Pound for pound - best/worst players

Crab Lungs

Obviously, no real set rules here but I was just thinking who pound for pound has been Saints best and worst players in the last few years? (Free transfers included, as wages were still paid!) 

Aside from academy players, what’s the best and worst value we’ve got with some of our signings? They’ll defo be some positive and negative suggestions here I’m sure.

First couple - Lambert, 2m. Schniederlin, 1m. 

Would even say players like Bertrand too; had his best years with us and really, was bought for a snip.

On the negative side - Hoedt, Vestergaard, Carillo, Elyounoussi.

Theres plenty more, but I’ll hand it over so everyone can have a turn!

Edited by Crab Lungs

20 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I dont want to believe it, but Tall Paul could be......

🥲

Tall Paul or Carillo off the bench? Nothing in it for me - both shocking bits of business. 

Clasie deserves an honourable mention. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I dont want to believe it, but Tall Paul could be......

🥲

He absolutely will be. You can just tell a couple of our signings were panic signings to appease the fan base. No one knows how they fit in our system but we got them so SR could tick those positions off on their shopping list.

25 minutes ago, egg said:

Tall Paul or Carillo off the bench? Nothing in it for me - both shocking bits of business. 

Clasie deserves an honourable mention. 

I don’t think Claise was as bad as made out. He wasn’t great by any means but he only cost £6m and did play 22 of our 38 league the season we can sixth. 

Carillo has to be ahead of Tall Paul at the moment. TP looks shite but it’s early day. Carillo was awful. Our record signing played about 8 times did nothing and we had to pay him to leave. It’s going to take some going to beat that, but he’s got a chance. 

• Like 4

Excellent - Lambert, Fonte, Pahars, Claus, Bertrand, Beattie, Kevin Davies, Niemi

Good - S Davis, A Svensson, Ostenstad, Ings (yes he was 18m but his goal return was superb), Rasiak, Marsden, Stern John, Guly

Bad - Carillo, Hoedt, Delgado, Forren, Osvaldo

Edited by woodsaint1

Bargain team (not including academy and loans)

Boruc

Clyne Fonte Richards Bertrand

Morgan Marsden

Kachloul Davis Pahars

Beattie

They saw us coming:

Gunn

Nilsson Powell* Hoedt Van Damme

Elyounoussi Delap Clasie

Onuachu Delgado Carrillo

*I know he was free. I consider this to be overpriced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Bob76 said:

Fonte has to be up there with one of the best of recent times.

Fonte was a brilliant signing. He was quality in the lower leagues and whilst in the premier league he was pretty much always the second best in the central defensive partnership he was the leader at the back every team needs. We've never replaced him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I don’t think Claise was as bad as made out. He wasn’t great by any means but he only cost £6m and did play 22 of our 38 league the season we can sixth. 

Carillo has to be ahead of Tall Paul at the moment. TP looks shite but it’s early day. Carillo was awful. Our record signing played about 8 times did nothing and we had to pay him to leave. It’s going to take some going to beat that, but he’s got a chance. 

Doesn't Claise hold some sort of record for us, highest percentage of wins per games played or something? Never quite looked the part but must have been effective

1 hour ago, spyinthesky said:

Did Rupert agree to pay £1m for FourPast?

Dixon & Speedie deserve a dishonourable mention, bought with the money received for Shearer

Kevin Keegan and Shiton were very decent buys also Ivan Golac

I think Forecast was free but in exchange for us cancelling any future payments owed on Bale or something like that.

Remember the famous line

"dixon and Speedie will score more than Alan Shearer this season"

They got 1 between them Shearer got 22

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Wurzel said:

Doesn't Claise hold some sort of record for us, highest percentage of wins per games played or something? Never quite looked the part but must have been effective

Not sure about that but i always thought he was a bit unlucky. Got injured on his debut and was out for a while so never really got up to speed in his first season, then Koeman went and it was clear Puel didn't fancy him in his system. I dont think he was as bad as people remember especially considering he was cheap.

Juanmi, signed the same summer i think for £5m so only £1m less, never played. Sold. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Bargain team (not including academy and loans)

Boruc

Clyne Fonte Richards Bertrand

Morgan Marsden

Kachloul Davis Pahars

Beattie

They saw us coming:

Gunn

Nilsson Powell* Hoedt Van Damme

Elyounoussi Delap Clasie

Onuachu Delgado Carrillo

*I know he was free. I consider this to be overpriced.

Niemi cost us £3m but worth every penny. And Anders Svennsson for under a million has to be in there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

Obviously, no real set rules here but I was just thinking who pound for pound has been Saints best and worst players in the last few years? (Free transfers included, as wages were still paid!) 

Aside from academy players, what’s the best and worst value we’ve got with some of our signings? They’ll defo be some positive and negative suggestions here I’m sure.

First couple - Lambert, 2m. Schniederlin, 1m. 

Would even say players like Bertrand too; had his best years with us and really, was bought for a snip.

On the negative side - Hoedt, Vestergaard, Carillo, Elyounoussi.

Theres plenty more, but I’ll hand it over so everyone can have a turn!

Think there are some good contenders for both good and bad in this post and below. 

I know Mohamed Elyounoussi is not great and fans love to slag him off, but objectively think he was about 15m?? Not fortune at the time, and has played 71 times for us in prem. More than pelle, lallana, cork, mane etc. (albeit not as well!!) but for a player with some value still, not a waste of money

7 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

Think there are some good contenders for both good and bad in this post and below. 

I know Mohamed Elyounoussi is not great and fans love to slag him off, but objectively think he was about 15m?? Not fortune at the time, and has played 71 times for us in prem. More than pelle, lallana, cork, mane etc. (albeit not as well!!) but for a player with some value still, not a waste of money

Christ that is depressing. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Transfermarkt puts the Clasie fee at €15m. If it was £6m then fair enough, that's reasonable value.

I honestly think Carillo would offer no less than tall Paul. That's not praise for Carillo btw, just my view that they're equally shit. 

Lemina deserves a mention. Great talent, but appalling attitude. 

• Like 1

Two of the best value player in my opinion are Tim Flowers and Mark Wright.

Flowers was bought for 70k and really blossomed 😇 whilst with us, eventually moving on for 2.4 million. 

Wrighty was a make weight when we bought Keith Cassells (remember him?) so effectively free. Another one who was highly successful for us and garnered a decent fee when he moved on.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, egg said:

Transfermarkt puts the Clasie fee at €15m. If it was £6m then fair enough, that's reasonable value.

I honestly think Carillo would offer no less than tall Paul. That's not praise for Carillo btw, just my view that they're equally shit. 

Lemina deserves a mention. Great talent, but appalling attitude. 

Reported by sky at £8m according to this, although Im sure I remember it being reported elsewhere as lower, as remember thinking it was a great deal for what was at the time a highly rated player. could be wrong though 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9914329/jordy-clasie-joins-southampton-on-five-year-contract

scott Marshall has to get a mention. £500k which was fairly expensive for us at the time, considered a coup, played twice we conceded 7 in those games two of them were own goals by him and he never played for us again. 

Edited by Turkish

From the (black and white) archives : Ron Davies, John McGrath, Jimmy Gabriel.

Then; Alan Ball, Jimmy Case, 

1976 Edition - Peter Rodrigues, Mel Blyth, David Peach

1990's : Dean Richards

More recent: Lambert, Fonte Schneiderlin

Worst

Carillo probably tops the list, but others in the hall of shame are Forren, Hoedt.

Longer memory shit signings - Dixon, Speedie, Mark Hughes .... and if we can include free's in the good signings then I'd add Scott Marshall OG in the worst.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Badger said:

From the (black and white) archives : Ron Davies, John McGrath, Jimmy Gabriel.

Then; Alan Ball, Jimmy Case, 

1976 Edition - Peter Rodrigues, Mel Blyth, David Peach

1990's : Dean Richards

More recent: Lambert, Fonte Schneiderlin

Worst

Carillo probably tops the list, but others in the hall of shame are Forren, Hoedt.

Longer memory shit signings - Dixon, Speedie, Mark Hughes .... and if we can include free's in the good signings then I'd add Scott Marshall OG in the worst.

David Armstrong is perhaps the best ever return on a large investment - £600,000 in 1981. He scored 59 goals in 222 league appearances from midfield and was at the heart of the side that came close to doing the double in 83/84

• Like 2

VVD for 13 million and sold for 75 is something pretty incredible.

Probably the best defender I have seen us have and arguably one of the best all round players. It's crazy he was with us for as long as he was because you could see he was way too good for us after about 3 games.

Honourable mention to Mane too. Mental how little we sold him for.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

VVD for 13 million and sold for 75 is something pretty incredible.

Probably the best defender I have seen us have and arguably one of the best all round players. It's crazy he was with us for as long as he was because you could see he was way too good for us after about 3 games.
Honourable mention to Mane too. Mental how little we sold him for.

Regards Mane--fans were just pleased to get rid. Some said on this forum they would be pleased to 'drive him up there'

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

Reported by sky at £8m according to this, although Im sure I remember it being reported elsewhere as lower, as remember thinking it was a great deal for what was at the time a highly rated player. could be wrong though 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9914329/jordy-clasie-joins-southampton-on-five-year-contract

scott Marshall has to get a mention. £500k which was fairly expensive for us at the time, considered a coup, played twice we conceded 7 in those games two of them were own goals by him and he never played for us again. 

One of Marshall’s own goals came off his arse. 

24 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Regards Mane--fans were just pleased to get rid. Some said on this forum they would be pleased to 'drive him up there'

Really?  I find that hard to believe.  I've got a memory of Les Reed feeding his pet journalist (Wallace at the Telegraph?) the line that we were "relaxed" or comfortable about the Mane situation - only for him to go a few days later.  I'd be surprised though if more than one 'fan' said they'd drive him up there. 

Morgan Schneiderlin for me. We obviously saw something in him to gamble around 1.2m Euro on him as a teenager, then had the pleasure of watching him blossom through our march back up the divisions into one of the best central midfielders in the Premier League. Even when his head got turned he carried on delivering excellent performances and left the club with the blessing of most fans - I personally was pleased to see him get a chance at a big club and play for France - although sadly I don't think he ever scaled the same heights he reached in that 2013-15 period for us. Brilliant player.

Honorary mention for Steven Davis, who since around 2008 has quietly gone about his business as one of the most dependable and consistent midfielders in the game. He proved that he absolutely could cut it in the Premier League with us, continues to play a part for Rangers even at age 38, and just seems a lovely man to have around any club he plays for. He was a great signing for Saints.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

I don’t remember anyone saying that but he wanted away , turned up late and got dropped plus only tried hard when Saints were playing one of the clubs he might move to.

Not sure why people are so down on tall Paul. 

• He's had limited opportunities
  • He's had zero service when he has played
  • He hasn't been tried up front in a pair with Che

So, on that basis, my jury is still out. If the criticism is he doesn't fit our crappy narrow system, that's a different discussion, and he can't be blamed for that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

So, on that basis, my jury is still out. If the criticism is he doesn't fit our crappy narrow system, that's a different discussion, and he can't be blamed for that.

that wont work.

Best - Case, Adams, Flowers, Hall,  Katchoul, Richards, Clyde, Beattie, Schneiderlin, Marsden, Lambert, Mane, VVD, Tadic, Svenssonsx2, 

Worst: Delap, McLaughlin, Osvaldo, Delgado and his mate, Van dam, Crainey, Moi, A Armstrong, Forren, Marshall, Dixon, Speedie, Quashie, Bernard

52 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Best - Case, Adams, Flowers, Hall,  Katchoul, Richards, Clyde, Beattie, Schneiderlin, Marsden, Lambert, Mane, VVD, Tadic, Svenssonsx2, 

Worst: Delap, McLaughlin, Osvaldo, Delgado and his mate, Van dam, Crainey, Moi, A Armstrong, Forren, Marshall, Dixon, Speedie, Quashie, Bernard

Um, no Clown's donkey?

Surely pound for pound our worst signing ever.

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

At this stage if his Saints career Peter Crouch was rated about the same.

• Like 2