The Mark Cavendish appreciation thread

Winnersaint

Cav has announced his retirement at the end of the season. There cant be many British sports people who are arguably the GOAT within their sport. 53 grand tour wins and a rainbow jersey. A real sportsman who is never slow appreciate and articulate the value of role of his teammates in his victories.

My favourite Cav moment was of stage 18 in 2012 to Brive-La-Gaillarde. A break up the road with Luis Leon Sanchez, Nico Roche and Adam Hansen amongst others in it. With the peloton chasing hard Wiggins does a huge turn for Cav and puts him within striking range while Roche and Sanchez head towards the line. Edvald Boasson leads Cav out into the final few hundred metres still with plenty to do. The speed at which Cav went past the pair out front to win sticks in the memory as possibly the fastest thing I've ever seen on a bike. I thought at the time that Sanchez was so shocked he was going to fall off his bike.

Edited by Winnersaint

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Very excited for the start of the greatest sporting event of the year tomorrow.

Hopefully Cav will do it, the last stage of the Giro gives me hope he can grab the historic stage win he needs but it will be tough as there's a lot of excellent sprinters in the race and it's going to be unbelievably hectic in the sprints.

Feel fortunate to have seen him win a sprint live back in his early days when the Tour of Britain came to Southampton and he blasted past everyone by Hoglands Park to take the stage.