games in two months and six years later still not convinced as a centre back and can’t get into a team that’s bottom of the premier league 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Caceres wasn’t match fit because he never got given a chance here. 

It was truly fucking mental. He was decent after he left us as well. Quality player that was absolutely wasted. 

• Like 3

I’d love to know what really went on with Caceres. Yes, he’d been injured before he got to us but after leaving us he went on to play another 100+ games in Italy. Just bizarre. There’s a story there I’m sure. Jack Stephens though, fuck me.

46 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I’d love to know what really went on with Caceres. Yes, he’d been injured before he got to us but after leaving us he went on to play another 100+ games in Italy. Just bizarre. There’s a story there I’m sure. Jack Stephens though, fuck me.

Think the story is he was signed as cover on the basis of getting paid per game played, guess he thought he would walk into our team having regained his fitness. But that season the relegation threat was low, and Saints didn't appear to have a long term plan for him and he obviously wanted a more lucrative contract so he wasn't worth paying to play.

6 hours ago, HnycS said:

Think the story is he was signed as cover on the basis of getting paid per game played, guess he thought he would walk into our team having regained his fitness. But that season the relegation threat was low, and Saints didn't appear to have a long term plan for him and he obviously wanted a more lucrative contract so he wasn't worth paying to play.

He was/is better than Stephens. We got to a cup final right? 

9 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

It was truly fucking mental. He was decent after he left us as well. Quality player that was absolutely wasted. 

In the week between signing and the cup final.

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

In the week between signing and the cup final.

I still would have rather seen him play than Stephens. 

Maybe then we wouldn’t have had to witness our two centre backs both yards away marking thing air while Ibrahimovic has a free header 6 yards out to score the winner. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Maybe then we wouldn’t have had to witness our two centre backs both yards away marking thing air while Ibrahimovic has a free header 6 yards out to score the winner. 

Agreed. That’s the thing with experienced quality players. Even if they’re lacking a bit of fitness and sharpness they know where to be and what to do. Stephens even now still doesn’t have that in his locker. 

35 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

I can guarantee Cacaeres wouldn’t have let Ibra have that head because there’s no way he’d still be on the pitch after 86 minutes. He’d have been dragged off at half time with steam coming out of his backside. He ruptured his Achilles plying for Juve, he wouldn’t even have trained for 6 months after that. Players coming back from those kinds of injuries make 20 minute substitute appearances and usually look well off the pace, not 95 minutes in a cup final.

On 02/04/2023 at 00:21, AlexLaw76 said:

He was/is better than Stephens. We got to a cup final right? 

Agreed, yes. But as pointed out he was only really viable after the FA cup, we would have seen him in the event of injury or a dramatic drop in league form.

On 02/04/2023 at 00:56, Osvaldorama said:

He was quality against middlesbrough. he was also incredible in the U21s when I went to watch him at st mary’s. why was he playing for them i’ll never know 😂

same game vs united I think that boufal was playing and got sent off for handbags with a literal kid.