Job Applications

The Cat

Must be some other people on here who have to read through applications and paper sift for interviews?

I'm currently wading through 133 for a role in my team and some of them are so bad they are making me cry with laughter.

So far my favourite is the person whose whole application of one paragraph is based on them being able to walk to work because they currently have to get a bus which drops them off 30 minutes too early and that means they then spend "half an hour doing nothing."

• Haha 1

never ceases to amaze me the poor quality cvs and applications people put in. Problem now it is too easy to apply without much effort but then they don’t apply the same little effort required to ask ChatGPT to write a cv for……

I have recruited many people in my time and sifted through thousands of applications, majority have been good appointments but a few howlers which have reflected on. 

Although now do far fewer interviews as my managers tend to do them. But my advice to them is have a healthy cynicism and dismiss the sales pitch and and superficial confidence and dig for substance. Although realise you have asked about shortlisting. If they are a bloke and don’t like football there is something weird about them. 

2 hours ago, whelk said:

never ceases to amaze me the poor quality cvs and applications people put in. Problem now it is too easy to apply without much effort but then they don’t apply the same little effort required to ask ChatGPT to write a cv for……

I have recruited many people in my time and sifted through thousands of applications, majority have been good appointments but a few howlers which have reflected on. 

Although now do far fewer interviews as my managers tend to do them. But my advice to them is have a healthy cynicism and dismiss the sales pitch and and superficial confidence and dig for substance. Although realise you have asked about shortlisting. If they are a bloke and don’t like football there is something weird about them. 

There were some applications with literally 1 or 2 lines in the "reasons for applying" section. It would have taken a reasonable amount of time to fill out all the education and previous work history, only for them to then just write 20 words at the end.

Then I remembered most of the applicants live in Portsmouth so I was lucky they weren't all written in crayon.

No one mentioned football on their application so the shortlisting will be tough. There was a hockey player and a someone who walks 4 miles a day which was about as sporty as it got. Again, it's Portsmouth so not unusual.

I remember reading a CV once where a guy listed one of his attributes as having steely blue eyes

I also heard a story about a former colleague who appealed a decision when she didn’t get a job offer then sent the company an invoice for her travel expenses to get to the interview 

• Haha 1