Does anyone really miss the Prem?

washsaint

2 hours ago, trousers said:

Three years ago yesterday, we go top of the league with this result... I reckon our strongest 11 now could give that team a good run for their money... 

Screenshot_20231107-090856.png

That was as good as it got, it was a carry on from our end of season lockdown form from 19/20. My memory of the games after that one was massive inconstancy slowly progressing into losing every game as we were dragged into the pit towards the bottom by the end of the season, not to forget the inaugural 9-0.

That wasn't a very good 11 - from that lot I'd only have KWP, JWP, Romeu and maybe Bednarek at a push in a PL team. Ralph did amazing to coach that into a relatively consistent rabble for a year or so.

• Like 1

I still find myself looking at the Prem. table on occasions ..(ooops old age, or dementia kicking in ) ?

.....but in so doing I realise that the Prem. is , and always has been ..." 3 mini-leagues ".

The top 6-7 fighting for a Euro spot every season,  The mediochre midtable clubs who occasional get a good run, but just aren't good enough

...and the no-hopers who rejoice every season when they have survived for yet another year of TV money

We've been in all three categories in the last 10 years .....before (like last season)...the inevitable finally happens.

Do I miss the Prem. ? ...perhaps when we knock over Man U ., Arsenal or Tottenham, but I like seeing my team win too much.

I would like to see us get up again soon, but only with a squad good enough to stay there ..and doing it without spending 200 million.

On 05/11/2023 at 07:35, Paulwantsapint81 said:

Is a last minute winner against Millwall in Championship as much fun as a last minute winner against Spurs in Premier?

Well depends.. did I have the opportunity to see the Millwall last minute winner in the Championship when it happened? I did NOT.

so, i guess the answer is no.

I am happy we got it, i got to read about it, and saw a clip of it a few hours after it happened, but i can't say it was fun.

Edited by SaintTex

After the last few weeks when VAR has been the main talking point in a lot of high profile games, well, that is one reason I don’t miss the prem. I honestly think because maybe teams are quite evenly matched, and the pressure not to lose is more intense a lot of the football I’ve watched on tv has been frankly turgid and boring. 

I’ll admit that for the first time in many years I’m watching live football at St. Mary’s having bought a season ticket (really good value for us old people this season) so perhaps that is a factor but I just find it more exciting, more flowing and veryinvolving in the championship.

For or against, good or bad, a goal is a goal, offside is offside, you can celebrate or vent immediately without it being diluted by the interminable wait to see if the player’s big toe was offside. Also, being someone who remembers when a tackle could be full blooded, such a change to see refs seemingly letting perhaps more robust play go unchallenged. 

Will I celebrate if we go up? Of course, but I will fondly remember the enjoyment I’m getting being in this league.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 1

On 01/11/2023 at 19:14, Bad Wolf said:

Not even remotely. I'm loving this league.

The only thing is it's slightly harder to get a stream but I've managed to watch the bulk of every game I've been able to.

Get yourself a VPN, and buy a Saints Video Match pass for £170 - enjoy every game in glorious HD quality.

• 2 weeks later...

With all the furore over Everton, Chelsea and City it is clear the Prem is corrupt and money is at the root of anything.  It's become harder and harder for clubs to compete without huge investments and likely will only get worse.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Championship so far - it's been entertaining, no VAR, we are actually winning games and scoring goals and no 'champagne' clubs: just proper clubs with anyone capable of winning on the day.

Yes, we need promotion for financial, and to keep hold of players, reasons but the Championship is so superior to the Prem for sporting reasons.

• Like 4

On 19/11/2023 at 16:31, washsaint said:

With all the furore over Everton, Chelsea and City it is clear the Prem is corrupt and money is at the root of anything.                                                                                     It's become harder and harder for clubs to compete without huge investments and likely will only get worse.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Championship so far - it's been entertaining, no VAR, we are actually winning games and scoring goals and no 'champagne' clubs: just proper clubs with anyone capable of winning on the day.

Yes, we need promotion for financial, and to keep hold of players, reasons but the Championship is so superior to the Prem for sporting reasons.

Despite relegation we survived for many years without mortgaging St. Mary's to the hilt and without spending more than 20-odd million on any single transfer.

Perhaps we didn't always get value for money ; (Carrillo and others ) but compared with the amounts that some " big money clubs " squander on useless transfers 

that they regret soon afterwards,  I don't think we have too much to be ashamed of, and I think it's fun to win a few games and not just  fear a defeat every week. 

As a sometime " conspiracy theorist " I think that some of the 100+ million transfers we have seen in recent times only go to prove that some clubs have

no real idea of " the true value of players in the game " ...either that,  or it's a sly way of lau*dering money in the guise of buying " top players ".

It only goes to devalue the efforts of less-fortunate clubs who don't have the wherewithal to compete in the transfer market.   

Everton have become the first club to get punished, but some think they deserve it because they have paid out huge fees for some players that no-one else

seemed to be remotely interested in, and looking at some recent fire sales at " the top end of the Prem ". ... they are certainly not alone in that respect. 

The Premier League may be an incentive for players to improve themselves and succeed, but most fans only want to see their team win a few games regularly. 

On 19/11/2023 at 15:31, washsaint said:

With all the furore over Everton, Chelsea and City it is clear the Prem is corrupt and money is at the root of anything.  It's become harder and harder for clubs to compete without huge investments and likely will only get worse.

Absolutely this. The only thing I miss is the kudos of being called a Premier League team but, beyond that, the Championship is far more fun. My son and I are travelling to games looking forward to them again, rather than with a sense of imminent doom...

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache
  • Like 3