Stephens

Harry_SFC

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Serious question, Stephens has been at the club for 13 years now. What circumstances do people think would justify him getting a testimonial? He's 29 so could feasibly end up being at the club for 15-18 years. 

I thought a testimonial came after ten years. But is that ten years on pro terms? Otherwise every seventeen year old, who joined at seven, would expect a night in the lights.....

Maybe this is Kamari Doyle's issue!!

1 minute ago, Pwoite said:

I thought a testimonial came after ten years. But is that ten years on pro terms? Otherwise every seventeen year old, who joined at seven, would expect a night in the lights.....

Maybe this is Kamari Doyle's issue!!

Well he would have signed pro terms at 17/18 so he's still over the 10 years. Trouble is he's not made a huge amount of appearances in that time so it feels a bit odd saying he should get one...but at the same time he's shown the kind of loyalty we always criticise players for not having.

35 minutes ago, Oh no Mick Mills said:

I like Stephens. 

I think he's a better fit for us compared to Holgate. 

We all can see his failings but he plays in a way that suits our style. 

He's a good captain who loves this club and is a decent back up to Janny and Taylor. 

I think that’s the bit that’ll be hard for him, a captain and a leader, yes he has proved himself in that regard, love his passion and his aggression.

But ultimately it’ll come down to ability and no one can argue that JB and THB have been a solid centre back pairing, and I’m sure the club will look to strengthen that over the years (depending what league we’re in).

20 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Serious question, Stephens has been at the club for 13 years now. What circumstances do people think would justify him getting a testimonial? He's 29 so could feasibly end up being at the club for 15-18 years. 

Well given JWP had been here since he was 8 and made his debut in 2011 and there was never a mention of one for him I cant see any justification in Stephens geting one until, like Kelvin Davis, he retires. That seems to be more a benchmark now than the former 10-12 years service although given the amount footballers earn now compared with 40 odd years ago when testimonials were more common place that may have a lot to do with it.

5 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Are testimonials still a thing? When was the last time we had a testimonial?

Would have been Kelvin whenever he retired. 

They should still be a thing with the proceeds going to the players chosen charity. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Would have been Kelvin whenever he retired. 

They should still be a thing with the proceeds going to the players chosen charity. 

2016, forgot that, barely qualified, was only with us as a player for the minimum time required. Point is that testimonials were only ever for players when they reached or at least approached retirement and it usually meant they were still at the club (granted Mick Channon's was in 76 before he left to go to Man City and then came back until 82, but really that is another era). They used to be given in recognition of a player's long service and to ensure that they had something to help them in their retirement in times when professional footballers were not paid the astronomic wages they are these days. The idea of it being so that they can contribute to their chosen charity is a reasonably modern phenomenon I think. I guess if Stephens was still at Saints when he retires, which could be maybe 5 or so years down the line the club might consider giving him a testimonial, but I seriously doubt that will happen, because I doubt he will still be at St Marys. I can't see testimonials have much value in the modern game and if SKD was the last I would suggest the club probably feels the same. Testimonials would really have more value in my opinion if they were done for players such as Sam McQueen, promising careers ended by injury.

• 2 months later...