The Other Adam

Charlie Wayman

Did anybody catch the piece on Radio Solent this morning in which Adam Blackmore was interviewed about his lifelong weight problem and associated worries about self worth Compelling and moving, Adam laid bare his real life beyond the radio mic and his emotional problems stemming from childhood with acceptance and bullying because of his body weight and hair colour.

If you didn't catch it then try to find a link through BBC Sounds. It is simultaneously fascinating and harrowing but should not be missed by any Saints fan. 

I promise you you will see Adam Blackmore from now on in an entirely different light. 

• Like 2

Love Adam. We're very lucky to have him, I don't agree with everything he says but he's become the voice of Saints. A total professional too, you only have to look at Saints 6-1 win over Villa (his actual team) to realise this. You'd never know he was a Villa fan from that commentary!

• Like 6

Adam is a good bloke, just wish he wouldn’t take so long to announce whether or not a shot had actually gone in or been saved. 

“Lambert shoots… oh and would you believe it? It was a powerful shot and it looked for all money it was going in, until the keeper made a wonderful dive to his left and tried to save it but it still went in eventually! 1-0”

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, niceandfriendly said:

Adam is a good bloke, just wish he wouldn’t take so long to announce whether or not a shot had actually gone in or been saved. 

“Lambert shoots… oh and would you believe it? It was a powerful shot and it looked for all money it was going in, until the keeper made a wonderful dive to his left and tried to save it but it still went in eventually! 1-0”

I agree that if he is only now announcing if one of Lambert's shots went in, that is far too long!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Worse one for me was Brighton away in league one. He said nothing at all about the freekick that was played forward for the winner, the only commentary we got was him calmly saying "the balls come into the box, and Fonte heads it back towards the keeper"...and then screaming "oh my word and it's gone in! A looping header from Fonte which baffled the keeper leads to an extraordinary end to the game here" - at this point I was raging thinking he'd scored an own goal, storming around the living room - "and Jose Fonte runs into the crowd" - wait what? - "who go mad, Southampton lead!".

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Worse one for me was Brighton away in league one. He said nothing at all about the freekick that was played forward for the winner, the only commentary we got was him calmly saying "the balls come into the box, and Fonte heads it back towards the keeper"...and then screaming "oh my word and it's gone in! A looping header from Fonte which baffled the keeper leads to an extraordinary end to the game here" - at this point I was raging thinking he'd scored an own goal, storming around the living room - "and Jose Fonte runs into the crowd" - wait what? - "who go mad, Southampton lead!".

I remember this! It was an absolutely huge game. Utter confusion as no TV coverage or streaming - this "WTF is going on" would happen all the time in those L1 days relying on commentary. 

• Like 2