Our Remaining 2023 Fixtures

east-stand-nic

58 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

It really needs to be 51, but I would not die if we ended up with 49. If we can finish second, great. But if not us, I want Leeds second, and Ipswich with us in the playoffs. If the two of us finish 3rd and 4th, we might meet in the final.

If we're on 51 points on NYE then we'll be third for sure.

We've got 2 "easy" home games, Leeds have two tough away ties (at annoying TV times for them as well). Difficult to see them winning both. If they do then Christ this is the hardest Championship season of all time to escape from.

Edited by CB Fry

On 29/10/2023 at 08:19, Saint_clark said:

Millwall v Southampton - lose
Southampton v West Bromwich Albion - draw
Huddersfield Town v Southampton - win
Southampton v Bristol City - draw
Southampton v Cardiff City - win
Watford v Southampton - draw
Coventry City v Southampton - win
Southampton v Blackburn Rovers - lose
Queens Park Rangers v Southampton - lose
Southampton v Swansea City - draw
Southampton v Plymouth Argyle - win

16 points. Predictions based on typical Saints inconsistency, not what I think will happen. 

24 points so far with Plymouth at home to come. Like us all you must be delighted with that return.

On 25/12/2023 at 00:51, SaintBobby said:

That last game of the season...Leeds v Saints....could be epic (also, could well be irrelevant too!)

Could be the 1st of 3 consecutive games against Leeds if we end up facing them in the playoffs.

On 29/10/2023 at 08:06, east-stand-nic said:

If we did win 8, draw two and somehow lose one, we would amass 26 points, giving us 50 in total from 25 games. Surely this has to be the aim?

Millwall v Southampton
Southampton v West Bromwich Albion
Huddersfield Town v Southampton
Southampton v Bristol City
Southampton v Cardiff City
Watford v Southampton
Coventry City v Southampton
Southampton v Blackburn Rovers
Queens Park Rangers v Southampton
Southampton v Swansea City
Southampton v Plymouth Argyle

Millwall v Southampton - WIN
Southampton v West Bromwich Albion  - WIN
Huddersfield Town v Southampton - DRAW
Southampton v Bristol City  - WIN
Southampton v Cardiff City  - WIN
Watford v Southampton - DRAW
Coventry City v Southampton - DRAW
Southampton v Blackburn Rovers  - WIN
Queens Park Rangers v Southampton  - WIN
Southampton v Swansea City  - WIN
Southampton v Plymouth Argyle ...

So, we've drawn three, but lost none so far. 

We've won 7, but have one more game to potentially get the 8th win that Nic hoped for.

Impressive stuff. Fingers crossed we win on Friday!

On 03/12/2023 at 05:00, east-stand-nic said:

Well, 13/15 points so far on that list of 11 games. If we can do the same again from the next 5, I think we will be 3rd and pushing Ipswich.

Not quite the 13/15 hoped for. We got 11/15 in the 5 games that followed this post. Two draws, three wins. Just over 2 ppg.

On 29/10/2023 at 15:06, east-stand-nic said:

Probably gonna get pelters for saying this, but at least 8 of these games are totally winnable. In fact, I see no reason why we should not win all 11. Most of these clubs should finish below us...I can only see Cardiff and WBA anywhere near our level (Potentially). If we did win 8, draw two and somehow lose one, we would amass 26 points, giving us 50 in total from 25 games. Surely this has to be the aim?

Millwall v Southampton
Southampton v West Bromwich Albion
Huddersfield Town v Southampton
Southampton v Bristol City
Southampton v Cardiff City
Watford v Southampton
Coventry City v Southampton
Southampton v Blackburn Rovers
Queens Park Rangers v Southampton
Southampton v Swansea City
Southampton v Plymouth Argyle

Almost spot on there. We ended up 51 points from 25. Great run. Now need to focus on the next run of games.

• Like 2

OK then. So, let's look at the next 8 games taking us to the end of February.

Southampton v Sheffield Wednesday 
Swansea City v Southampton  1
Southampton v Hull City 
Rotherham United v Southampton  3
Southampton v Huddersfield Town  3 
Bristol City v Southampton 
West Bromwich Albion v Southampton  0
Southampton v Millwall  3

Some very winnable games in there, but also a couple of potential losses/draws. I have feeling we will start to drop a few points here and there, which to be honest has to start happening sooner or later. Perhaps a bit negative with the draw at home to Hull, but as I say, sometime sooner or later we will start to drop a few unexpected points. This is 15 from 8 games, so almost 2 points per game still. Will it be enough to get us into second?

5 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

OK then. So, let's look at the next 8 games taking us to the end of February.

Southampton v Sheffield Wednesday 
Swansea City v Southampton  1
Southampton v Hull City 
Rotherham United v Southampton  3
Southampton v Huddersfield Town  3 
Bristol City v Southampton 
West Bromwich Albion v Southampton  0
Southampton v Millwall  3

Some very winnable games in there, but also a couple of potential losses/draws. I have feeling we will start to drop a few points here and there, which to be honest has to start happening sooner or later. Perhaps a bit negative with the draw at home to Hull, but as I say, sometime sooner or later we will start to drop a few unexpected points. This is 15 from 8 games, so almost 2 points per game still. Will it be enough to get us into second?

I think we will need to better 2ppg in this period to grab second. Harder fixtures follow too. Our last 18 games have been 2.33ppg, I’d be disappointed to drop below 2 during this period. 

As Saints fans we are conditioned to expect us to mess up. Keep proving us wrong, Saints!

• Like 1

The narrative for the season so far has been one of learning a new style of football and ( hopefully ) gradually getting better at it. That appears to be happening. 

A sweetener to the story is that the PB football that this style is based on takes more out of the legs of our opponents than of us. That also appears to be true given the above average number of late goals we score. 

We’ve also been told that it’s a long season and that injuries , suspensions and plain fatigue will all play a part. Squad depth in which case is vital. And that our squad is relatively stronger vs the rest of the league. The proof will be shown in these last 21 matches. 

We have delivered c 2pts per match to date and the stats suggest we will do at least, and more likely better, in these final 21 matches. 

Consequently I’d envisage somewhere between 42 and 48 points to be the most likely achieved tally in these matches. Major injuries to key players excepted of course. 

Anything under 42 would be disappointing imo given our form. 42 points is par and above 42 is what I hope/expect. A total of 95-100 should mean automatic promotion - but if it’s not fair play to the other two. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

I think we will need to better 2ppg in this period to grab second. Harder fixtures follow too. Our last 18 games have been 2.33ppg, I’d be disappointed to drop below 2 during this period. 

As Saints fans we are conditioned to expect us to mess up. Keep proving us wrong, Saints!

Looking at the 8 games Ipswich have in that period...

Ipswich Town v Sunderland 
Leicester City v Ipswich Town  0    
Ipswich Town v Rotherham United  3  
Preston North End v Ipswich Town  1   
Ipswich Town v West Bromwich Albion  1  
Millwall v Ipswich Town  3
Swansea City v Ipswich Town  3  
Ipswich Town v Birmingham City  1

Think they might get 13 points so they might still be just ahead of us. Really depends if they really have come off the rails.